The Dark Side?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Razz, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

I once tried to see how many crown-sized foreign silver coins I could accumulate. It was fun, inexpensive, and I made money on them when I sold them years later. There are many worth having, and I would encourage anyone to start saving big, beautiful silver coins of the world.

longshot, Mr. Flute and Razz like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

4. Guy Ferguson

Guy Ferguson Member

I didn't intentionally collect foreign,but I have a lot of them. I don't know why you collect 1941, can you tell me? Is it just 1941 or 1941 and earlier?

Razz likes this.
  5. Guy Ferguson

Guy Ferguson Member

Escudo002.jpg
    The reverse of the avatar, 1 Escudo from Spain. it's the only foreign coin I've bought, all of my others were free. I still have coins from when I lived in Costa Rica back in 1960-1962.

spirityoda and Razz like this.
  6. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Wait until you get into world coins from the 15, 16 and 1700s ;)

And THEN watch as you get into ancients. Then you will truly have joined the dark (awesome) side

spirityoda and Razz like this.
  7. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Thanks for all the awesome replies! I think you all have articulated what I am thinking, it's the endless variety along with the history of the different countries that makes for fascinating coins.

8. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I think it is his birth year.

9. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

10. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Mexican coins were one of the first areas I focused on when I really dived into foreign coins. My goal was to have a complete set of everything since 1906, which is when a lot of their coins changed. It took a lot of time but it's mostly done, with a few still outstanding. There's just something about the designs I like.

I started with U.S. coins but I don't even think about them anymore. I still have them but never look at them or buy new ones. The problem with U.S. coins is eventually you get everything that's in your price range and then you're just looking at spending way too much to fill holes, or you just focus on getting better and better grades of the same coins. Why do that when there's a whole world out there of other coins to buy, and many of them quite affordable?

Here's a few random Mexican coins from my collection. 1950 mexico 5 pesos.jpg 1953 mexico 5 pesos hidalgo.jpg 1959 mexico 50 centavos11.jpg 1968 mexico 25 pesos best.jpg

11. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

As I said in my earlier post, this is one of my new directions for collecting.

Here's four recent buys:

coins_20190924_1.jpg
    coins_20190924_2.jpg

longshot, Chris B and Razz like this.
  12. Guy Ferguson

Guy Ferguson Member

Oh, I was thinking that dates 1941 and older might be silver.

13. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Razz, mlov43, lordmarcovan and 3 others like this.
  14. Guy Ferguson

Guy Ferguson Member

I like the Star Wars reference.

15. Guy Ferguson

Guy Ferguson Member

Wait, you know about my Lincolns & Morgans! How did you find out? LOL

16. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

Because this was the last year the Federal debt reached the outrageous amount of $57bil ???

17. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

All made up numbers anyway. Who cares about debt any more. Means nothing these days.

18. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Maybe 15 or 20 years ago (dang I'm old) the phrase 'darkside' started being used over on the PCGS forums to refer to the world coins. Well, maybe world and ancients, but pretty sure world coins. As that is a US coin centric message board (even more so back then) a few people even started calling Canadian coinage 'grayside'. I joked around that exonumia/medals were thus 'the farside'.

That said 'darkside' was (and sometimes still is) used pretty frequently over there.

@lordmarcovan may remember more details of the word use. I joined over there in 2003 and the term was established. So, that 15-20 year range is probably closer to 20.

19. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I joined in August 2001 over there and the term was already well-established by then.

A Darksider am I, to the core!

(Flashes secret hand signal to @Stork)

[​IMG]

Side note:

"Greyside" = Canadian
    "Farside" = Exonumia

(I have also increased my Farsider activity in recent years.)

See CU forums: Forum Lingo Dictionary.

(*Many terms apply here, and to numismatics in general, while others are exclusive to the CU boards. Lots of traditions and in-jokes over there.)

Razz and Maxfli like this.
  20. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Baaahaha! Brilliant! :hilarious:

21. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

My biggest mistake was purchasing my first foreign Dansco album (Mexico type.) Then came Canada, Ireland, Israel, Switzerland, Guatemala, Nicaragua, and way too many for my bank account to support!

Draft saved Draft deleted