Featured The CORNUCOPIA challenge

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Nov 10, 2019.

1. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

and Taras:

AR Didrachm, Calabria, Tarentum 281 - 272 BC, Period VII, Sostratos magistrate

20 mm, 6.56 g
    Ref.: Vlasto 713; HN Italy 1001; SNG Copenhagen 874; Evans VII, A2; SNG ANS 1, 1085

Ob.: Naked warrior on horseback facing right, holding shield and two spears in left hand and thrusting spear downward with right; on the left outer side ΓY (or EY ?)(engraver’s signature), ΣΩΣTP - ATOΣ (magistrate's name)
    Rev.: Taras riding on dolphin facing l., holding cornucopia in l. hand, and Nike with laurel wreath in r.; ΠOΛY to left, thunderbolt to right, TAPAΣ below

upload_2019-11-11_1-11-51.png upload_2019-11-11_1-12-44.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

I have a few....
    corn together.jpg

NLL, Valentinian, Deacon Ray and 20 others like this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Here's one where the cornucopia is actually being used, with Abundantia pouring out the goodies...

Elagabalus - Den Abundantia 2515.jpg ELAGABALUS
    AR Denarius. 3.38g, 18.8mm. Rome mint, AD 218-222. RIC 56. O: IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: ABVNDANTIA AVG, Abundantia (or Annona) standing left, emptying cornucopia; to left, star.

NLL, Valentinian, Deacon Ray and 17 others like this.
  5. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Even though Bing already posted one (Bing is well cornucopiaed I guess ;) ), I couldn't but post that one too

[​IMG]

Q

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Good idea for a thread-- everyone is likely to have something to contribute :).

@zumbly-- that Elagabalus is really cool. Why don't I have one? Hmm. (scribbles on the list). The Hadrian is fantastic as well.

@Spaniard-- nice collage of cornucopiae!

Held by Annona, who is swapping swag with Ceres:
    [​IMG]
    Nero
    struck in Rome, CE 63
    Orichalcum sestertius, 34 mm, 26.7 gm
    Obv: NERO CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG GERM P M TR P IMP PP; laureate head right, wearing aegis
    Rev: ANNONA AVGVSTI CERES; Ceres, veiled and draped, seated left, holding corn ears and torch, her feet on stool, facing Annona standing right, holding cornucopia; between them, modius on garlanded altar; in background, stern of ship
    Ref: RIC 98. Cohen 24

Held by Dido:
    [​IMG]
    PHOENICIA, Tyre. Julia Maesa
    CE 218-224/5
    AE 27, 12.71g (11h)
    Obv: IVLIA MAE - SA AV[G] Draped bust right, wearing stephane
    Rev: TVRIORVM Dido standing left on deck of galley sailing right, extending right hand and holding cornucopia in left; to left, sailor throwing sack of sand overboard; to right, sailor extending right hand and holding curved staff in left; stern decorated with a shield and aphlaston, [two murex shells] in exergue
    Ref: CNG e320, 12 Feb. 2014, lot 323 (same dies). Rouvier 2408

Held by the personification of Africa:
    [​IMG]
    HADRIAN. CE 117-138
    AR Denarius. 18 mm, 3.53 gm. struck CE 134-138, Rome
    Obv: HADRIANVS AVG COS III P P, laureate head right
    Rev: AFRICA, Africa with elephant skin headdress, reclining on rock, holding scorpion and cornucopia, basket of fruit before her
    Ref: RIC II 299

Held by Athena:
    [​IMG]
    CILICIA, Tarsos. Valerian I
    253-260 CE
    AE 32 mm, 19.06 gm
    Obv: AVKΛΙΠOVΛΙOVAΛЄPIANOCCЄ; Π - Π; radiate, draped, and cuirassed (?) bust right.
    Rev: TAPCOVMH TP OΠOΛЄΩC; A/M/K - Γ/Γ in fields; KOINOBOVΛION ЄΛЄVΘЄ__ in exergue; Athena seated left on throne, holding cornucopia and dropping a voting pebble into amphora to left; shield below.
    Ref: SNG Levante 1193; SNG BN 1821-2 (I do not have these reference books; references taken from similar ex CNG coin)
    ex Doug Smith

