Featured The death of Constantine The Great

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, May 22, 2020.

1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Thanks. I don't really count it as part of my collection, so I haven't ever entered it into my personal catalog, but it's still nice to know what it is I actually spent my quarter on more than 50 years ago!

Alegandron likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Billon argenteus Of Constantine I 318 A.D. Obv helmeted bust left with spear over shoulder. Rv Altar flanked by two victories holding up a shield. RIC 208a Trier Mint 3.44 grms 17 mm Photo by W. Hansen conmag310.jpg

Sulla80, dlhill132, zumbly and 14 others like this.
  4. Adriaan

Adriaan Well-Known Member

I am a fan! A few of my favorites:

As a caesar:
    151_OR.jpg

When he considered himself INVICTVS:

49OR.jpg

AN a nice bust:
    65OR.jpg

dlhill132, Clavdivs, zumbly and 13 others like this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Those billon coins are hard to come by I think. Nice example.

DonnaML likes this.
  6. Agricantus

Agricantus Allium aflatunense

+1. Meanwhile Ardashir I seems to get a pass. Cf Tabari & Nöldeke, Ardashir killed a lagre number of his brothers. In addition to all the local kings he killed part of his power grab.

Not much to add about C I. A very fine emperor with tremendous influence.

NicholasMaximus likes this.
  7. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

When I was in Rome with my son in 2008 and we visited the Capitoline Museum, I took this photo of the colossal bronze head, hand, and globe from a statute of Constantine I. (Although I recall reading that the head may have been reworked from one belonging to a different emperor.)

Detail Constantine head globe hand Rome 2008 2.JPG

I believe that a couple of years ago, the missing remainder of his index finger was discovered.

dlhill132, zumbly, Limes and 4 others like this.
  8. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Did you take a look at his triumphal arc, next to the Colosseum? It’s quite interesting. The decorations are a mixture of contemporary sculpture and older ornaments, taken from the Golden Age of the 2nd century:

B3BAB8F0-8C1B-4C35-BD90-1F8D9B4CF78D.jpeg 35BB45DC-A7B9-4B6E-BDD3-83BD2CBBC25B.jpeg FFA4376E-99A2-4FA5-A58D-BB2478490C60.jpeg 55FA2758-D309-42E7-AC43-2E43CCEA8356.jpeg

dlhill132, Limes, Cucumbor and 4 others like this.
  9. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Constantine minted various interesting coins. Some of mine favourites:
    Large follis from Thessalonica 6-7 gr
    image.jpg
    from Nicomedia with very nice patina 5gr
    image(2).jpg
    helmeted from Rome 3 gr
    image(3).jpg anephigraphic from Antioch 2gr
    image.jpg

dlhill132, Shea19, zumbly and 13 others like this.
  10. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Constantine has some of the most beautiful late roman coins.

col2_html_m770f3520.jpg
    col1_html_3fcf0c01.jpg

dlhill132, zumbly, Cucumbor and 9 others like this.
  11. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

It's missing a few letters of the obverse legend but I've always liked this one:
    ConstantineISirmiumRIC48.JPG

This one is new and a favorite as well:
    ConstantineIConstantinopleRIC32.JPG

12. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

My first and only Constantine is very special to me as I bought it where it was minted in London...a very special souvenir. 12121.jpg

13. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

Constantine I, the Great 307-337 A.D. Follis Nicomedia Mint

[​IMG]

AE Follis 2.80g. 19mm. 328-329 A.D. Nicomedia Mint. Pearl-diademed head right, CONSTAN-TINVS AVG / Camp gate surmounted by two turrets, no doors; star above; in ex.: SMNΔ PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG
    RIC VII 153.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  14. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Carl, with the pearl diadem, your coin is Nicomedia 153, struck A.D. 328- 329.

Orfew likes this.
  15. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

Thank you, Victor! I corrected the attribution.

16. OutsiderSubtype

OutsiderSubtype Well-Known Member

Here is one that I have:

img5534a.jpg

Constantine I "the Great" (AD 306 to 337). AE follis. 23mm, 3.33 g. Thessalonica, second officina, struck AD 312 to 313. IMP C CONSTANTINVS PF AVG. Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Constantine right. IOVI CONSERVATORI AVGG NN. Jupiter standing facing, head left, chlamys hanging from left shoulder, holding Victory on globe and leaning on sceptre, eagle with wreath left. In ex.: Dot TS Dot B. RIC VI 61b.

Given the mint and date it must have been minted by Licinius for his then-ally Constantine (as they were each looking for excuses to attack the other).

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  17. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Great write-up @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix and lovely coins. I've visited the museum in Rome, where the head is displayed. Very impressive, and to think it must have been quite the statue at that height!

Here are mine. I like coins of Constatine. There are many variations. I'm not quite sure if I 'like' him as emperor though...

With the pointy nose:
    91.2.png

Obverse with a Christian hint, or not?
    91.3.png

And the campgate type:
    91.1.png

18. Ricardo123

Ricardo123 Well-Known Member

Nice coins here. Constantino is a good emperor for Christians and freedom of religion. This one is from Lugdunum with nice detail.

EC3930F6-A64E-436B-9069-4592ADAF9261.jpeg

19. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Wonderful coins posted.. here are a couple of mine:

upload_2020-5-23_18-18-24.png

upload_2020-5-23_18-19-10.png

Obv: CONSTANTINVS AVG, laureate head right.
    Rev: D N CONSTANTINI MAX AVG, VOT XX within wreath
    Mintmark: Epsilon SIS sunburst
    RIC VII Siscia, 180.

20. posnerfan_48

posnerfan_48 Active Member

I only have a few common Constantines myself. But I can recommend David Potter's "Constantine The Emperor," an excellent scholarly treatment of Constantine's life. Potter tries very hard to recover the historical Constantine through contemporaneous materials like legal petitions to the Constantine and panegyrics celebrating his accomplishments. One particularly fascinating argument is that there is no contemporaneous account of Constantine witnessing the cross or chi-rho in his dream, all accounts were written after the fact. More fascinating is the argument that the chi-rho painted on his shields could have stood for Christ (Christos) or the greek word for "luck."

21. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

My only Constantine. It is Ex: Dattari bought from that Jesus Vico sale a few years ago.
    Constantine RIC VII Antioch 7.jpg

Carl Wilmont, Bing, DonnaML and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted