The Coinstar Conspiracy.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It is not the Coinstar machine but the gas pump that is stealing your money. TC

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

Detecto, I've never been offended by any of your posts, but are you aware that sometimes you can come across as offensive? I chalk it up to you just being young. No?

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

They tell you up front, before you put your change in the machine, what will happen.
    How is that a conspiracy? Do you even know what a conspiracy is?

5. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

Duh... A conspiracy is how babies are made....

6. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

I tried loading it onto my computer via the cd drive.... but I think it broked..

7. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Yes...but how do we know they are not "sniffing out" the silver nickels, dimes, etc?

Why on earth would it "keep" a ike dollar? Why not give it back to you?

Also it says "may not". It should either be Yes or No. Because people are going to put ike dollars in there..hoping they get counted.

8. rickmp

We don't know. That's why we trust until there is proof of a reason to not trust.

It might keep the Ike dollar, it might not. Having been warned, why, then, would you put Ikes in the machine.

It might rain tomorrow, it might not. Some things are just unpredictable.

Despite what you'd like to believe, there are people in this world that are smarter than you.

Why am I afraid that you may become the next Uni-Bomber?

9. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

I guess I was using the word "conception" wrong all these years!

10. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Detecto: You did read the comments left by others about this thread, that the author is a troll presenting some/his very wierd ideas? Or are you easily swayed in your thinking because it's in print?

11. Detecto92

Actually it's unabomber.

12. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Oh really? What sources have you used to do your research, and what time has been spent. Please let us know.

Yes, they are everywhere. Over 19,000 of them, counting people's money for a fee. Also there are CoinMax machines, and probably others very similar.

Ok, I'll bite. What's the 'conspiracy'?

I thought you said it was researched?
    Is this what you call research?

So...you've read the truth which is people have said they've talked to the people who maintain the machines..... What is that you said you did? Research??????? I'm questioning this.

Yeah, that's obvious, but some people don't know that, as they don't check to see if any of the money they put in the machines come back out without being counted.

Wowsers! (actually I suppose in Coin Star machines there will be, as I know from experience that CoinMax machines do have this.) But it's designed to collect rejected items that don't fit in the category of our cents, nickels, dimes, quarters, halves, or presidential/SBA sized dollar coins.

Where is the evidence?????? Is it because the 3rd party agency (i.e. the person who comes to empty and maintain the machine) the one that keeps it? Or are you saying that the people who maintain the machine are required to turn over these coins to their company? And if so, where's the proof, or the research you did (other than "hearing about something" and "believing the truth"?

Actually, there is, but I know not from reading it, but because I have seen the insides of the CoinMax, as I've said. I will extrapolate that Coin Star has them too. It makes sense, since it serves a purpose.

Tinfoil hat time! I doubt that they "send" them to a 3rd party agency. It's probably the 3rd party agency that empties and services the machines (when the bank and the stores don't). Maybe stores don't handle these, but the box is available and open for anyone to empty when the machine is opened to change bags or something. And since the boxes are there to pick up any thing - other than coins - that would normally jam the machine (nuts, screws, peanuts, tinfoil, etc.) then it is inevitable that it will probably pick up coins. But the coin return is the place designed to return "normal sized" coins that don't make it through.

I would say that that is less 'conspiracy' junk, than some person concerned that this might look as if the other person is there to manipulate or steal coins. Some people are more lax than others. Again, I have seen inside the secondary reject bin, and have actually reached in and quickly checked to see if there was anything in it. One time I got there after the guy had checked it, and he had thrown everything in it in the trashcan next to the machine -- I fished in there and got a couple of Canadian coins, plus a nut and a screw. Go figure. Maybe I found the one that seems loose here.

If you need more research why do you think you have enough certainty now?

Confirmed. But not for "coins" and not for "silver coins".
    Not hardly, It's a junk bin.
    Fallacy of thought. One does not beget the other. Mostly no one is allowed to see the contents, because it's none of their business. Occasionally a person servicing the machine will allow you to see in it and have the contents, because it's junk/garbage/trash to them.
    Most likely true, but not because the third party people want Ike dollars. It's because the machine reads a large Ike dollar as not the same size as a cent/nickel/dime/quarter/half/current dollar. Therefore, the machine can't spit it out into the coin return. It won't fit into the return slot for that. It has to go into the junk bin then (or stay on the countertop inside the machine. That happens, too.)

13. Kasia

iz ok....I quick looked at the kitchen cupboard, and found I have a box of reynolds wrap.

14. rickmp

Hurry, before you get sucked into the secret bin, too!

15. Detecto92

No. Just someone with a brain. Most people will not buy into any of the 9/11 conspiracy theories because they think "the gubermint can't do no wrong".

Copyrighted material, Political content not allowed by forum rules.

. It's up to you to have enough maturity to respect my opinions. And it is up to you to have enough maturity to respect the forum rules, so take a break for a while.

So lets get back on topic. This is a coin forum.

16. rickmp

OK. Mods? It's time to lock this thread!

17. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

There ya go... Detecto making sense for a change.

18. Detecto92

If they can take the time to engineer a "return bucket" inside the machine aka "silver dollar snatcher"....then surely they could of widened the return slot 7.5 mm wider for the ike dollar to be spit back out.

Why keep ANY coins? Why not make that internal reject bin on the outside? They are wanting to keep stuff people were to stupid to put in there. If it eats a ike dollar, then they get a dollar for FREE!

Or...they send all the foreign coins they got for free to a 3rd party, which sells them on eBay/other venues and cuts them a check for them?

Why even make a second chute? The whole return tray could of been on the outside, with no reason for an internal one.

Any modern vending machine spits out rejects. They don't keep them.

Your argument is invalid.

19. Kasia

Everyone has opinions. I'm mildly entertained by yours in this thread. And again, this is a fallacy of thought. It doesn't take maturity to respect another person's opinions, but either the belief that the opinion bears weight (thereby 'respecting' the opinion), or the willingness to allow that everyone is allowed to have their own opinions as long as those opinions don't impinge on other peoples rights. (agree to disagree). Neither is maturity. The first is acceding to presumed expertise. The second is civility.

I have enough civility to allow you to have whatever opinions you can dream up. But I reserve the right to laugh at them if I find them laughable.

But let's get back to the real issue... you are saying you have enough research to prove this conspiracy theory about CoinStar machines. I say you are showing you haven't a clue as to what goes into researching something like this, and that you are just showing you are drawing conclusions on insufficient 'evidence', conclusions that cannot be substantiated by anything you've said so far.

20. goincarcrazy

goincarcrazy Spends His Money On Money

Before the mods do lock this up, to shed some light on the situation, my ex wife worked at Winn-Dixie (grocery chain in the south) for a while during college. She was one of the people in charge of counting tills and such at the end of the day and making sure all the totals were right, etc. One of her occasional duties was to "clean out the CoinStar machine". The machine does indeed have an internal catch bin that catches Ike dollars (have a holed one on my keychain that it threw out), as well as steel pennies and nearly all manner of foreign coins. It somehow managed to kick out an Indian Head cent once. Nothing in any great shape, but the thing is, is that it does indeed kick these coins out into a separate catch bin.

No big conspiracy about it. A store employee cleans it out, at least at Winn Dixie, and its free spoils to whoever wants the stuff. Thankfully she knew to bring it home for me to scour :)

21. Kasia

Actually, my argument is not invalid. There are two paths to 'reject' items. The coin return is designed at one point of the countertop to take coins that don't make it into or through the sorters, and reject them. That is the exterior one. The interior one is to take objects that don't fit the concept of a coin (in machine terms) and get them off the countertop, so they don't interfere with the sorting.

You're just stuck on your conspiracy theories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.