Held by the genius of the Roman people:
    [​IMG]
    Commemorative Series under Constantine I
    330 CE; Æ 14.5 mm, 1.16 gm
    Constantinople mint, 1st officina
    Obv: POP ROMANVS; draped bust of Genius left, with cornucopia over shoulder
    Rev: Milvian Bridge over Tiber River; CONS//A
    Ref: RIC VIII 21; LRBC 1066; Vagi 3043
    ex E.E. Clain-Stefanelli collection
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/celebrating-the-site-of-constantine-is-vision-and-victory.280747/

Held by Homonoia:
    [​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Aelius
    137 CE
    Billon tetradrachm; 23 mm, 13.16 gm
    Obv: ΛAIΛIOCKAICAP; bare head right
    Rev: ΔHM EΞOVC VΠAT B; Homonoia standing left, holding cornucopiae and patera over garlanded altar
    Ref: Emmett 1350.2; Köln 1271; Milne 1539
    Secret Santa gift 2018; Ex Theodosius Collection
    Ex John A. Seeger Collection

Held by a half-man, half-crocodile mutant:
    [​IMG]
    Egypt, Alexandria. Trajan
    AE drachm, 32.07 mm, 18.28 gm, 1 h
    Regnal year 15 (111/12 CE)
    Obv: [AVT T]PAIAN C-ЄB ΓЄ[PM ΔAKIK]; laureate bust of Trajan right, drapery on left shoulder
    Rev: Harpocrates of Canopus with hindparts of a crocodile, standing left, pointing finger at mouth and holding cornucopiae; LI - E across field
    Ref: Emmett 500.15; Milne 659
    ex Tom Buggey Collection

Held by Nilus:
    [​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Trajan
    Regnal year 18 (114/5 CE)
    billion tetradrachm, 24 mm, 12.8 gm
    Obv: AVTTPAIANAPICEBΓEPMΔAKIK; laureate bust right, star in right field
    Rev: draped bust of Nilus right, crowned with taenia and lotus bud; cornucopia at left shoulder; LI-H
    Ref: Dattari 670 (this coin); Dattari-Savio plate 26 #670 (this coin); RPC 4851.16 (this coin cited); Emmett 387.18, R4.
    ex Dattari collection (Giovanni Dattari, 1858-1923)

Held by Zeus-Ammon-Serapis-Helios-Poseidon-Nilus-Asklepios:
    [​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Antoninus Pius
    year 5, CE 141/2
    AE drachm, 20 gm
    Obv: Laureate draped bust of Antoninus Pius right
    Rev: Radiate and draped bust of Serapis-Pantheos right, wearing calathus and horn of Ammon; trident and cornucopia behind; L-Є in right field
    Ref: Emmett 1676.5, R1

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Another double is Septimius Severus / Fortuna FORT RDEVC from 'Laodicea'
    In addition to the two cornucopia and the reverse spelling, this coin has the unusual obverse legend split placing the second I of IMPI---I under the head.
    rh2835fd3437.jpg

8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

How about a couple of grandchildren coming out of cornuacopiae?

Antoninus Pius TEMPORVM FELICITAS Sestertius.jpg
    Antoninus Pius, AD 138-161.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 22.64 gm, 31.5 mm, 12 h.
    Rome, AD 149.
    Obv: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XII, laureate bust right, slight drapery on left shoulder.
    Rev: TEMPORVM FELICITAS, COS IIII in exergue, S C across field, crossed cornucopiae from which a grape bunch flanked by two grain ears hang, surmounted by confronted busts of two children.
    Refs: RIC 857; BMCRE 1827-29; Cohen 813; RCV 4236; Strack 1026; Banti 411.

You may read more about this coin type here.

9. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I think the connection to Amaltheia is fairly late, whereas the connection to Acheloios is part of a very long-standing tradition. Here you can see a tiny cornucopia beneath Acheloios Volturnus.
    95345DA8-7283-4F72-A3D5-49DAAD5D0736.jpeg

CAMPANIA: Cales, AE Obol (7.75g), 280-272 BC. Laureate head of Apollo right, CALENO before/ Achelous Volturnus as a man-faced bull standing left, head facing, lyre above, cornucopia below, A in ex. Sambon 920; Fiorelli 834; Moretti 46; MSP I, 154 (this coin illustrated).

Deacon Ray, octavius, Shea19 and 11 others like this.
  10. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

I’ll buy the Achelois connection. This is much later of course, but the cornucopia remains part of the river god iconography, as in this Hadrian drachm from Alexandria, showing Nilus:

5F6DDE65-C42B-4451-948B-22F30E5419CF.jpeg

Deacon Ray, octavius, Shea19 and 12 others like this.
  11. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Unless the horn is brimming over with some kind of content (commonly fruits and veggies, but other things too) I have to question whether or not it represents a cornucopia. Case in point is the OP image of Hades and Persephone (Pluto and Proserpina in Latin) in which the god holds what appears to be an empty horn and extends a stemless kylix to his bride (I presume). Appearing as it does at the bottom of a 5th century "cup" would lead me to believe that the horn is not a cornucopia but rather a simple rhyton. That would be the object of this form when associated with drinking as this context surely must be. That might nuance the appearance of the horn image on our coins too, since drinking had a cultic and political significance in certain contexts, most notably the ratification of a treaty or other type of agreement. I would associate this cup with the Eleusinian Mysteries. So I would suggest that unless it is running over with something solid at the top, it might not be a representation of plenty, but of concord, or, in conjunction with an elevation of political status, perhaps celebration.

In this regard, at least two, possibly three items on page 1 of this thread might be questioned as cornucopiae. Which ones?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  12. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Thank you for your interesting cornucopia thread @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix ! As I was reading it I was thinking to myself that I must have a few coins with a cornucopia image on them. I never thought I’d find as many as I did.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

13. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

This was announced as a pile-on thread, so I'll be shameless:

Moneta (personification of money and coinage) with cornucopia and scales:

Rom – Septimius Severus, Denar, Emesa, Moneta.png
    Septimius Severus, Roman Empire, AR denarius, 194–195 AD, Emesa mint. Obv: IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS II; head of Septimius Severus, laureate, r. Rev: MONET AVG; Moneta, draped, standing l., holding scales in extended r. hand and cornucopiae in l. hand. 18mm, 3.32g. Ref: RIC IV Septimius Severus 411A.

Rom – Postumus, Antoninian, Moneta.png
    Postumus, Gallic Roman Empire, AR antoninian, 262–266 AD, Trier mint. Obv: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG; bust of Postumus, radiate, draped, cuirassed, r. Rev: MONETA AVG; Moneta, draped, standing l., holding scales in r. hand and cornucopiae in l. hand. 23mm, 2.96g. Ref: Mairat 246–7/320–1; RIC V Postumus 75/315.

Felicitas (personification of happiness) with cornucopia and caduceus:

Rom – Septimius Severus, sestertius, Felicitas.png
    Septimius Severus, Roman Empire, AE sestertius, 195–196 AD, Rome mint. Obv: L SEPT SE[V P]ERT AVG IMP VII; 29.5mm, bust of Septimius Severus, laureate, with drapery on l. shoulder, r. Rev: [DIVI] M PII F [P M] TR P III COS II P P; Felicitas, draped, standing l., foot on prow, holding caduceus in r, hand and cornucopiae in l. hand. 29.5mm, 20.23g. Ref: RIC IV Septimius Severus 701b.

Rom – Philip Arabs, Antoninian, Felicitas.png
    Philip I "Arabs," Roman Empire, antoninian, 248 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP PHILIPPVS AVG, bust of Philip I, draped and radiate, r. Rev: P M TR P V COS III P P, Felicitas standing facing, head l, holding caduceus and cornucopia. 22mm, 3.84g. Ref: RIC IV,3 Philip I 6.

Rom – Postumus, Antoninian, Felicitas.png
    Postumus, Gallic Roman Empire, AR antoninian, 263–266 AD, Trier mint. Obv: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG; bust of Postumus, radiate, draped, cuirassed, r. Rev: FELICITAS AVG; Felicitas, draped, standing l., holding caduceus in r. hand and cornucopiae in l. hand. 23mm, 2.71g. Ref: Mairat 265/317.; RIC V Postumus 58.

Providentia (personification of foresight and making provisions) with cornucopia, wand, and globe:
    Rom – Maximinus Thrax, Denar, Providentia.png
    Maximinus Thrax, Roman Empire, denarius, 236–238 AD, Rome mint. Obv: MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG GERM, bust of Maximinus Thrax, draped and laureate, r. Rev: PROVIDENTIA AVG, Providentia standing l., holding wand pointing at globe in r. hand and cornucopia in l. 20.4mm, 3.5g. Ref: RIC IV.2 Maximinus Thrax 20.

Rom – Tacitus, Antoninian, Providentia.png
    Tacitus, Roman Empire, AE antoninian, 275–276 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP C M CL TACITVS AVG; bust of Tacitus, radiate, draped, cuirassed, r. Rev: PROVIDENTIA AVG; Providentia, draped, standing l., holding baton in r. hand and cornucopiae in l. hand; at her feet, globe; in exergue, XXIA. 22mm, 2.97g. Ref: RIC V Tacitus 92.

Liberalitas (personification of generosity) with cornucopia and counting board:
    Rom – Commodus, Denarius (Liberalitas) .png
    Commodus, Roman Empire, denarius, 182 AD, Rome mint. Obv: M COMMOD[VS ANTON]INVS AVG, laureate head of Commodus right. Rev: LIB AVG V TR P VII IMP IIII COS III PP, Liberalitas standing left holding counting board and cornucopiae. 18mm, 2.24g. Ref: RIC III, 36A.

Different genii ("spirits" of specific places, people(s), or other entities) with cornucopiae:
    Rom – Trajan Decius, Antoninia, Genius des illyrischen Heers.png
    Trajan Decius, Roman Empire, antoninian, 249–251 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP C M Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG; bust of Trajan Decius, radiate, draped and cuirassed, r. Obv: GENIUS EXERC ILLVRICIANI; Genius of the Illyrian army standing l., holding patera and cornucopia, modius on head, standard to r. 23mm, 4.67g. Ref: RIC IV Trajan Decius 16.

Rom – Severus II, Follis, Genius.png
    Severus II, Roman Empire, AE silvered Follis, 305–306 AD, Heraclea mint. Obv: FL VAL SEVERVS NOBIL CAES; laureate bust of Severus II r. Rev: GENIO POBVLI ROMANI; Genius of the Roman People standing l., holding patera and cornucopiae; in exergue, HTS. 28mm, 11.24g. Ref: RIC VI Heraclea 25,S.

Deacon Ray, octavius, Shea19 and 12 others like this.
  14. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Cool cornucopias! Here are a few of mine.

The First Jewish Coin and its Modern Descendent
    5C7A82A1-9441-400C-9651-ECA2F3CCBBCD.jpeg
    Hasmonean Dynasty of Judea
    John Hyrcanus I, 134-104 BC
    AE Prutah, Jerusalem mint, struck ca. 129-122 BC
    Wt.: 1.82 g
    Dia.: 15 mm
    Obv.: Paleo-Hebrew inscription in wreath; Greek letter alpha above
    Rev.: Double cornucopia with a pomegranate between horns
    Ref.: Hendin 1132

433A4C60-1B37-47C5-B1F7-A47FB65240EC.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Trajan (AD 98-117)
    AE Sestertius, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 115-116
    Dia.: 32 mm
    Wt.: 20.94 g
    Obv.: IMP CAES TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI P P Trajan draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: SENATVS POPVLVSQVE ROMANVS at bottom FORT RED / S C Fortunate seated holding holding rudder and cornucopia
    Ref.: RIC II 652

Hadrian: Benefactor of Africa
    F7D9C11A-75CC-44A3-B1EF-F8208C6E2A82.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Hadrian (AD 117 – 138)
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 134 – 138
    Dia.: 17 mm
    Wt.: 2.98 g
    Obv.: HADRIANVS AVG COS III PP; Laureate head right
    Rev.: AFRICA; Africa with elephant headdress reclining left, holding scorpion and cornucopia, basket of grain at feet
    Ex L. Rose Collection

7A84D47B-67DF-4C7F-BF2D-2BBF710402EB.jpeg

Roman Empire
    Geta as Caesar
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 198-200
    Dia.: 18 mm
    Wt.: 2.33 g
    Obv.: L SEPTIMIVS GETA CAES. Bareheaded and draped bust right.
    Rev.: FELICITAS TEMPOR. Felicitas standing left, holding caduceus and cornucopia.
    Ref.: RIC IVa 2

70370304-96E1-408D-ABCF-34D03FC0905F.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Claudius II Gothicus (AD 268-270)
    BI Antoninianus, Cyzicus mint
    Obv.: IMP C M AVR CLAVDIVS AVG; Radiate, draped bust right
    Rev.: FORTVNA REDVX; Fortuna standing left holding rudder and cornucopia
    Ref.: RIC V:I 233 var. (Bust right not in RIC)
    Ex John Anthony

3E47B11E-04BD-462D-8B65-42F0BD788ACD.jpeg

Roman Empire
    Constantius I (as Caesar, AD 293-305).
    AE Follis, Siscia mint, 2nd officina, struck AD 295
    Dia.: 28 mm
    Wt.: 9.79
    Obv.: CONSTANTIVS NOB CAES Laureate head of Constantius to right.
    Rev.: GENIO POPVLI ROMANI /B /*SIS Genius standing left, holding patera and cornucopia. Ref.: RIC 90a

15. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

16. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

A very enjoyable thread indeed. Here are 2 from Antoninus Pius -

Antoninus Pius - GENIVS ROM POP Nov 018 (0).jpg
    Antoninus Pius Denarius
    (140-143 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P COS III, bare head right / GENIVS POP ROMANI, Genius of the Roman people standing front, holding scepter and cornucopiae.
    RIC 70a.
    (2.90 grams / 17 mm)

Antoninus Pius - Sest. Securitas July 2017 (0).jpg

Antoninus Pius Æ Sestertius
    (156-157 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

ANTONINVS AVG P[IVS PP IMP II], laureate head right / TR PO[T XX COS IIII], Securitas seated left on chair formed by two cornucopiae, with sceptre. SC in exergue.
    RIC 967; BMC 2016.
    (26.47 grams / 30 mm)

I wonder what sitting on a cornucopia felt like? It doesn't look very comfortable, but I suppose it depends on what end you were on!

Curtisimo, octavius, Bing and 8 others like this.
  17. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Maximianus:

maximian1.jpg

maximian2.jpg

Maximin Daia:

maximinus1.jpg

maximinus2.jpg

maximinus3.jpg

maximinus4.jpg

Hadrian:

hadrian3.jpg

hadrian4.jpg

Curtisimo, octavius, Bing and 10 others like this.
  18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Cornucopia Daia

[​IMG]
    RI Maximinus II Daia 305-308 CE Folles AE30 Trier mint GENIO POPV-LI Genius-Serapis stndg

[​IMG]
    RI Maximinus II Daia 305-308 CE AE20 GENIO POPVLI Genius stndg bust of Sol cornu star H RIC IV 164b

19. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

The cornucopiae as arrived today.

Cr 58/3, minted in Rome in about 207BC - a big one, at 45.25g. Cornucopiae above the prow on reverse. 20191112_013906~2.jpg

20. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

It is used today as a symbol on the Peru, Wisconsin and Idaho flags. I wonder if we have CT member’s in these areas ??

21. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Lucius Licinius Lucullus Ar Cistophorus Ephesus 68-67 B.C. Obv Cista Mystica with snake emerging. Rv. Two snakes flanking bow case. Above grain ear flanked by crossed cornucopiae DeCallatay 3.1 11.39 grms 24 mm cistopephesus11.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted