The Coin Vault on TV

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by m. gill, Jan 4, 2010.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Died on the day of the Hiroshima Bombing.....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

A poor quality copy.

4. royster

royster southroy

I only meant that it was an interesting find in George Morgans desk after sitting in the Smithsonian for so long i never endorsed the coin only the design my apologies if it was taken anyother way.

5. royster

royster southroy

You are kidding i assume go to YELP and see all the satisfied customers for Silvertowne the owners of The Coin Vault t.v hucksters and i wouldnt buy anything from Shaun Lefflar he thinks hes Gods gift to woman, should have been a used car saleman now Barry Chappells funny and he has won best Proof Morgan dollar several years running still wouldnt buy from him.

6. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

I've started watching this lately and some of the deals don't seem that bad. They had the 2014 Wedge Tailed Eagle MS70 for $99.95. I have seen these sell on ebay for around that, even more. Also, recently they had rolls of silver nickels for $40 each (3 rolls minimum), about the same as on ebay.

Coins on TV are overpriced most of the time, but that's normal, since air time and all other things involved are quite expensive. It all depends how overpriced, if asking 2-3-4 times above market value, that's not normal, but a mark-up of 25%-50% is within reasonable limits I think. You just can't sell coins on TV for ebay prices. Speaking of ebay and TV, I really like when that guy on TV handles all those ebay printscreens sheets, saying "look folks what these sell for on ebay, I am not going to charge you that...:D", very funny.

7. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@wcoins, don't forget to add the $9.95 shipping and handling.

Sometimes, and I stress sometimes, they have some okay prices, but most of the time it's over priced by a lot.

8. royster

royster southroy

I watch these shows to look at coins and laugh at all their mistakes $149.95 for a rare:pompous: 2015 Burnished AE? The same for Canadian wild life series unless of course ya get on auto pay! LMAO It is a free world if you want to collect from the T.V especially the most collected Morgan dollar the 1921? according to our loyal viewers go at it im sure you will get more from your collecting budget $49.00 for a slider in the leading numismatic catalog (SilverTowne) $78.00 for a graded MS-69 bullion AE What a collectible! These shows have to pay for air time which is expensive good deals? The one show you can watch where the person actually owns a coin store and has written 4 books but is still a bit spendy is Rick Tomaska"s "Ricks US Coin show" Barry is very bitter over Rick leaving with Jack MacNamara its fun to listen to him whine about Rick even though he built Barrys NGC #1 rated Morgan collection:D Happy Hunting...

9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@royster , Rick does have the most Numismatic chops, but watching his presentations is like watching paint dry. I've learned some interesting things about modern proofs while watching his show, but he needs to either spice up or speed up his presentations....I also think he reaches when he's comparing modern numismatic rarities vs. older series, using those bloody population reports.

10. royster

royster southroy

Yes he is no salesman even though i dont agree with some of his comparisons i have been surprised over the rarity or low mintages of some of the coins mentioned but to compare Ikes to Morgans or Walkers is a stretch. He does have coins i have not seen on other shows which is why Barry had to try to up his game. He got rid of Shaun Lefflar to afford the 2 new hosts one is Jeremy Hall what a loud mouth the other is a skinny older guy named Mike that joke and laugh at each others awful humor and make a mockery of the show i want to see coins not amateur comedian hour.If you look at Barry and Ricks comp sheets off e-bay their usually out dated i pause it 12-14-2013? and some have no bids and are not sold...whats the point? Barrys convinced silver is going up every show Ricks like if it go"s up great what ever. I watched Barry when he was Bargain Barry smokin on set early 90"s:cigar:

11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I'm not so sure Barry isn't financially linked to Shawn's new show. Art and Coin TV still runs spots with Shawn in them, so he wasn't banished like Rick & Jack. Jimmy Gerstel, one of the new people, but he used to have his own late night show. I've caught it in the 300 level channels on DirecTV. Anyway, I agree that Jeremy and Jimmy are both too loud. The Coin show is becoming a joke. Prior to the recent changes and Rick T. joining the show, I thought it was at least entertaining and now it's comical.

The lighting on Shawn's show is extremely poor. Same kind of goofy stage back drop. Rick's new show isn't in HD and it looks out of focus most of the time. Jack McNamara's presentation skills are terrible. You can tell he doesn't have much experience in front of the camera, but even off the camera, he doesn't strike me as having the skills to co-host the shows. That doesn't mean he's not knowledgeable. Same goes for Rick's daughter Kim: not a very good presenter.

Re: rarities. IMO, what's not factored in those numbers are all the raw pieces still sitting around in people's collections. I was a little surprised as well at the low pops in high grades for some of the modern series, but I think there are more out there ungraded.

12. royster

royster southroy

That could be but coins improperly stored in say1985 by now could be destroyed but yes some still could be OGP in collectors hands. Jeremy and Jimmy supposedly have experience and act like fools i want to see coins not bad jokes only they laugh at as far as Rick and Jack they say out right they are not coin show host but coin guys collectors i have always liked Jack what he lacks in presentation i think he makes up in knowledge and i get the show in high definition never had out of focus probloms? I talked to Shaun and he didnt seem happy other than he has a new show its out of focus whats going on there? He e-mailed me and said he has asked them to stop showing re-runs of him on art n coin i looked on his sight and most of his coins were cheaper than Barrys:smuggrin: I thought Shaun was loud but the new guys make it hard to watch and all the hate FLIMFLAM MAN maybe i should get my own stickers thrown at Rick and Jack is uncalled for.Barry didnt help write the gradeing and cameo designations Rick did Barry does not build collections he had Rick do it for him it would be interesting to find out why hes bitter i think its because he lost his main buyer Jack and it took three people to replace him.Barrys still eating good thats for sure! $$

13. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

I am looking right now at an ebay fixed price action for the Eagle, 2 of them sold last week for $143.95. One sold yesterday for $150. Some sold for less in the past, but even with shipping, it's not a bad deal. Not great, but not bad.

One of the funniest things on TV coin shows is that where the guy is walking with a BB gun around the set and once I think he even shot at his partner.

JPeace$ likes this.
  14. royster

royster southroy

That would be art and coin tv Barry shot Jimmy as an NRA member i did not find that amuseing at all and i posted it on twitter for all to see. If you think the prices are good then buy them Barry and Jimmy call it Flea-Bay. I looked and found 2 fixed price AE 2015 PCGS West Point Label PR-70 D-Cam $91.00 with OGP and an AE 2015 NGC West Point label PR-70 D-Cam $86.25 i do not think you will find these prices on any tv coin show but thats my humble opinion.

JPeace$ likes this.
  15. Tagmeto

Tagmeto New Member

The 2015 gold liberty 1 oz didnt seem to b a bad price for the ms70 hr or was?

16. spenser

spenser Active Member

I love to watch that show!!! My pitching arm gets better and better throwing wadded up paper balls at the TV. Unfortunately many people not in the hobby are conned by them. Very bad for our hobby.

17. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I watch this too. Especially the listings where they talk about the state quarters and America the Beautiful quarters are as rare as a Standing Liberty set. $199 for roll of silver Roosevelt's is funny. I thought people pay too much on Ebay since almost all of mine came from roll searching. I sold a bunch at $20 a dollar face when melt was $21 and currently have 46 not including, my Mercury or Barber dimes. Maybe they will sell for even more?

18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Surprised that this group hasn't caught up to ESN Direct. They just peddled all of the American silver eagles in one set for $14,000. All graded MS-70 by the basement grading service IGS.

As far as I am concerned, some sucker paid 14 grand for about $500 in bullion coins.

mikenoodle, spenser and JPeace$ like this.
  19. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Sad for him

20. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I respect Ricks work with modern proofs and you are selling yourself short if you don't also, but I wouldn't purchase anything off of the TV show. His books are very informative and he has assembled many of the finest modern sets around. He's a good and trustworthy dealer, it's almost ashame that he went into the TV game. In a sense of devalues all of the good that he's done over the years. I would also encourage buying up the ECC stickered coins; the sticker doesn't command much of a premium now, but I expect that they will very shortly. Rick is very stingy about labeling a coin with a ECC sticker and the coins are of very high quality overall. ECC stickers are Ricks version of CAC and it stands for extreme cameo contrast.

21. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I agree Rick has a great eye for coins, but he also adds a hefty premium to his retail coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted