The coins of Cato

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Basileus Antialcidas, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Basileus Antialcidas

Basileus Antialcidas Active Member

I was wondering if anyone could help me understand how we can tell Cato's the eldest from Cato's the youngest coins. I was looking at wildwinds and it seemed to me that they had the exact same denarius and quinarius types. Am I missing something? Thank you all in advance for your answers!

NewStyleKing and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

4. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Correct me if I am wrong here (there is a high chance of that!) - but I do not believe there are any coins struck under Cato the Elder.
    Cato the Younger - yes... (those featuring "Pro PR")
    Earlier coins struck with the name "Cato" are for some other unknown relative (?) as I do not think the dates line up with Cato the Elder's career... I tried to make mine fit - but couldn't.

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

that is my understanding also....'this coin is not what i thought it was when i bought it, nor is it what think it is now' is my old saying :D..but i do have one Cato quinarius from the social war era... greek hemidrachm parion c.480 bc siglos cato quinarius 009.JPG greek hemidrachm parion c.480 bc siglos cato quinarius 008.JPG

6. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Yes - that is a nice example.
    Mine looks like it endured more than just the Social War.... but it was super cheap... and they're kinda cool.

upload_2020-11-15_20-52-11.png

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Cato the Elder was during the Second Punic War or the War with Hannibal.

Marcus Porcius Cato (/ˈkeɪtoʊ/, 234 – 149 BC), also known as Cato the Censor (Latin: Cato Censorius), the Elder (Major) and the Wise (Sapiens),
    upload_2020-11-15_20-17-52.png

He died before his famous "Cartago Delenda Est" was carried out in 146 BCE.

Here are my LATER Catos...

WHEN GAIUS GRACHUS ELECTED TRIBUNE FIRST TIME
    upload_2020-11-15_20-16-31.png
    RR Porcius Cato 123 BCE AR Den Roma X Victory Biga S 149 Cr 274-1

SOCIAL WAR
    upload_2020-11-15_20-20-39.png
    RR AR Quinarius 89 BCE M Porcius Cato Liber Bacchus - Victory- Crawford 343-2. Sear 248

WILD-MAN CATO
    upload_2020-11-15_20-23-13.png
    RR Porcius Cato AR Quinarius 89 BC Bacchus Liber Victory seated S 248 Cr 343-2

8. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

A couple of coins of the Younger:

Crawford 462/1a
    Phil (108).JPG
    Crawford 462/1c
    Phil (109).JPG

Phil Davis

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

An IMITATIVE CATO... this one is out of control:
    [​IMG]
    Imitating Octavian-M. Porcius Cato AR quinarius 13.89 mm 1.29g imitating Octavian r blundered legend - Victory seated r patera Cr 343-462 R

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

11. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Here is a fairly nice quinarius from 89 BC. The legens on the reverse reads "M CATO:"
    Römische Republik – RRC 343:2b, Quinar, M Cato, Liber und Victoria (Foto 2).png
    Roman Republic, moneyer: M. Cato, AR quinarius, 89 BC, Rome mint. Obv: M CATO; head of Liber r., wearing ivy-wreath; below, control mark (torch?). Rev: VICTRIX; Victory seated r., holding patera in r. hand and palm-branch over l. shoulder. 14mm, 2.12g. Ref: RRC 343/2b.

This wretchedly worn coin came in a lot. Only a mother could love it in this state. Yet, you can still make out (in hand) that the legend reads "M CATO PRO PR", making it attributable to Cato Uticensis in 47/6 BC:
    Römische Republik – RRC 462:2, Quinarius, Cato Uticensis, Liber (neues Foto).png
    Roman Republic, struck by Marcus Porcius Cato Uticensis, AR quinarius, 47–46 BC, mint in Africa, probably Utica. Obv: Head of Liber r., wearing ivy-wreath; below, M CATO PRO PR. Rev: Victory seated r., holding patera hand and palm-branch; in exergue, [VICTRIX]. 14mm, 1.39g. Ref: RRC 462/2.

Johndakerftw, Edessa, Volodya and 4 others like this.
  12. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

Volodya likes this.
  13. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

My younger Cato. Possibly the best centred example in the universe
    Screenshot_20201117-115737_Flickr.jpg
    And my social war type. I like the rather crude portrait style.
    Screenshot_20201117-115930_Flickr.jpg

Jovian363, Volodya, svessien and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted