The curse of the 1917-d.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by benveniste, Nov 26, 2010.

1. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

I suppose it says something than on this Thanksgiving week, when we should all remember our blessings, I'm posting about a curse.

Over 40 years ago, my brother "found" for me a 1917-D dime in EF condition. It soon became one of my favorites. I never asked how or why he had it, but it soon became a favorite of mine. Fast forward to 1987 or so. I had bought my first house, so I went picked up what remained of my childhood coin collection from my parents. The 1917-d was no where to be found. Fast forward another decade. The coin turned up, and I sent it to ANACS for grading. It came back in a PVC body bag, thanks to the 1960's era flip I had left it in.

So in 2007, I decided to replace it, and bought another coin advertised as Choice BU. It was, alas, cleaned, so it went back to the seller. Last week, I bought an NGC-63 copy. Here's what I got:

1917d10obv.jpg 1917d10rev.jpg

Larger photos at:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.benveniste/SlushPile#5543947508161677634
    http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.benveniste/SlushPile#5543947575563806978

This coin is perhaps the oddest of the bunch. The reverse is rotated by 15-20%, but what really concerns me is what appears to be a gouge and even a spot of wear on the obverse.

So what do y'all think? Is the 1917-D dime just a cursed date for me, or am I expecting too much from an MS-63?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yup, you're cursed !

If that coin's MS - I'm the King of Spain.

4. lupinus911

lupinus911 Member

I would not be surprised if you were. :p

5. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

When I see graded and encapsulated coins by the top two grading services as in this example, I just shudder . How, tell me how on earth do things this this happen . I would bring this coin to the next large show and speak with the NGC rep. I don't think the coin deserves a MS grade, period.

6. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

It's nice, but it's AU55 nice. I'd be pretty upset about that.

7. chip

chip Novice collector

In looking at the coin, I wonder if the 10 scrawled on the obverse above In God we Trust and below the L is on the slab or on the coin, Graffiti coins should not go for more than junk prices. Return to sender.

8. robbudo

robbudo Indian Error Collector

The fourth time's the charm?

9. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

[​IMG]

You was robbed!

10. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

The carbon spots aren't very sexy either !

11. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

Saludor !

12. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

The seller has agreed to accept a return, so I'm only out shipping costs. That still doesn't explain how that coin got into an NGC-63 holder, though.

13. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

glad you got a return, seems fair from the seller. Maybe you should have kept it ( if you got it cheap enough ?), and let NGC buy it back ??

I'm not familiar with that particular issue but the spots turn me off.

14. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

15. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

I paid a reasonable market price for an MS-63 without FB. Sending it back to NGC is a gamble, which, thanks to the seller's honesty and integrity, I don't have to take.

The one time I tried sending a coin back to PCGS, it disappeared. Shortly thereafter, a Newport Beach (IIRC) postal worker was arrested for stealing coins from the mail. It took a few months, but did finally collect on my USPS insurance.

16. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

This one looks nice - 1917-D, maybe you can bid on it.

17. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

$400-$600 is a hell of a lot less than $10k.

18. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Yes - but there was not a cost restriction and it is very nice in my opinion. I don't assume to know what others can afford. :) There is also an AU-53 coin on Heritage that does not look too bad.

19. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

It is very nice but out of my price range. My budget might stretch as high as an MS-64FB, but the only PCGS example I know of for sale is at an asking price of $1779. And after this episode, I'm not sure I trust NGC for this series.

20. Elbesaar

Elbesaar Junior Member

I know the coin you speak of - and I inquired
    about it for my Dad's Birthyear collection.

They came down a little - but I felt the coin
    was worth $1100 - 1200 - and not a cent more.

Needless to say - the PCGS price guide has the
    1917-D in 64FB at $1,100 - and a 64+ FB is at $1500.

I also hear you regarding the NGC graded coins -
    although I recently bought the Eliasberg 1917-S Dime
    [ not a FB ] in NGC 66 - and I'm very happy to own it.

I'm still looking for a nice 63-64 - 1917-D Dime myself -
    and its one coin that is on the top of my priority list.

Good luck to both of us !!

21. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

I just got this one -- perhaps I've broken the curse at last:

1917dObv.jpg 1917dRev.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted