Featured The Eagles of Akragas

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AncientJoe, Mar 29, 2014.

1. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I've posted this coin before, and was hoping to acquire its larger brother at a recent auction but unfortunately was significantly outbid. However, the writeup added some helpful historical context (and I recently took much better pictures of it) so I thought everyone might be interested in it here:

"The coinage of Akragas consistently depicted the crab and eagle since its earliest issue of the sixth century BC, and the best engravers were recruited to render these symbols of the city in the finest possible style. Late in the fifth century the coinage of the city underwent a remarkable transformation; like many of the cities of Sicily such as Messana and Syracuse, a renaissance began that saw numismatic art reach new heights of intricacy and magnificence. The traditional types were transformed, and the metamorphosis could not have been more pronounced - the previously static types are replaced by dynamic scenes full of activity and energy.

This particular design of the two eagles may have been inspired by the omen received by Agamemnon and Menelaos in Aeschylos' Agamemnon, where two eagles, representing the two kings, devoured a pregnant hare, an allusion to the forthcoming destruction of city of Troy. Such was the fate of Troy, and also of Akragas which was sacked and razed by the Carthaginians in 406 BC. Thus was this brief flourishing of vibrant art in Akragas brutally put to a premature end."

I'll quote another auction house for a description about this coin in particular:

"This splendid coin is truly one of the finest of all known fractions from Sicily. The engraving is meticulously detailed, the animals lifelike in every way, and the composition is a triumph of coin design. When compared with other contemporary issues from Akragas, such as the famous Skylla tetradrachm (as Basel 258 and Kraay/Hirmer 175) and that with the fly symbol (Kraay/Hirmer 177), there can be no doubt that the same master engraver was involved. It seems likely that this obol must have been a special issue; apparently all the known examples of the type come from the same die pair and it was, obviously, not designed for mass circulation. In any event, the beauty of this tiny coin is yet another piece of evidence to show how fanatically proud the Sicilians were of their coinages and how far they would go to obtain the very finest artists of the day to make them."

[​IMG]

Obol (Silver, 0.79 g 1), c. 410-406 BC. Two eagles standing right on dead hare, the one in front with closed wings and its head thrown back screaming in triumph, the one behind with wings open and head turned down, tearing at its prey with its beak. Rev. Crab with between its claws; below, grouper (polyprium cernium) swimming to right. Basel 263 = SNG Lockett 519 (same dies). Rizzo pl. III, 6 (same dies). SNG Lloyd 829 (same dies). Very rare. Beautifully toned, a superb coin of the finest style. Extremely fine.

To help show just how small this coin is, here it is next to a US cent:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suffice to say, engravers in the ancient world were quite impressive!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Indeed. It's hard, even with the size of a coin posted to get a good idea if its size unless its in hand or next to a more familiar coins Beautiful coin!

Jwt708 likes this.
  4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Here's one that is a little bigger than yours, but a little smaller than a dime. They skill to carve these amazes me.

cn213.jpg

chrsmat71, vlaha, jello and 5 others like this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thanks for the additional history! Such a beautiful coin and the cent comparison pictures really demonstrate the engraver's talent (and myopia).

You changed your reflection template. :( I like the deep black background which provides better contrast-- less visual competition of matching gray tones within the coin.

RE Aeschylos: did he really die of traumatic brain injury secondary to an eagle dropping a turtle on his head or is this just lore?
    AeschylosTurtle.jpg
    Edited to add: Aeschylos probably died due to delayed care. His attending physician, Asklepios, took too long to find the correct ICD10 diagnosis code. Which, in case you ever experience such an emergency, is W59.22XA, "Struck by a turtle, initial encounter".

Not to be confused with code W59.21XA, "Bitten by a turtle, initial encounter" or W59.22XD, "Struck by a turtle, subsequent encounter". Mutual of Athens will deny the claim if improperly coded.

(I am not making this up. Well, at least not the codes...)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Of the many magnificent coins AJ has shared with us, this obol is tops on my list. There are many variations on the eagle theme from Akragas but none strike me as showing the skill better than his. I have a very ordinary obol in very ordinary condition but slightly older and having the boustrophedon obverse legend that appeals to me for some odd reason.
    g00362bb2675.jpg This early bronze quadrans still has only the single eagle and offers a shrimp as the minor seafood reverse device.
    g00480b01134lg.jpg
    Much later is this bronze with Apollo and both eagles.
    g00520bb0486.jpg

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

duplicate

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow AJ => I agree with the gang => that's an absolutely stunning coin!! (thanks for sharing) ...

Yah, I only have a couple of old AE-cast Akragas examples (my examples must have been the early prototypes before your masterpiece was created?)

Sicily Akragas a.jpg
    Sicily Akragas b.jpg
    akragas 4 too too.jpg
    akragas 4.jpg

akragas 4 too.jpg

randygeki, jello, TIF and 2 others like this.
  9. AncientJoe

I was trying this one out to see if it would show the edges a bit better, which I feared were being lost a bit in the plain black images. I think it works better on non-silver coins, but could certainly benefit from some tweaking. Expect a private message soon :)

:D That is fantastic! I had to Google them and found several more hilarious ones:

Struck by a sea lion: W56.12XA
    Walked into a lamppost: W22.02XS
    Injured in an opera house: Y92.253
    Injured in an art gallery: Y92.250
    Injured in a chicken coop: Y92.72
    Injured when knitting or crocheting: Y93.D1
    Burned when water skis caught on fire: Y91.07XA
    Spacecraft collision injuring occupant: V95.43
    Bizarre personal appearance: R46.1

I wonder how many scenes on ancient coins or stories in antiquity can be reflected in the new healthcare codes? :D

Ardatirion, vlaha and Bing like this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:D

You found many of my favorites! I've got a running list.
    • W22.02XD Walked into a lamppost, subsequent encounter
    • V91.07XA Burn due to water skis on fire
    • R46.0 Very low level of personal hygiene
    • R46.1 Bizarre personal appearance
    • Z55.3 Underachievement in school
    • Z56.4 Discord with boss and workmates
    • V06.0XXA, Exposure to ignition of plastic jewelry, initial encounter
    • Y92.026 Swimming pool of mobile home as the place of occurence
    • W59.22XD Struck by a turtle, subsequent encounter
    • Z63.1 Problems in relationship with in-laws
    It might be fun to create insurance claims for emperors who met particularly strange ends. Valerian might be challenging, although given the 150,000 ridiculous codes, perhaps being turned into a footstool and death by forced drinking of molten gold (or being flayed alive and stuffed, depending on which historical soap opera you read) are hidden in there.

Ardatirion and chrsmat71 like this.
  12. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Fantastic coin AJ!!! Thanks for sharing the coin and info!

Those health care codes are hilarious!!!

13. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

In a chicken coop? I'm at risk!!!:eek:

14. AncientJoe

I meant to post this earlier - for those who aren't familiar with it, this coin's larger brother is the dekadrachm, possibly from the same engraver and ~500x more expensive, but a fantastic coin:

[​IMG] (description here: http://www.sixbid.com/browse.html?auction=472&category=10357&lot=485197 )

I held an even better example in the British Museum and was absolutely blown away by it. Akragas really knew what they were doing.

vlaha, chrsmat71, zumbly and 5 others like this.
  15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

great pic and info...the coin is about half as big as I imagined it was!

16. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Draft saved Draft deleted