The Details Discount Thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Aug 23, 2017.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

From a suggestion by @KSorbo I figured we could use a thread where we discuss the values of problem coins.

The rules are simple:
    1. A problem coin*** with an approximate "guide price" for the closest problem free grade will be posted.
    2. Everyone has 24 hours to guess the price (as well as their thoughts of what the coin is worth).
    3. Provide a reason for your guess (if it is just a wild guess, please say so).
    4. The closest guess to the price that the coin sold for wins and gets to post the next coin.
    *Note: please don't post another coin until the prior item has a declared winner.
    5. If the winner does not want to post a coin or can't do so within 24 hours of being declared the winner, anyone is open to post their coin.

*Note#2: If the thread seems to lose interest, there may be room to alter the rules above.

***A problem coin is a coin that is already slabbed in a details holder or a raw one. It most likely would not straight grade for a variety of issues (like being cleaned, holed, scratched, polished, whizzed, damaged, etc).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

First up is this Lafayette Commemorative Dollar.
    CDN (greysheet) for MS 60 is $700 and the last MS 60 sold for $564 on Heritage (in 2016).

How much did I sell this for (note: I sold it Jan. 2016, but it does not appear that prices have moved tremendously on these lately; also note that it was purchased on GreatCollections and then sold on ebay...so the question is how much did it go for on ebay).

302912-1.jpg

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  4. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

Will the points only apply to this thread or will it also be part of the toned thread?

ddddd likes this.
  5. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

$457.89

ddddd likes this.
  6. ddddd

ddddd Member

This will be its own thread. So everyone starts from 0 and can work their way to the top!

7. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

$325

ddddd likes this.
  8. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Love this thread idea, a lot to learn here. $425 is my guess.

I've never seen an NCS slab, I thought they just went into normal NGC slabs after conservation?

ddddd likes this.
  9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

ddddd likes this.
  10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You bought it for $600 and flipped it for $800 on ebay.

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

NGC used to slab details coins in NCS holders from 2001-2009.
    In September 2009 NGC switched over to slabbing problem coins in NGC details holders.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/1379/Details-Grading/

MIGuy and IBetASilverDollar like this.
  12. IBetASilverDollar

ddddd likes this.
  13. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

$390

ddddd likes this.
  14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

Since you inspired the thread, it is destiny that you win the 1st post!

I sold the coin for $380. I had purchased it for $335. So after fees and shipping expenses, I broke even on it.

This was an early lesson for me about details coins. I had seen the $700 CDN price and thought it would be an easy sell at $450-$500. I soon found out that most dealers were not interested in buying it or were offering under $200. I did get a bit lucky when it sold on ebay and I learned a lesson that certain details coins aren't a great deal even at half off problem free prices (if looking to resell; if collecting for an album, that is a different story). I am more careful with details coins now. And I am certainly not saying to avoid them since great deals can be had; just be careful.

16. ddddd

ddddd Member

Points Table
    KSorbo - 1 Point

@KSorbo congrats and you're up....

MIGuy, C-B-D and green18 like this.
  17. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Okay, here is the only slabbed details coin I own. A bit different from run of the mill problem coins as the seawater effect has somewhat of a following. I've seen El Cazador 8 reales coins range from $50 to over $200 depending on remaining detail and eye appeal. I picked this one because it has intact devices and lettering and the dark background gives it a circ cam look even though technically it didn't circulate.

IMG_1354.JPG IMG_1355.JPG

18. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

19. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

20. IBetASilverDollar

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I recon $90......

Draft saved Draft deleted