The Elgin Medal (Token): Request for Known Specimens

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Time Antiquarian, May 22, 2017.

1. Time Antiquarian

Time Antiquarian New Member

I am currently conducting research on the tokens issued with movements sold by the Elgin National Watch Company in the late 1870s. These tokens were announced in the 1875 Elgin Almanac, urging customers to only purchase Elgin watch movements accompanied with "The Elgin Medal." The reverse features the grade and unique serial number matching the movement.

These tokens fall within the Rulau IL-El-6 classification (my research does cover not the similar tokens from the Chicago Expositions).

I have already compiled observations from images available online and would now like to make a request for examples that might be in private collections. Please post an clear image of the back, if possible. Otherwise, the grade name and serial number would be appreciated.

ElginToken-Front.jpg ElginToken-Back.jpg ElginAlmanac1875-1.jpg

Nathan401 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Good luck. Wish I could help. Neat medal.

4. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I believe there are at least 3 major varieties of that Elgin Watch Co. medal - Rulau #s ending in 6, 9, and 10:

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/trade-tokens-rulau/176/?des=ms

Here's a pic of one from online in mint state, which you may have already seen:

[​IMG]

As an aside, here's the Elgin half dollar, a legal tender currency minted by the US Mint at Philadelphia! As home to a major international watch company, the City of Elgin surely has had its share of national notoriety, prominent enough to lobby for its own commemorative half dollar.

Pic from the 'net:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    ddddd, Time Antiquarian and Nathan401 like this.
  5. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

This one has seen some service:

[​IMG]
    Elgin National Watch Father Time Token

White metal, 30mm, 9.44gm

Obverse:
    Father Time carrying timepiece
    THE ELGIN NATIONAL WATCH COMPANY OF ELGIN ILLS
    INCORPORATED 1865

Reverse:
    ELGIN NATIONAL WATCH CO
    THIS CERTIFIES THAT / LEVER MOVEMENT NO. 860200
    NAMED / ELGIN NAT WATCH Co
    WAS MANUFACTURED BY US / OF THE BEST MATERIALS
    AND IS / WARRANTED / A GOOD / TIME-KEEPER

:)

6. Time Antiquarian

Brian - Thanks for your contribution. Could you confirm the serial number begins with "860"? If that is accurate, that would be the highest number I have recorded.

Thanks!

7. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I wonder how many people saw this token and assumed that the figure was the Devil.

I looked at the token with a magnifier before I posted and the number is correct.

:)

Time Antiquarian likes this.
  8. Time Antiquarian

Thanks for the confirmation.

Elgin used the Father Time figure in most of their promotional materials during this era. You will notice that he has dropped his hour glass in favor of an Elgin watch.

9. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

10. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

11. Time Antiquarian

Does anyone have an example of the Elgin Medal marked with the "B.W. Raymond" grade? I have yet to record a single observation yet.

Thanks!

12. dave coulby

dave coulby New Member

Time Antiquarian,
    I have a NEW Elgin listing
    1873 Token Rulau IL-EI 8 White Metal Elgin National Watch Co. (Regular Strike)
    Just had it slabbed via PCGS. It's in MS-62.

Dave

Personal information removed. Use PM 'conversations' for member to member conversation.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted