The Elderly and Coin Theft...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cplradar, Oct 20, 2021.

1. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I'm one of the chosen as well. He has me on ignore too. I actually feel honored.

I've said, apparently too many times, that his family and property's safety is his responsibility. He keeps deferring to the police. Everything about his posts is blaming someone else. He does not take any responsibility for his actions or inaction.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to the good old method of not reading or responding?
    It is a public forum, and any member can voice an opinion, regardless of popularity contest vote count.
    I am not a fan of telling a member to depart from a public forum, or publicly instructing the member to shut up, etc.
    A member has other members on ignore. And? That is the choice of the member, no? Why announce it, as if it is a badge of honor?

Is it equal to shaming the member for doing so? There is a choice offered by the forum to use an ignore feature. The member chooses to use it. It is also a good self restraint tool, no?

I never understand the public declarations of being ignored/blocked etc., as if it is a despicable action by the member that utilized the forum option.

green18 and CoinJockey73 like this.
  4. charley

Drs. Judith Rapoport, Hoehn-Saric and Mark Gold would disagree. I know.
    The member does not come close. At all. I know.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  5. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

greed is just part of human nature and some people just give into greed and do things most would never think of doing as long as it serves their greedy needs they care not who gets hurt

trust me i have been raised around greedy people most of my life and the bad thing was they were my family

6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I wanted to make it clear to other members that the OP would not see my post, nor be able to respond. I think people know should know why the OP isn't responding to my criticisms of his position as they form their opinions.

There is no "Badge of honor" BS. I feel it's important to post factual info and try to separate the subjective opinions. I also think it's important to call out, misinformation and nonsense on the forum. If I'm wrong, members can tell me so. Ignoring it only allows it to perpetuate.

I hope this adds clarification

7. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Sure, I'm elderly and vulnerable, have a large coin and currency collection. I also have a big gun and know how to use it. Better hope I don't get dementia I may shot anyone that comes near me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

green18, CoinJockey73 and charley like this.
  8. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Hello group,
    Not sure if this is germane to this conversation & realize there are many ways to protect a collection from being stolen in the 1st place. However I have taken the time to make a list of all the TPG coins I have in my collection (95% TPG) along with their TPG co. name & each registration number.
    (I'm sure others have done the same so this is probably not new news)
    I would hope that in the case of theft this list would be of some help to the authorities .
    J.T.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  9. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

While recording the cited information is essential, that information is not sufficient. Many investigating authorities such as police, insurance companies and the IRS will or may view this list as insufficient to prove ownership. I must stress that this list is not proof of ownership and may not or won't provide a valid claim on recovered property and is unlikely to result in an insurance payout. So, in addition to the TPG info, I also include:

- Photos of the coin and slab in hi-res detail including annotated details of die variety and notable features;
    - Date of purchase;
    - Venue of purchase (auction house, number and lot #), dealer, coin show, etc;
    - Purchase price with separate listing of insurance, S&H, buyers premium, etc.
    - Relevant valuation at time of purchase from various sources (Redbook, Greysheet, CDN retail, NGC, PCGS, etc.)
    - Paper receipts for every purchase of any significance kept in a fire-resistant location.

This information resides on my laptop, my backup hard drive, a thumb drive of just the Excel file but not photos, and for the most valuable coins printouts of photos and data sheets.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  10. charley

I did not call out your posts or any other member's post. I read your posts, and the declaration of objectiveness. You chose to post, just as I did. I do not need clarification of my opinion.

You seem a bit miffed, that I used the words badge of honor. Seems a little silly that your point of contention is a general thought stated on a public forum, by me, concerning the practice of ignoring another member, especially since the exact reason of the ignore toggle is just that.

As to alerting members why a certain member does not respond, as an explanation and justification for doing so, I doubt it, since every member here knows that every post by every member can be read, by 1) reading off line or 2) choosing to unignore a member that is on ignore.

What is going to perpetuate? Another member posting an opinion that you don't agree with, or a subject you don't like? Why not ignore that member, as a self restraint, as to what should or should not be "called out", in YOUR opinion?

Your opinion is as welcome as the opinion of any member. Making more of the issue than it has to be, and doing so at the expense of another member....and mentioning the member has you on 'ignore", does not mean the member is not entitled to post, or that there is a "need" to explain to other members why a member does not respond to you. Maybe the member thinks he/she is criticized continuously and chooses not to engage. Good. It is what the ignore option is for.

A member does not "like" another member. A member rubs another member the wrong way. A member may be exasperating to other members. The cure? Ignore, or don't respond (and no peeking once the member is placed on ignore....that would be cheating).

11. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Thanks Publius2,
    I forgot to mention that at I do have hi-res photos of each coin & hope that at the very least this is enough info for the police report & some action. I do have further info on your list but at best this is spotty.
    Guess you can't be too safe these days,
    J.T.

12. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

It would just be heart-breaking to present a list of stolen coins to the authorities and to then have your claims disbelieved. Yes, better safe than sorry. Plus, there are very good tax and estate reasons for this documentation.

GH#75 and J.T. Parker like this.
  13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Thanks for your reply @charley

14. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Hey Sallymagooch (@SensibleSal66) sometimes i wish I'd just kept my big fat mouth shut. Or in this case, my chubby digits to themselves :banghead::muted::facepalm::muted:

15. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

totally agree.
    Semper Fi

16. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

17. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

No that is not nearly true. You're just focused on this because it is controversal. There are plenty of discussions on Proof Ike and coins from West Africa and Museum coins etc .

-jeffB likes this.
  18. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I've been steadly discussing this all along. Usually I post on this topic on Sunday, but not exclussively. But I had a couple of days off. But there is no uptick. Although I do think we can use such a section. It is a regular column in coinweek and other forums have regular sections on coin theft and the topic is worthy. Additionally, some of our largest and best threads are from people who had their coins stolen. Being in this hobby is dangerous. People get shot and beaten for their coins. And there is an ethical issues involved. The behavior of these auction houses and TPGers needs to brought to light. They are just not doing enough to recover stolen coins or to keep them out of the trade. Instead they act like the dealer that had to return Dougs coins... they get annoyed as if it is your fault they brought stolen coins.

19. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

What whole story? The issue is more important than any individuals experiences. There is a broad track record over decades.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  20. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Thank you

21. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Draft saved Draft deleted