The coin you want vs. the coin you can afford

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Inquisitive, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

I've always wanted a pattern coin. The very concept of a pattern interests me, that the mint went ahead and struck the coin either for testing, illegally, or as a collectors item, and there are very few available. It doesn't fit anywhere in my collection (Peace Dollars & Swiss, and a dabble in British Trade Dollars), but I do want one.

With that background, I'm caught in a bit of a dilemma. The most reasonably priced quarter or larger patterns (to see the detail) are the "Standard Silver" coins, and I think I would be reasonably happy with one. What I would really like to have is a "Goloid" or "Trade" dollar pattern type, which might be double the price (in an MS grade), which is over 1K as is (and would be the most I've paid for any coin).

So I'm looking for some advice: Do I hold off and wait for the more desirable pattern, or go for the more affordable one? One thing that I have noticed it that as I push off buying a pattern, other coins come my way & my bankroll shrinks, so that I'm not getting too much closer to what I would need for a larger purchase like this.

Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

only you can answer that question. ask other pattern collectors in here. If it were me I would save up for the 1 you really want. maybe sell off some of your other coins to get this 1. I am not sure how much you want it ? :blackalien:

JPeace$ likes this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

My vote would be for holding off. I understand giving in to short-term temptation, but it sounds like you want this enough to increase your motivation to maintain your discipline -- and improved discipline is useful for ALL SORTS of things. :)

spirityoda likes this.
  5. Inquisitive

Not enough to push off an opportunity to upgrade my main collection (which is part of why I can't afford it yet!)

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

then start saving up. I think VegasVic member here has a few patterns.

7. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

1804 dollar vs. MS62 2014 1 cent

spirityoda likes this.
  8. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

My vote would be to save for the one you really want. Let's say you spend $1K and settle for a pattern coin because you can get it now. You get it in hand and you're disappointed. That's $1K sunk in your mind and now the coin doesn't bring you satisfaction, but just the opposite. You may turn around and try to re-sell it, but will you break even? Who knows. But I don't think you'll be happy with the situation.

I understand the urge to buy something you like and forego the long term goal. Only you can decide how bad you want that pattern coin. If you want it bad enough, you'll save for it. You might even put a plan together to set a side a small portion for that coin and still allow yourself to add coins to your collection.

spirityoda likes this.
  9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Have you considered a pattern coin from a country other than the US ? There are many, many, to choose from and some very beautiful designs. And they are but a tiny fraction of the cost of a US pattern.

10. Inquisitive

Doug (GDJMSP): I looked briefly into some Swiss 20Fr patterns, and found they were more expensive than US. I would not want to branch out into yet another country.

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I like Doug's idea if you want something immediately.

I am kind of curious why patterns? If you did not KNOW what regular production coinage looked like, how could you ever tell a pattern versus a regular coin? Nothing wrong with patterns, but was just wondering why the attraction of them versus regular coinage. By defition all regular coinage was at one point a pattern that won the design contest and went into production, all other patterns were judged inferior.

spirityoda likes this.
  12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I really think it's all about patience and focus. If you are patient enough to wait until you actually do have the money for a pattern coin... you will enjoy it so much more. that's the beauty of coin collecting...it can be a life long pursuit. :)

Inquisitive likes this.
  13. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

This was my only pattern piece, about 10 were made, struck in pure nickel (normal specimen and business strikes were in silver). Just recently sold it, the offer was too good to say no...

25c_PCGS_SP64_DC-34_rev.jpg 25c_PCGS_SP64_DC-34_obv.jpg

silentnviolent and onecenter like this.
  14. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I'd wait to get the coin that you truly desire and ignore any temptations that come your way. once you buy that coin it will be worth it.

4$tella and spirityoda like this.
  15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

my late coin dealer said "you can't buy ever coin". he was right. o_O:)

16. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Even when seemingly too expensive, always buy the coin you know you will examine weekly, versus the bargain which, the next time you examine it will be the same day you sell it.

treylxapi47 likes this.
  17. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

True, but for some of us its more "examine once a decade versus put in a box and never look at it while they live". :)

silentnviolent likes this.
  18. Inquisitive

I'm not sure of that. My favorite coin (and most expensive to date) is the 2000 Bi-metallic Library of Congress proof.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't look at it often (it's in a safe), but knowing that I own it still puts a smile on my face (and I'm not willing to sell it for the next "want".)

spirityoda and green18 like this.
  19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You could 'rationalize' a bit and consider the bi-metallic commem a sort of a pattern piece........:)

Kirkuleez and spirityoda like this.
  20. MadMartigan

MadMartigan Active Member

I would wait you will likely regret what you have and always be looking for the upgrade for what you really wanted. The coin in hand may be good but you will never get past it not being what you truly wanted.

But you did say you want to continue improving your main collection do so then, that seems to be your biggest desire. Don't worry about getting a coin just to get a coin.

spirityoda likes this.
  21. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

You started this thread with the words "the coin you want vs..." that's your answer. Why not sell a couple of other coins and get that pattern?

Draft saved Draft deleted