The Eagle's armpit. A new 1944 Washington variety?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Skyman, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

I am NOT a variety guy. While looking for Washingtons for my Washington toner Danscos, I found this 1944 Washington. If you look at the eagle's left armpit (right side of reverse) you will see a raised feature trending from 7 o'clock to 1 o'clock. As far as I can figure out, it is not the result of a clash. I checked my Cherrypickers Guide (4th edition), and didn't find anything. Clearly the die had to have had a gouge in it to create this feature. Is this considered a variety or some sort of damage? Is this something worthwhile to send into Coneca? Thank you! The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1944_r64WA5o4t.jpg
    bc1944_r64WA5rV4.jpg
    bc1944_r64WA5rV7t.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Nice, yes send it!!

Skyman likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    Skyman likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Eagles have armpits?

john-charles likes this.
  6. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

I took a quick look around at some 44’s. Kinda looks like this: A9927F01-C329-4B04-8C27-4485187EF5EE.jpeg

Skyman likes this.
  7. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Why would this be the case? I’m only familiar with the 56 Proof Rev die gouge. I’d found quite a few years back before the flood gates opened. They were going for $1,500 in Cam.

8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Sky I personally would have it attributed to make sure...there's a lot of doubled dies both ddo's as well ddr's now as a variety collector thats a turn off... but I do believe that you have something worth looking into.
    Worst case scenario-$50. Best cast a new find and on the cover of error scope magazine. I am not a quarter collector, well seated yes ...Washington no...but yeah I dig deep on this one.

Skyman likes this.
  9. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

People ATS are saying it's a clash from George's queue. Seeing their overlays it certainly seems possible. I only assumed a clash would come from the outer part of George's queue, as that has a sharp delineation. It's interesting to see that in this case it appears to be part of the queue adjoining the neck. I am surprised, given all the Washingtons over all the years that I've looked at them, that this is the first time I've seen this.

WashieOverlay.png

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

It looks exactly like what @Casman posted. Where did the photo come from?

11. Mark68

Mark68 Well-Known Member

I believe it to be a clash. Second photo is a clash I found. Screenshot_20220131-154728_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220131-154536_Gallery.jpg

Skyman likes this.
  12. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

I just went on Ebay looked at a few and cropped. IIRC the coin was an NGC 67

I found quite a few that matched, but stopped looking as the reverses upside down makes me sick.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    Mountain Man and john-charles like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted