The deeper meaning of coin collecting

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrbrklyn, Jul 3, 2012.

1. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Mike Noodle I agree. I've known Doug since the CoinWord
    board.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. areich

areich America*s Darling

Lets get ready for Flag day!

4. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Flag day was last month.

5. areich

areich America*s Darling

I must say I got a good sense of satisfaction when i got the WWF coins

6. chip

chip Novice collector

Just think if Adolf Hitler instead of putsching around beer halls and wanting to take over the world had instead decided to put together a complete Goetz medal collection, or instead aimed to have the best registry set of German states coinage? There you might have had a little world peace.

Or if Karl Marx instead of deciding to foment world wide revulotion had in his time in England decided to collect condor tokens, workers of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your change.

7. areich

areich America*s Darling

Deep thoughts indeed

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

[video=youtube;V4EdJ0tb4Gw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4EdJ0tb4Gw[/video]

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Lol @ Green, I loved that bit on SNL.

I guess I am somewhere between Mike and Doug. Coin collecting is a hobby, and while I believe its a great, civil pursuit its full of people. As such, it reflects the collective deficiencies of people. Couple that with the monetary aspect of the hobby, (no pun intended), and it can get even worst than just poor character.

I have seen both extremes, long distance friendships like I fortunately have developed here, or "screw your neighbor and take advantage of everyone" attitude of others in the hobby. Like any hobby, it gives what you take from it. Be a good guy and help others out it give you friendship. Act like a manipulative SOB and get treated the same way.

Karma.

10. areich

areich America*s Darling

I'm OK and so are YOU!

11. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

A whacked out population empowers whacked out people like
    Hitler. If he had not been around someone would have been.

12. areich

areich America*s Darling

Yes - like Diana Mitford

13. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Coin collecting definitely has a deeper meaning, if one likes to embrace periodic bouts of poverty and compulsivity. :)

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Sorry but I don't think we blame the German people for this one.

15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Double post deleted.

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Enough of the political ramblings.

17. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

Well as a young child coin collecting helped me through some troubling times. I was born 80% deaf and pretty much didn't understand the world. When people spoke to me all I heard was a muffling sound. My golden retreiver was my only friend. When I discovered coins (at age 4) it was incredibly liberating. I had a focus. I also feel as though it taught me a little bit of responsibility. I was accountable for something. Collecting gave me a great satisfaction.

Later on in life (2 years ago) I got back into coins. I felt as though the things that my friends were doing weren't very respectable. You can imagine. There is something about art/history in coin collecting that brings a certain degree of respect. I appreciate that.

18. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Periodic Morgandude? Nearly a full time vocation for me.:D

Bruce

19. areich

areich America*s Darling

The Four Coins!

Coins are so wonderful they make me sing!!

[video=youtube;jw6WrD3cOy4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw6WrD3cOy4[/video]

20. areich

areich America*s Darling

[video=youtube;uV2CY9nCKrA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV2CY9nCKrA[/video]

Thinking Positive with COINS!!!

21. areich

areich America*s Darling

love-token-2-big.jpg

expressing your love through coins!

Draft saved Draft deleted