The Emperor Game! Can WE do it?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gam3rBlake, Sep 29, 2021.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I don't recall seeing yours before, Doug. I very well could have though.
    Your reverse is different than @Cucumbor's as well.
    I like it as well :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I like the bold posture of Victory, common to both @dougsmit's and @Cucumbor's examples. Very charming! (Is that what you noticed too, @furryfrog02?)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    furryfrog02 likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Exactly! It's not a pose that I have seen Victory in before.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Hey @zumbly, can you please drop in your Laelianus here?

Meanwhile I'll continue. We seem to be missing Tetricus I and II, so here they are:
    tetricus i.jpg
    tetricus ii.jpg

And continuing on from Aurelian, here are Tacitus (double ant) and Florianus:
    tacitus.jpg
    florian.jpg

Curtisimo, PeteB, DonnaML and 5 others like this.
  6. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Probus! I’m sure there will be a short stop here for some fun Probus coins.
    ProbusRIC58.jpg
    Probus_RIC922_HighRes.JPG
    ProbusRIC720.jpg
    ProbusRIC911.jpg
    ProbusEmmett3979.JPG

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  7. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Have we missed Vabalathus? Here he is with Aurelian:
    upload_2021-10-6_14-12-27.png

I haven't decided whether to clean this coin or leave it as it is. Does anybody have Zenobia? She's been on my shopping list for a while.

8. roman99

roman99 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Tetricus I
    AE Antoninianus
    270-275 CE
    19mm, 2.55 grams
    RIC 127
    Numiscorner, 2021
    [​IMG]
    Tetricus II
    AE Antoninianus
    Trier mint
    273-275 CE
    18mm, 1.83 grams
    RIC 272
    Numiscorner, 2021
    [​IMG]
    Tacitus
    AE Antoninianus
    275-276 CE
    Lyons Mint
    25mm, 3.44 grams
    RIC V-I 65
    David Showers, 2019
    [​IMG]
    Florian
    AE Antoninianus
    Rome mint, 276 CE
    22mm, 3.76 grams
    RIC 30
    Savoca, Feb 2021
    [​IMG]
    Probus
    AE Antoninianus
    278-279 CE
    Lugdunum mint
    22mm, 4.75 grams
    RIC 104
    David Showes, 2019

7Calbrey, PeteB, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Sorry I haven't kept up with this thread, but here's my Laelianus.

Laelianus - Victory 2608.jpg LAELIANUS
    AE Antoninianus. 3.55g, 22.9mm. Colonia Agrippinensis (Cologne) mint, AD 269. RIC 9; Mairat 231. O: IMP C LAELIANUS P F AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right. R: VICTORIA AVG, Victory running right, holding wreath and palm frond.

Limes, Curtisimo, PeteB and 7 others like this.
  10. wittwolf

wittwolf Well-Known Member

Here some more from Probus:
    Emperor Probus - Antoninianus - VIRTVS AVG - Lugdunum mint
    Probus Virtus.png
    Emperor Probus - Antoninianus - ROMAE AETER - Rome mint
    Probus.png
    Emperor Probus - Antoninianus - VICTORIA GERM - Rome mint
    Probus Victoria Germ.png

7Calbrey, PeteB, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

No, we don't have a Zenobia but she does bring up the question of who needs to be included in a list like this. Vabalathus was never really emperor and the few coins we have labeled AVG might be discounted as mistakes of understanding at a mint. We might free ourselves from a few other rare ones in this way but we will never agree where to draw the line. I wonder if Gordian I and II ever saw a coin bearing their image. By that time being supported by the Senate was not practical proof of status in the same way it was before having an army to back up your claim outranked support from a body that served/lived at the whim of a strong man.

All that said, those who know me know I 'value' my Zenobia 'Alexandrian' 'tetradrachm' that, before tooling, previously did service, I believe, as an as of one of the Flavians. I bought it as a fake and hope someday to find someone to leave it to that will find it as funny as I have. The coin came with an NGC ticket with a number identifying it as "Washingtons 1783-1795" but noted on the label "EXTENSIVELY TOOLED TO CHANGE I.D." which is certainly correct. Funny. Zenobia? No, but it is as close as I will get!
    rs2425bb9999zen.jpg

12. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Vabalathus was too young to be an emperor other than in name, and the real power behind the Roman Palmyrene throne was Zenobia who was essentially acting as regent. He’s as much an emperor as Edward VI was a king.

I see the Palmyrene Empire as having similar legitimacy to the Gallic Empire - both empires were functioning independent states in their own right for a while. In fact the “founder” of the breakaway empire, Odaenathus, had styled himself as king. So I see Vabalathus and Zenobia as “true” Roman rulers who belong in a Roman portrait series coin collection. (Not sure if Odaenathus issued any coins? What about Septimius Antiochus, who briefly led the Palmyrene breakaway state after Zenobia? Does anyone know?)

There are rulers whom everyone would agree are legitimate Roman emperors. And then there are grey areas including: - Regalianus (did he rule over any land at all & have any “imperial” authority beyond a bunch of soldiers along the Danube?);
    - Gordians I & II like you mentioned, who received official senatorial recognition but never lived long enough to exercise any authority in Rome
    - Rulers of the breakaway British, Gallic & Palmyrene empires who had clear authority over land and citizens and maintained a stable state at least for several years
    - Pseudo-emperors who never assumed the imperial title but exercised authority and minted coins nonetheless eg Clodius Macer
    - Puppet emperors who served as figureheads for Germanic masters of the soldiers (everyone who ruled the west after Valentinian III)
    - What about Syagrius who ruled a Roman rump state in Gaul long after the western empire “fell”?

Personally, I want to collect them all!

(Love your tooled Zenobia btw! I may need one myself to fill that expensive hole)

13. Harry G

Harry G Well-Known Member

I have a Vabalathus as Augustus :)

Vabalathus_ant-removebg-preview.png

wittwolf, PeteB, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
  14. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Harry G likes this.
  15. Harry G

Harry G Well-Known Member

Thanks! It's the rarest emperor I own

16. Marsden

Marsden Well-Known Member

17. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Damnatio memoriae I’m afraid!

Nero who? ;)

18. roman99

roman99 Well-Known Member

Andres2 posted a denarius of Nero

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Sorry forthe sidetrack. After Probus is Carus. A proper Carus coin needs a clearly bald head. I always like the shield coins that show the back side showing how they were held.
    rs3080b02042alg.JPG

20. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Is that shield handles, or the she-wolf with twins? Looks like the latter to me...

After Carus comes Carinus
    Carinus Fides Militvm.jpg

21. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

And with Carinus comes his wife:

P1170218 klein.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted