The Earth seen from space on a Roman coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by GinoLR, Jan 3, 2022.

1. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Here is an AE as of Faustina I, posthumous, depicting her as Aeternitas, the personification of eternity, facing left, on a globe, which I assume is Earth. It has been rather dark and wet recently. Is she sitting on California?

RIC 1159

10.92 grams

D-Camera  Faustina Senior, AE As, AETERNITAS, on globe, RIC 1159, 10.92 g 11-11-20.jpg

Parthicus, Curtisimo, Bing and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

You are probably correct Donna. This entire thread is very interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

DonnaML likes this.
  4. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Thanks for this helpful post and thread, @GinoLR! I've certainly been confused about this subject!

The Constantinian BEATA issue seems to have quite a variety of globe depictions. Mine seems to have one equatorial line and then two fairly widely spaced lines perpendicular to it - I guess modified by the engraver from the standard two perpendicular belts? (And what do the dots represent - land masses?)
    constantine altar.jpg

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I'm with @Victor_Clark on this one. The consensus of expert opinion seems to be that these coins depict the celestial sphere, not the earth.

Limes likes this.
  6. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

A very interesting thread @GinoLR . I have nothing of substance to add to the question of celestial sphere vs earth but I have enjoyed the read.

Here are a few relevant coins.

Poking the unsuspecting earth with a stick?
    1FD32FBB-9A05-4277-8631-2DA4DF71DE3B.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Severus Alexander
    AR Denarius, Antioch mint, struck ca. AD 222-235
    Dia.: 18 mm
    Wt.: 3.35 g
    Obv.: IMP C AVR ALEXAND AVG; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: PROVID DEORVM; Providentia standing left, holding wand over globe and sceptre
    Ref.: RIC 294
    Ex arnoldoe Collection, Ex Otto Helbing Nachfolger 86, Lot 1585 (Nov. 25, 1942)

This one is more of a glob than a globe. Or perhaps a deflated football? Deflate-gate AD 276.
    76A7403F-4070-4C1E-BE13-1D29BBAE5861.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Probus, BI Antoninianus, Tripolis mint, second officina, struck ca. AD 276-282
    Dia.: 22 mm
    Wt.: 3.82 g
    Obv: IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: CLEMENTIA TEMP•, emperor standing right, holding eagle-tipped sceptre, receiving globe from Jupiter, holding sceptre, crescent in lower centre, KA in ex.
    Ref.: RIC V(b) 927.
    Ex Doug Smith Collection (illustrated on his webpage for Probus), acquired in 1997 from Kreuzer

Spaniard, robinjojo, DonnaML and 6 others like this.
  7. savitale

savitale Well-Known Member

Great topic. I never really thought of those globes as being indicative of scientific knowledge.

8. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Some images of ancient celestial globes might be helpful.

upload_2022-1-3_21-54-39.png
    "Farnese Atlas", 2nd century AD, celestial globe carried by Atlas.

[​IMG]
    "Kugel Globe", 2nd-1st century AD.

Draft saved Draft deleted