The colors of Queen Victoria

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by brg5658, Dec 23, 2015.

?

Which coin strikes your fancy the most?

1. 1868 Maundy 4 pence

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. 1892 half crown

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. 1899 sixpence

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I like them all equally

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. None, I hate toning

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I have long been an admirer of British coinage of the Victorian era. In October of 2012, I found a lovely toned Maundy 4 pence with the young head bust. From then, I thought it would be fun to put together a toned set of Victoria silver coinage bust types. In October 2013, I was able to add a nice Jubilee head half crown, and just two weeks ago I added an old veiled head example to my small set. Now I'm just being patient to find a nicely toned gothic head coin that suits me. :D

To spice it up a little, I'll add a poll to this thread. Which coin strikes your fancy the most?

Thanks for looking,
    Brandon

=========================================

Young head
    [​IMG]

Jubilee head
    [​IMG]

Old (veiled) head
    [​IMG]

sonlarson, Sallent and Aidan_() like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

4. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I voted for the first one because I thought the toning fit the coin with it's design better than the others did with their designs. That being said, I especially like the 1892; they just didn't highlight where it would be more aesthetically pleasing to me.

5. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Umm, yeah... what Frank said. It was very hard, but I really like the half crown. ;) Those coins are simply amazing Brandon!

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@brg5658

I really like the reverse toning on the 1892.

Chris

7. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Absolutely love the 4d Maundy. I'm a huge fan of the Victoria young head. I own a few pieces myself, but yours is delightful!

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Nice toners. :)

The 'young head' is my fav.

9. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

Your not going to find the same toning on different sizes and weights, IMHO.

10. brg5658

Care to clarify? I missed whatever point you were trying to make with regard to my post. o_O

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Went over my head too, Brandon. BTW.......lovely photos. You always display your finds with such precision and beauty.

12. krispy

krispy krispy

Nice pieces, Brandon. The toning on the Maundy is nice, but the darned things are just so small, despite the lovely Young Head design. I voted the Jubilee head, mostly due to the intricacies of the reverse design which I've always enjoyed. I think you'll find a toned Gothic will set you back a pretty Penny. ;) Are you going for a Gothic Florin or Crown? I'm looking forward to seeing this thread updated with both or either someday. At least there are plenty of toned British pieces out there to choose from. Best of luck with your search.

13. brg5658

I am pretty sure the pocketbook will only take a Florin...as much as my desire is to have a Crown. Thanks @krispy !

krispy likes this.
  14. brg5658

I was sort of kidding when I gave the option of "None, I hate toning" in the poll -- but I guess it takes all kinds. To each his/her own...we have one hater so far! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted