The Coinstar Conspiracy.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Thank you all for being most entertaining.(I would insert some sort of amused emoticon here if I believed in them.)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Let's put "assumptions" aside... and let's go by facts.

FACT: The Coinstar Machine has an internal reject tray.

Steel cents, silver dollars, and world coins go into this tray. This is photographically evident.

FACT: Anything kept in this tray is probably not counted.

Again. Photographic evidence. These coins "may or may not be counted". So we can conclude that these coins may not get counted.

FACT: You do not get paid for anything that goes into this tray.

If it gets counted, you get paid, if it does not get counted (which means it would go into the tray), they keep these coins of YOURS.

FACT: They do something with all of those coins.

I cannot say for fact what they do with these coins, but where do the world coins go?

4. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Thank you! That is exactly what I would expect. The stores do clean out the machines, and the junk bin is to throw away or whatever. They do not monitor those interior trash bins, and the only thing they are concerned with is the contents area (the bags that then get counted at a secondary site).

5. Detecto92

The mods don't have to lock this thread. If they find any of the 9/11 links/images offensive, they can remove them...or they can PM me and I will take them down at once.

So...we have another member who states that the machine has an internal bin that keeps ike dollars.

So they keep world coins, steel cents, and ike dollars, and they DO NOT pay you for them.

Instead of making this bin on the outside, where you could collect them and take them back home...they KEEP THEM.

That's stealing in my book.

I am going to call Coinstar tomorrow, and ask some information about this reject tray.

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

You just won't quit, will you? I'm tired of you, detecto. You're blocked.

7. Seriously, I am going to have to face this ridiculous post on a coin forum?
    No

8. Kasia

If world coins, silver coins, steel cents, etc go into the interior bin, how come I have found coins from New Zealand, Russia, Mexico, Netherlands, Canada and other countries coming out of the front reject bin???????

Anything in the reject bins (in and out of the machine) will probably not be counted. Mainly because the money dispensed by the machine (via a slip of paper) is based on the number of coins counted. The machine can have an off count and count dimes as pennies, and canadian coins as US coins, yet reject them. Counters are mechanical and if a coin gets past a certain point it's counted. Or the counter can be off. Doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that the coins aren't really counted until they are at the third site and then the official count happens. The store or bank then gets their money. If their machine is off, and they get paid more than they paid out, then that's gravy. If they get paid less, then that's their loss. It's part of the deal from what I understand (purely from asking people in charge of the maintaining/dumping of the machines).

If coins go into the interior junk bin, they may or may not have been counted. Probably haven't been counted, but the person maintaining the machine is taking it as a trash bin, and dumping it, and being able to either save or not save the coins that might be in it.

Where do the coins go???? Well, they can go in the trash can (proved from being told it was dumped there, and my getting the coins out of the trash), or they can be given to the person who is using the machine, if the person cleaning the machine agrees to give it, or someone at the store or bank may know that sometimes coins go there, and save them themselves, or if the person who is using the machine when it stops up sees Ikes or something in there, they can say those are theirs, and the person will give them to that person.

9. Detecto92

You have entirely missed my talking point.

1. Why have an internal bin? Why not put this bin on the outside?

The answer is that they want to KEEP everything in said bin. As others have stated, this bin keeps Ike dollars.

If they did not want to keep the contents of the bin, they could just put the bin on the outside, making the contents come back to the rightful owner.

10. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

If I was running a machine that had multiple signs that said "Do Not Put XX or XX Coins In This Machine" and people did it anyway. I would also keep them, even if they went into a reject bin and were not counted. Somebody has to pay people to clean them out! An internal reject bin is absolutely necessary when dealing with that kind of volume; to weed out non coins, trash and such as a lot of items make it past the first rejection bin due to the amount of coins going through at one time. This should be a no-brainer but then again.. common sense is not very common...
    The reject coins are considered trash no matter what YOU or anyone else thinks they are worth. To Coin Star they are trash, that must be removed. Consider it a tax on people who don't read the signs...

11. Detecto92

The problem is that it does not say "do not put", it says "may not be counted or rejected".

The keyword here is MAY. If they didn't want to keep the ikes, they would put DO NOT.

If they put "may not" then people will still try it (to CoinStar's advantage).

The reject bin is not for trash. I have ran partial and even half a section of cents (dug zinc cents from metal detecting) through the machine and it spits them right back out.

My point is that there is a purpose for an internal reject bin, which is only to be use for PROFIT for CoinStar.

12. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

You are absolutely right Detecto... you got them! Millions of dollars worth of equipment and overhead so they can get a free Eisenhower dollar once or twice a week.... You sir.. are a flipping genius!!!

13. Kasia

No, I didn't miss any of your points. Refuted all I could, but still the insanity continues. Guess that's to be expected from conspiracy theorists.

14. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

Hate to break it to you, but I found a steel cent in a coinstar reject bin, conspiracy dismissed.

15. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

What is the point of this? And why bring 9/11 into this?

16. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Did you even read the posts of people like myself who have opened the machines to access the reject bin? CoinStar has nothing to do with the reject bin as the machine doesn't count any coins in this bin, therefore CoinStar gets not a cent of anything in the bin. Where I worked we deposited all the money in there if U.S. coinage into the store chains 'lost money account' which the store would get to keep after the time restrictions on it passed. Others state that they threw the coins away or people just took them so I guess it depends on the store but CoinStar doesn't get anything from that either. In fact I exchanged money for coins in the reject bin many times and kept foreign coins for free because the store didn't care as long as the deposit matched the count from the bin it didn't matter if it was in coins or paper money. But we never gave that money to CoinStar and CS never asked for it because the machine never counted it.

17. Exactly...Just shows the mentality of the OP

18. coreymon77

coreymon77 New Member

hahahahahah! Oh man, this thread is an absolute riot! Conspiracy theorist are just so much fun sometimes! XD

19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Keep it calm. If a person can't determine what is allowed by the rules , do not post. Mods are not going to be convenient editors for anyone. Thank you.

Jim

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

This was absolutely hilarious. Nut or troll? I'm thinkin' nut.

There may be an easy explanation (too easy?) for the internal rejection bin and that is to catch the slugs and washers that the unscrupulous types would try to pass off as real money, and not give it back, so the ruddy sods can't try to pass it off again.

So long Detecto. It's been memorable. Alveterzane, adieu, sayonara, goodbye.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.