The Count of Monte Cristo

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Noah Worke, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Noah Worke

Noah Worke Well-Known Member

For a school assignment over the summer, I read the monstrous "Count of Monte Cristo" and, having enjoyed it so much, began to look at coins that could tie in to the book. Edmond Dantés had 4 alternate identities that he used throughout the book. Abbé Busoni, the Italian, Lord Wilmore, the Englishman, The Count of Monte Cristo (from Monte Cristo) and Sinbad the Sailor, whose nationality isn't directly mentioned, but he is named after "Arabian Nights". Because of this, I thought I would buy four coins relating to the novel, creating a "Monte Cristo Collection". The novel took place from 1815 to 1844, so I'm looking for coins in that timeframe as well as from the four places his alternate identities are from. France (since Monte Cristo has no official coinage), Italy, England, and for Sinbad the Sailor, an Arabian coin. I have no knowledge of that part of the world, but that's what this is about. As a bonus, I will also probably buy a coin from Spain and Greece, since they are also important lands in this novel. I haven't been looking at any terribly expensive coins (I have to fund my Black Series addiction after all) but Boardwalk Numismatics has been mainly where I have been browsing. Anyway, if anyone has anything to add or any advice in my search, I'd appreciate it and I invite you all to post your coins that could relate to the Count of Monte Cristo!

IrishLuck, panzerman, Chris B and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

Morocco is considered 1 of the Arabic countries. you could start with that
    1934 Morocco.jpg

panzerman and Noah Worke like this.
  4. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Hello Noah,
    As a non-coin tie-in to your Count of Monte Cristo/Edmond Dantes interest I recommend the 2005 movie 'V for vendetta'. Lots of famous English actors, loads of action and a real prescient movie for the world situation in 2022.
    (If you have not already seen it, that is)
    Cheers,
    J.T.

5. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

The 2002 movie The Count of Monte Cristo with Jim Caviezel is one of my favorite movies of all time. I highly recommend watching that one too.

6. Noah Worke

Yeah I'm for sure going to be watching it, in fact that's what the whole class will be doing after we test on the book.

7. Noah Worke

That's a really pretty coin, I'm definitely going to start there!

8. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Really like the coin. Here's one of mine
    Monte-Cristo-Sandwich-tasteandtellblog.com-1-768x512.jpg

serafino, panzerman, MIGuy and 3 others like this.
  9. dirty_brian

that looks tasty

10. Noah Worke

11. Noah Worke

I've been looking at coins on eBay, and having heard some horror stories, I have decided to keep my budget low because if I spend sub- 100 on all the coins, I won't be out as much if one or two happens to be fake. However, when I was looking, I found this beautiful French coin. I'm probably going to spend more on French coins anyway, because that is where the majority of the novel takes place. I'm not sure on the pricing of world coins, but this one seems pretty good for what it is. I may be in the minority here, but I love old, worn silver for some reason. Check out this coin, tell me what you think: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2849636660...sTMGIqHqGR5RypUDrkMyGjj0k=|tkp:Bk9SR6TpiOboYA (sorry I don't know how to add a link to plain text, so it looks a little messy)

MIGuy likes this.
  12. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

For UK its a interesting period you have the Regency, George IV, William IV and early Victoria.

Personally I would go with a Coin from William IV who was a short term but very interesting monarch with his use of the his power primarily to help democratised the UK and Hannover (although his highly unpopular brother ended Liberalization in that Kingdom ).

And of course once total the Dowager Duchess of Kent(mother of Victoria) that he only hope to live until the Princess came of age so the Duchess would not be Regent and was the last to acknowledge his illegetiment children

Plus he was a navy man and called Sailor Bill

Took a quick look there as some shillings on E-bay for around $30

And for Italy(there being no Italy during the time) maybe go Tuscan since Monte Cristo was part of the Grand Duchy ?

MIGuy and Noah Worke like this.
  13. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

That's not bad. A quick search on MA shops got some slightly cheaper, ditto VCoins:

1833 5 francs - Ancient, Objects, Artifacts | MA-Shops
    Search Ancient Coins | US Coins | World Coins | VCoins.com

Though most of these options are from sellers outside the US, so shipping might take a bit longer.

MIGuy and Noah Worke like this.
  14. Noah Worke

Well, if I can save a few bucks I can have all the patience I need. This site seems to have better variety, too. Also probably more trustworthy than eBay, seeing as MA Shops or Vcoins don't have any derogatory nicknames.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    The Meat man likes this.
  15. Noah Worke

Interesting, the book doesn't say much about UK politics, so it's good to look into this. I agree with going for a coin of William IV, he sounds like he was quite a pivotal character in the landscape of modern England.

When I was looking on eBay for Italian coins of the period, I was somewhat confused until I saw that it was multiple states previous to being a unified country. Tuscan does sound like a good place to start, it's mentioned in the novel.

16. dirty_brian

i have around 36 5 Francs. they were really cheap for awhile.
    1828 T France 5 Francs.jpg

panzerman and Noah Worke like this.
  17. Noah Worke

Yeah, they don't seem to be terribly expensive now either, but they are not cheap anymore. I have been looking and the sheer amount of options and I decided I'd look for a 1938 from Paris, since that's when the Count takes his revenge. Numiscorner has had a multitude of options to choose from. I also wanted to get an 1815 from Marseilles, but the price made sure that wasn't going to happen.

18. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Someone - @dadams, I believe it was - is a teacher who incorporates numismatic tie-ins as visual aids in his curriculum. He’s also into rare books and ancient coins, and I get the feeling you two might click, @Noah Worke.

It is refreshing and exciting to see a new generation of bright and studious YNs like yourself take up the baton with such gusto, and run with it.

Hmm. Profile says he (Doug Adams) hasn’t been seen since March. I hope he’s doing OK and returns. You’d really like him.

IrishLuck, green18 and Noah Worke like this.
  19. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

This coin would have been in circulation at the time....
    Also/ something to compete with Tibor.....raspberry/blueberry pancake/ I eat these every second day. IMG_1405.JPG c8a225adbb1425664c1c1824fb169713.jpg

20. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I just watched the 1934 film "The Count of Monte Cristo" with Robert Donat.

:)

panzerman likes this.
  21. Noah Worke

I haven't seen it yet, is it good?

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted