The Complete INDIAN HEAD CENT Set discussed in other forum FINALLY posted to Great Collections!

Discussion in 'Auction Listings' started by JJS, Apr 6, 2019.

1. JJS

JJS New Member

I was told I have to post this here, edited

Ian from GC finally posted the set, but all individually listed, as was recommended. Strange happenings though.. NGC graded higher than expected, however threw on controversial "details" grades, which local dealers and experts here disagree with, (to some extent, as several were said to have "possible old cleaning"). NGC also failed to note two clear overdates, so Ian is sending them back to be corrected.

Here is some of what I posted in the other thread to describe the set, with a couple of links..
    --------
    Well, the entire Indian Head set is now up on Great Collections, so those are probably the best photos of each coin that is possible, since they professionally imaged each one, both sides.
    I have to say that the controversy on NGC's "details/cleaning" grades has intensified greatly.
    To recap: the local dealer who examined the set and put his own unofficial grades on them all, (he has been an expert coin dealer and collector for decades), is at odds with NGC over a lot of their claims of "cleaning" on a lot of the coins. He was going to give us $8K for the set, factoring a 20% markup, and sell for over 10K. According to so many here, the set was supposedly worth up to double that. Then, we got the $14K offer from someone on Etsy. But everyone on these forums unanimously told us that we should send to Great Collections. OK, all seemed great, and NGC came back with grades on most of them, HIGHER than the local dealer estimated! (We did think he was undergrading them). So even better, right? Until Ian gave us an estimated final sale of.. less than 5K? Wha?
    Not kidding. How can this be, if the grades were higher than the dealer who was valuing them at 10K plus, and was ready to give us 8K cash on the spot? Apparently it's all because of the supposed "cleaning" and other weird details that NGC slapped on them. However.. each coin is now professionally imaged in high res, and I guess our only hope is that people LOOK at the images and not just take NGC's word for it.
    Everyone who looked at the pictures I posted before estimated a total value for the set at or over 14K..
    Everyone can now see each coin perfectly imaged by GC.. what does everyone think? Do all of these seemed "cleaned" to you? The lowest offer we had before was 8K from the local dealer who graded them lower than NGC ultimately did.. so how did we get to an estimated 5K, when even a professional dealer knows he can sell for over 10K? (And now for even more, since, as I've said, the grades turned out to be better than his!). If this plays out, lots of people sure are going to get deals, and make tons of money off our set, but it won't be us. It's almost like they just slapped cleaned on them automatically when some are clearly not. They messed up on two overdates also, not even noting the overdates, and Ian had to send them back to get "fixed", which we are still waiting for.. Wow. But what can we do now? Just hope people actually look at the images and go by their own judgements, I guess?
    As for the links to the listings, I'm not sure how to post the group, as they are all listed individually.. but they are listings numbers 692159 through 692217.
    The 1877 is here:
    https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/692213/1877-Indian-Cent-NGC-AU-Details

The 1909-S is here: (They claim a scratch.. I don't remember that ever being mentioned by the dealer who examined them, nor do I notice in the images?)
    https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/692161/1909-S-Indian-Cent-NGC-Unc-Details

I think you can get to them all by just changing the number in the link below :
    https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/692159
    And incrementing up to 692217.

edited
    Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2019
    Seattlite86 likes this.