The deeper meaning of coin collecting

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrbrklyn, Jul 3, 2012.

1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

On this 4th of July holiday I believe that it is important for each of us to take stock in our endeavors. Coin collecting is a deeply meaningful activity which causes only the best character traits to develop in its practitioners. As such, I that beseech each of us should leave a small message for future generations on the greatness of coin collecting and it contribution to humanity, society and world peace.

You start.

Ruben

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. protovdo

protovdo Resident Whippersnapper

4. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Is starting five new threads every single day a positive character trait? Maybe I need to cut back on the coins! :eek:

5. AngelKitty

AngelKitty Sparkles *n* Cats

Well if you hate the idea so much, why ask us to write a message? :p

6. protovdo

protovdo Resident Whippersnapper

You are to be respected.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

So what's so deplorable? :)

8. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Don't understand your thread CEO.

Bruce

9. TexasTwister

TexasTwister Member

I think the word should be implore: "Beg someone earnestly or desperately to do something"

10. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I would say it has failed miserably at all three.

11. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

If they are worth it it is. BTW - your off topic

12. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

There hasn't been a single thing said in this thread so far that is on-topic. What is the topic anyway? Oh right, you deplore each of us. Man, that sucks. :(

13. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

You're just loaded with little nuggets of wisdom, aren't you?

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I implore you to tell your story

15. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

Clearly some collectors aren't doing their part!

16. Chachie

Chachie New Member

Sort of like posting random ugly coins in other posters specific threads right?

17. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Your not going to sing a Micheal Boulton song next
    are you? :eek: Just teasing.

18. I thought the love of money was the root of all evil. :devil: ;)

19. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Well, I guess I'll start. Many of you know that I am a fourth generation collector, but it really goes much deeper. I loved to look at coins with my grandmother Anna. It was either coins, playing rummy or helping her bake a cake (really, I would like to lick the bowl). These are my fondest memories of her and I wouldn't have it any other way, except to still have her here.

These things I hold dear, so I continue to collect in the way that she did and my great grandfather and his father before her. Proofs for Philadelphia issues and business strikes for branch mints in an album. It is also a great passion of mine to spread my limited knowledge to my son Taylor (who is a new member here) in the hopes that he will continue the tradition set fourth by my Great-Great Grandfather so long ago.

Happy Fourth everyone.

20. Zlotych

Zlotych Member

The deeper meaning?

I guess it depends on your personal history. My dad collected a bit, as did his father before him. My pops showed me many of the circulated U.S. coins from the early 1900's, explained a bit of the history behind them, and explained my grandfather's military career and the significance of he coins he had.

My gramps had a $2.5 gold piece and explained how it was once commonly circulated and how the value of something that had a value of $2.50 later became much more valuable. We still have it in the family. It actually causes anxiety when I think about the future of that coin. My dad keeps it in a safe. I know I will never sell it, but will my son, or one of my future children or grandchildren, see its value to our family or get behind on a light bill and sell it for its monetary value.

I now stack silver eagles for my son. I collect other coins for the enjoyment the art and history gives me, and also the investment potential of owning something that will hold value or even gain value when I retire. I plan to sell them all when I retire (about 30 years from now) to furnish a small portion of my retirement, but also so none of my descendants wonders about sentimental value. I don't want to give them the same inner-conflict that coin gives me.

I continue to collect for the enjoyment of the art, the history, and the family connection. I honestly hope my dad sells all of this old silver and gold so I don't have to make decisions about it. He deserves a cruise and some steak dinners which is better than the fate I feel like I can guarantee those pieces. Maybe I'll keep a dirty old wheat cent he liked for sentimental value. I hold dear to me a silver St. Sebastian necklace my grandfather gave to me. Silver value = $20, value to me = irreplaceable.

I hope my son sells all of what I give to him and forgets the sentimental value. I want it to be part of a house for him or part of his child's college education.

In short, coins are pretty universal and pretty easily identifiable. They are family to me. If you don't have this type of history, they are pieces of metal.

For now, junior likes to pick out coins with pictures of animals and he spreads them out on his floor to look at. If he keeps this enjoyment, continue on. Otherwise, get money.

That gold piece? Maybe I tell my wife to bury me with it in my pocket. Maybe I tell my son to sell it immediately. The coin still cause me an ethical debate.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

When your son is older and he knows the story behind the coin, ask him what it means to him. That will give you some idea if he will keep and treasure it, or just turn it into cash.

Draft saved Draft deleted