The Emperors - Where and how they died

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orange Julius, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

I ran across this article showing detailing where and how many emperors died and thought everyone here would enjoy the map and other information.

Many times there are several versions of how an emperor died. In these cases, the article seems to follow the most sensational version ... so take it for what it is... entertainment.

Source article:
    https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/veni-vidi-gone-a-death-map-of-roman-emperors

Map.jpg
    980x 2.jpg
    980x 1.png

To keep this coin related... here's a lowly coin of an emperor with one of my favorite imperial deaths... Valentinian. The coin isn't that exciting but that's ok, the story of his death is an interesting read.

https://medium.com/@MightBeJohn/the...an-emperor-valentinian-the-first-f464096bc016

ValentinianIRIC18or27a.JPG

Post a coin of the emperor with your favorite imperial death and mention why... or post any divi-series coins.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Andres2, randygeki, Bing and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Here is a rather cruddy Crispus that my son and I got at the Baltimore Coin Show in October.
    Quite the story surrounding Crispus and Fausta...I've read several different theories as to why. But they all end with Crispus being poisoned and Fausta being killed in an "overheated bath". I've also seen boiling oil. Not sure which it was. Either way, I'm sure it wasn't pleasant.

Crispus AE follis of Ticinum.
    Obv: IVL CRISPVS NOB CAES, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: PRINCIPIA IVVENTVTIS, Crispus standing left in military dress, holding inverted spear and resting left hand on shield. P in left field.
    Mintmark TT.
    Crispus AE follis Mintmark TT RIC VII, 73 P.jpg

Andres2, Bing, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Valerian's death ranks pretty high on the lurid scale. Depending on who you read, upon capture by Shapur I, Valerian was:

A. Killed by Shapur; stuffed with straw and kept as a trophy
    B. Forced to perform degrading services, such as being his Shapur's footstool, eventually killed
    C. Same as B, but allowed to "retire" in relative comfort, dying eventually of natural causes
    D. Killed by Shapur by being forced to drink molten gold (Game of Thrones, anyone?)

[​IMG]
    PHOENICIA, Tyre
    Valerian I (CE 253-260)
    Æ28.5 mm, 12.2 gm
    Obv: IMP CP LIC VALERIANVS AVG; radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right Rev: COL TVRO METRO; the building of Carthage: Dido standing left, holding cubit ruler and scepter, surveying construction; mason above gate, worker with pick-axe digging before gate, murex shell to lower right
    Ref: Rouvier 2501; BMC 470; cf Price & Trell 748

Andres2, Bing, Johndakerftw and 7 others like this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Gotta post this one because it came in the mail just today from AMCC! We're not quite sure how the fellow died. The Historia Augusta reports him murdered by his own soldiers in reaction to his strict military discipline. Jerome reports him killed, presumably in conflict with Aurelian. John of Antioch and Joannes Zonaras report that he committed suicide by opening his veins and bleeding himself to death. All records agree, however, that he died at Aquileia.

Quintillus SECVRIT AVG antoninianus.jpg
    Quintillus, AD 270.
    Roman billon antoninianus, 2.90 g, 19.6 mm, 11 h.
    Rome, 11th officina, issue 1, end AD 270.
    Obv: IMP C M AVR CL QVINTILLVS AVG, bust right, radiate, cuirassed and draped with paludamentum, seen from the front.
    Rev: SECVRIT AVG, Securitas standing left, legs crossed, holding short scepter in right hand, leaning on column with left elbow; officina mark XI in right field.
    Refs: RIC 31; MER/RIC temp 1194; Cohen 63; RCV 11451; Normanby 1197; Hunter 17.
    Notes: MER/RIC lists 10 varieties of this coin, differing somewhat in bust type and presence or absence and placement of the officina mark.

Andres2, Bing, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  6. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Here's a sestertius of Vespasian with Roma reverse. I'm going with Vespasian's death because he (reportedly) managed to keep his jocular wit intact right up to the end. When he realized his illness was likely to be fatal, he said "Oh dear, I think I'm turning into a god!" (in reference to the likelihood that he would be posthumously deified by the Senate). I can only hope that, when my time comes (and may it not be for many more decades), I can come up with something equally witty.
    Vespasian.jpg

Andres2, Bing, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

How about mushroom pig out/carbon monoxide poisoning/sounds pretty fishy to me.

Jovian

[​IMG]

Andres2, Bing, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  8. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Julian II another Emperor who met his just reward by getting a Sasanian spear stuck in his belly, pierced his liver, died an agonizing death.
    AV Solidus from Aquilia Mint/ coin has a minor rim knock:(
    ae5b5db9c0d230e8be7ced18045b3943.jpg

Andres2, Bing, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted