The Coins of Benvenuto Cellini (not ancient, but...)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ycon, Jan 22, 2018.

1. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

And this exactly illustrates my point. Marie-Lan Nguyen owns the copyright to the photo -- not to the sculpture -- and has given her permission to reproduce the photograph with the proper attribution. The right to reproduce a photograph is up to the discretion of the owner of that photograph's copyright.

You'll note that a court of law had to decide whether the "Bridgeman art library" photographs were copyrightable by Bridgeman. This is where there can be some subtlety in copyright law -- i.e., under what circumstances is the photograph itself not copyrightable? There may be some photos that are so generic that they cannot be deemed copyrightable, but common law copyrights apply a priori to photographs, and unless this is challenged in court, to assert that the photographs you post in a thread aren't subject to copyright is simply wrong.

We all violate these copyrights every day on this site. I do, you do, maybe DougSmit doesn't since he takes all his own coin photos, but most of us do. Our use may be permissible under "fair use" law but maybe not. But certainly, if a photograph comes with a requirement to attribute the photographer's name, then the proper thing to do is to include the attribution.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

@IdesOfMarch01 I am still not sure that I believe that Marie-Lan Nguyen owns the copyright to that photograph, for the reasons discussed.

However, that is seperate from the issue of whether I think she should be given credit, which I think she should, especially since as you say a judge isn't going to decide whether her claims to copyright (which she then released with the stipulation for credit, on wikipedia) is valid. When I took that photo from wikipedia I didn't see the stipulation, which is the real reason I neglected to give her credit.

4. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Not a problem, @ycon ! You make good points about copyright issues. I try to use public domain images as much as possible in my posters but admit that I'm not as careful as I should be with some of the images of ancient sculptures and the ancient tile mosaics which I love. I've recently become a subscriber to Alamy and 123rf stock photo sites and they have lots of images of ancient relics and architecture. I also purchase iStock photos when I'm doing my graphics for the church and various other charities that I work for. All of my design layouts, borders, and coin photos, are original except on the occasion that I use a dealers image.

ycon likes this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Cool discussion on Copyrighting. I was in charge of 1500 IP Files regarding copyrights, patents, etc. etc. However, everything that I did were proprietary and unique to our company. Ergo, we CREATED our IP from scratch and not derivative such as photos, etc. I hold several Patents myself, and to me, the IP is very clear-cut. I stayed away from the "fuzzy" areas such as proprietary photos of objects, etc.. And, no, I am NOT a lawyer.

Here is a photo I took of one of my coins. LOL, no way would I ever be proud to clain IP for my stuff... :D I do admire those that have the knack and skill of photography...

Egypt Ptolemy II 285-274 BC AE 17mm Eagle Cornuc SV 762.jpg
    Egypt Ptolemy II 285-274 BC AE 17mm Eagle Cornuc SV 762

chrsmat71 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted