The Coin Vault on TV

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by m. gill, Jan 4, 2010.

1. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

listen carefully? More like you have to parse every word

Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Best way to approach the problem: Never buy coins off TV. Just say no.

danmar2 likes this.
  4. Rocksprings

Rocksprings Member

so sorry that I don't have the vast knowledge of the coin world that you have. You can defend these con artist all day long but I will say it again, they are scam
    artist. Find someone else to belittle and criticize. I learned a lesson and will never watch the coin vault again.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Look Rock, we know you're upset, but you're not the only one to get snookered by these folks. Chambers took me for a ride when I was getting back into the hobby and when I discovered that fact I became very upset. Short answer was that I didn't do my homework.

danmar2 likes this.
  6. Rocksprings

Rocksprings Member

7. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

And when you contacted the Attorney General, what resolution was made?

charlietig likes this.
  8. Rocksprings

Rocksprings Member

Who said I contacted anybody, You so funny, just another coin vault clone.

9. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

They can be entertaining, and you can learn some things from them. My rule of thumb for any of the televised coin shows is "HALF". That is... you can find what they are selling for HALF of what they charge. :wideyed:
    If you see something on their show that interests you, look elsewhere to purchase. It's that simple. Don't buy from the TV coin shows. :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    fish4uinmd likes this.
  10. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

The point is that complaining to us, on line in a forum, does exactly nothing. That's fine if all you want to do is vent without resolution but don't expect a lot of sympathy or for any of us to actually do anything. If you want action with a probable favorable solution you take your complaint to someone who has a proven track record of resolving consumer complaints. Keep complaining or take positive action, it's up to you.

11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Well it does let others in the forum to stay clear, Littleton coin company is not
    Far behind, back in the day I enrolled in there program where they send you
    a coin to look at, if you don't like it you send it back, the coins are not graded
    as they come it Littleton packaging but the principal is the same, sell coins that
    are a little flawed but still B/U and the customer will never no he just got a
    second :( or lower quality coin they could not sell otherwise, most of there
    Customer base is of the newbie variety so your easily fooled.

12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That's really not the rep that Littleton has. Expensive yes, but they don't have a rep for substandard quality and people report them being picky buyers trying to sell to them

13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Agree. I'm not a fan of the approval system and the prices for common stuff is full retail+. I occasionally played the game with the Presidential dollars and ATB quarters. I followed the instructions and sent the approvals back in their postpaid envelop, and there was never a problem.

The approval coins were solid quality for the grades listed, just expensive as xxxx.

BTW: I've you ever get a chance to attend a presentation by Dave Sundman (of the Littleton Coin family), don't pass it up. I met him about 10 years ago and was very impressed with his knowledge and willingness to answer questions and explain things. My impression is that he is a historian/numismatist that happens to sell coin.

14. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

They operate on the principle that many, many people are seeking something solid and stable in their otherwise fitfully turbulent lives. In fact, I believe you can confidently state "There's a seeker born every minute!"

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I'm not trying to defend them, I think they are pretty lowlife myself. But criticize them for the right thing the fact that they do charge usually double what you can get the same material for elsewhere. And that they DO prey on those people with little or no knowledge of coins. Note though that while I will criticize them or preying on the unknowledgeable, I don't let the unknowledgeable off the hook for buying something that they know nothing about. In anything in life, if you are going to part with your hard earned money you should KNOW what you are buying. If you don't know then wait and learn some more before spending your money. And that isn't directed at you specifically, but at anyone looking to spend their money. And believe me I made some bad buys in my early years too. Still make some occasionally, but when I do I blame myself for being foolish.

Actually watching coin vault isn't a bad idea, just don't ever buy anything. But by watching it with a critical eye you can learn various tricks to watch out for, and how the draw the unwary in. And they do sometimes impart some good numismatic information. Just don't ever buy from them.

16. iceberg

iceberg New Member

I watch and if I see something I want or need, I write down the item # and price, then compare prices on line. Actually just purchased something from them. When I was re-doing my shower last summer a friend came over and helped me, he happens to be a collector of all thing Coca-Cola. One night when I was watching they had a silver coca-cola bottle cap on. I figured what the heck, I'd get this for my buddy for helping me out and I knew he didn't have one. Searching on line the price was about the same everywhere, some were lower with high shipping charges.

wcoins likes this.
  17. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

The Coca Cola had the exact same price on TV as MCM on ebay. Not bad.

18. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

As a funny aside.... My doctor had me on Ambien for a short period last year. I fell asleep with the History Channel. In the wee hours they have a coin guy hawking his goods. To my surprise I received a forty consecutive year mint set package in the mail the following week...... Apparently I had woke in enough of a haze to get my wallet, share my credit card, address and all that..... Without even a remote memory in my brain..... I never took Ambien since.

19. Michael L Johnson

Michael L Johnson New Member

Littleton Coin

20. Michael L Johnson

Michael L Johnson New Member

The vault did it again, they were selling 3 silver eagle coins which they said had a limited population (PCGS) at 50. Andy Abel challenged people to check it out. I went to PCGS and checked the population report, and to no surprise the population report was 240. You really need to keep and eye on these people and verify anything you can! Buyer beware!

21. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

I 100% agree, now I have been trying ti do a comparable show watch type watch with Jack tomasara o

Draft saved Draft deleted