Featured The Early Thalers of Joachimsthal, Bohemia, the Counts of Schlick

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by robinjojo, Feb 21, 2021.

1. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Bohemia mining scene 1500's.1.jpg

When the mention of silver coins comes up, one often thinks of the silver dollars of the United States, the 8 reales of Mexico and Latin America, or the Maria Theresa dollars, to name a few.

However, in the late 1400's and most notably the early 1500's there was intensive mining of rich silver deposits in Bohemia, in the vicinity of Joachimsthal (Jáchymov in Czech). Indeed one could argue that these deposits, along with those in the Harz Mountains of Germany and elsewhere constituted a major source of silver coinage in Europe, before the flood of silver arrived from Latin America later in the century.

As noted, in Wikipedia,

"At the beginning of the 16th century, silver was found in the area of Joachimsthal. The village of Joachimsthal was founded in 1516 in place of the former abandoned village of Konradsgrun in order to facilitate the exploitation of this valuable resource. Stefan Schlick was the founder of Jáchymov. The silver caused the population to grow rapidly, and made the counts Schlick, whose possessions included the town, one of the richest noble Bohemian families.

The Schlicks had coins minted, which were called Joachimsthalers. They gave their name to the Thaler and the dollar. The fame of Joachimsthal for its ore mining and smelting works attracted the scientific attention of the doctor Georg Bauer (better known by the Latin form of his name, Georgius Agricola) in the late 1520s, who based his pioneering metallurgical studies on his observations made here."

Bohemia mining scene 1500's.2.jpg

The inflow of this silver was instrumental in transforming the economy of Europe to one that was primarily agricultural in nature, to one fueled by commerce and trade. Silver coinage grew the merchant and banking classes, giving rise to an increasing middle class (although poverty was widespread nonetheless), and enabled the evolution of the modern states that we know today, notably England, France, The Netherland, Spain and Portugal.

Bohemia mining scene 1500's.3.jpg

Two coins are posted here. Both coins were purchased back in the late 1980's, the first coin from Karl Stephens and the second coin from World-Wide Coins of California.

Joachimsthal, Bohemia, No Date (1520-1525)
    Counts of Schlick
    Stephen
    Thaler
    Obverse: A.R.DOMI:SLI.STE:F:FRA.COD:B, Standing figure of St. Joachim, S and J to left and right respectively, the arms of Schlick below.
    Reverse: LVDOWICVSPRIMD:GRACIA.REX.BO, Bohemian lion facing left.
    D 8141
    28.6 grams

D-Camera Bohemia, Schlick taler 1520-25 Ch VF, D 8141 Karl 28.6g  2-21-21.jpg

Joachimsthal, Bohemia, 1526
    Counts of Schlick
    Stephen
    Thaler
    Obverse: A.R.DOMI:SLI.STE:F:FRA.COD:B, Standing figure of St. Joachim, the arms of Schlick below with the date to left and right.
    Reverse: LVDOWICVSPRIMDEI:GRACIA.REX.BO, a magnificent Bohemian lion facing left.
    D 8146
    28.7 grams

D-Camera Bohemia, Schlick taler 1526 Ch VF, D 8141 W-W 28.7g   2-21-21.jpg

Please post you Joachimsthal coinage and anything else you wish.

Thank you

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    jgenn, FitzNigel, talerman and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Good write up and 2 beautiful coins. I don't have any that old, my oldest is a Saxony thaler of 1763
    DSC00434.jpg DSC00435.jpg

4. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

While I do not believe that this is a Joachimsthal piece it is from a similar time period. This one came from Karl Stephens as well.

GerOet154103.jpg

1541 Thaler

Obverse: Shield of Öttingen arms divides date, ornate helmet with dog's head crest, titles of 3 counts
    Reverse: Crowned imperial eagle, titles of Karl V begin KAROLVS

Ruler: Karl Wolfgang, Ludwig XV and Martin
    Note: Dav. #9617

Composition: Silver
    Weight: 28.9g
    Diameter: 40.3mm

5. robinjojo

Nice coin!

When did you buy it?

6. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

It was in April of 2020.

7. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

A very informative write up. The undated piece is especially nice. As a side note, Karl is one of the most knowledgeable dealers that I have met. Very friendly and has an extensive inventory. I've bought several pieces from him over the years.

robinjojo likes this.
  8. PaulTudor

PaulTudor Well-Known Member

My ony Joachimsthal piece, 60 kreuzer 1568

BC90640F-D7DD-4123-8A85-DABC3373BC73.jpeg

9. robinjojo

PaulTudor likes this.
  10. robinjojo

Karl is one of the best old time dealers still selling world coins. I've known him since the early 80's, and many of the better crowns in the collection can be traced to Karl.

My buying habits have changed, with the evolution of Internet auctions and retail sales, so it has been many years since my last purchase from Karl, but still, I highly recommend him for world coins of virtually all denominations and countries.

11. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Bayern and robinjojo like this.
  12. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

really kool...i don't have a thaler(heck, i'm' too tight of tets), but do have a denar of Louie ll, king of Hungary, Bohemia and Croatia Louie ll Hungary denar 1516-26 001.JPG Louie ll Hungary denar 1516-26 003.JPG

Attached Files:

13. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

Here's my example of a Joachimsthaler from 1560.

1560_AT_1THv2.jpg

talerman, ominus1, Bayern and 6 others like this.
  14. robinjojo

A beautiful coin!

15. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Really stunning coins. I do not collect AR Talers/ but they are beautifull. Thanks for posting them.
    My only AR Taler from Holy Roman Empire/ undated/ Hall Mint 8011566560b1e3710aebd9a173f1441d (1).jpg
    Archduke Ferdinand 1564-90

Gallienus, talerman, ominus1 and 5 others like this.
  16. robinjojo

An excellent type coin. It looks uncirculated.

panzerman likes this.
  17. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Yes, Fruhwald had about 8 perfect specimens in auction. I decided just for the fun to get one.:)

robinjojo likes this.
  18. Vivec

Vivec New Member

Very neat coins, and I loved reading the write up! I especially like the obv design of your second Joachimsthaler!

Bayern and robinjojo like this.
  19. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Not that I'm that interested in antique coins, but I do like to look at them. Thanks for showing us yours.

robinjojo likes this.
  20. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Austria-Hungary BOHEMIA Ferdinand I, King of Hungary & Bohemia (1527-31), King of Rome (1531-58) but not yet Emperor Taler n.d. (1541-42) Joachimstal

Shamrock mm on both sides = Martin Kempf, mm in Joachimstal 1541-42

Austria-Hungary Ferd I Taler nd 1541-2 Kempf  Joachimstal LD obv 874.jpg Austria-Hungary Ferd I Taler nd 1541-2  Kempf Joachimstal LD rev 879.jpg

21. robinjojo

That's a really nice early thaler of Fredinand!

talerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted