The "Cracked Leather" Patina

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Theodosius, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Looking at this Byzantine Follis attributed to Romanus III it struck me that its patina looks a lot like old, cracked leather. It has the exact color of aged and undyed leather than has been through a lot. It is a very attractive patina in hand and one I have not seen too often. The old, cracked leather affect is more noticeable in hand than this photo shows.

Romanus III Follis 2a.jpg

The idea for naming this patina type was inspired by @lordmarcovan 's seminal thread on the Circulation Cameo or "CircCam," which is a great name for a very particular type of attractive toning that can occur on silver coins, both modern and ancient:

What is a "CircCam", you ask? Look and see! And post yours! | Coin Talk

Unfortunately, some of the lord's photos have gone AWOL but there are many in the thread that illustrate his concept.

Post your Cracked Leather Patina coins!

John

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

Not quite leathery, but still the same coin!

classBcombo2.jpg

What I love about Byzantine coins is that the variety in patinas is so vast that you could collect the same type over and over again, and yet the coins will look completely different.

I noticed that too in some older threads. Is it a side-effect of the technical problems the site had last week?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very cool!

Ricardo Montalban would be proud!

5. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

That is a nice example, only a few 100 more years and it will develop some good cracks! It is so true how there is so much variation in patinas. Here is another Romanus III that I bought for its attractive patina:

Romanus III Follis 1a.jpg

Looking through my albums and trays I am not finding any other CLPs!

I think they definitely command a big premium on the market!

LOL

6. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the CLP , distracts to much from the design of the coin.

Jezus Christus Byzantium 15 gr b (2).jpg Jezus Christus Byzantium  Haga Sophia (2).jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted