The Coin Vault on TV

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by m. gill, Jan 4, 2010.

1. cleanupman

cleanupman New Member

If you notice they repeat the same show over latter in the day as well. If you tune in latter.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Silver soul

Silver soul Member

I got deceived into buying state quarters autoship by Mezak, but I was new to coin collecting and it was an impulse purchase, and I learned!:(

4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

we all paid for our numismatic educations, silver. If that's all you paid, trust me, you got off cheap. :)

5. coin-aholic

coin-aholic New Member

You should never discount a source...

True, the TV shows are higher priced, and they use double speak... BUT

1. They have always delivered what they said they would IF you listened carefully.
    2. They always tell you that you aren't going to resell their items tomorrow at a profit.

I bought from them back in 2004.. lots of raw ASEs, BU Peace Dollars, and Rolls of Mercs. I paid about $7-$8 an ounce for all the silver. Fast forward to 2011... I took them back out of the closet and sold the silver for $45 - $50 an ounce. During that time, I also purchased some NGC graded gold and silver from them... and the gold I sold for about twice what I paid. I never discount a source.... I just make sure I'm alert to those rare bargains that come along.

6. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

people that dont know there being suckered..lol..

7. VNeal

VNeal Member

Old retired people spending their savings for these overprice coins. They can give it to their grand children. Most coins are about double their value. They were selling a proof MS70 FIRST RELEASE for about triple its value because it said FIRST RELEASE from NGC and had a rare label with blue ink in it

8. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Or, more likely, the retail prices was triple the value because of the 70 on the label, and that would support the buying frenzy of everything MS/PR 70 :thumb:

9. kaosleeroy108

coin vault has ike dollar set complete with all proof.. 32 total coins 060713 $299.95 no shipping and handling charges ..

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You were lucky. Not everyone who buys from these TV show salesmen will ever achieve any kind of worth for the products they have purchased. I refer to the poor sods who bought colorized or plated State Quarters sets. Those sets, down the road, will be worth no more than face value.

I was lucky too. The eagles that I purchased from one of the shows have appreciated significantly in value, but what if silver prices had remained at that contemporary level? My purchase right now would be 'under water'. You state that "They have always delivered what they said they would IF you listened carefully." Well, I did listen very carefully to 'Bob' and he told me that ASE's were very shortly going to become unavailable and you had to get 'em now or you'd miss the boat. "If you snooze, you loose", he said. My sin was in not doing my homework. I found out later that I had paid more than double the value for my purchase. I did learn from this experience, and have done research on all of subsequent purchases and I don't 'get taken' near as often as I did when dealing with Bob.

Watching coin shows on TV should come with the disclaimer "prices you pay for products may (will) not be readily reflected in the general coin market and you should not purchase for investment purposes".

11. kaosleeroy108

the coin vault does a 15 to 30 mark up.. lol.. just bad..

12. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

Since I switched from DirecTV to FiOS, I don't get Coin Vault anymore ;(
    I do go to their web site occasionally but it's just not the same as flicking the remote to tune in and get some laughs.

13. coin-aholic

coin-aholic New Member

So true! I saw that as a scam from day one... never fell for that one!

I gambled that one day prices would rise again, and that I would be able to make a profit... that's why they were put away until the right time :) I have heard the 'hard sell' so many times, its almost funny... my favorite tactic was when they would pull out a print out from an eBay listing, and tell you 'see what they are going for on eBay? We're so much cheaper! The listing would be from some moron who thought they'd get $499.99 BIN for their $25 junk. LOL! I never buy without researching what I want. It's a lesson we all should learn. You and I did... others, not so much.

Coin Vault says this every show... 'We cater to collectors, not investors, yadda yadda'... not all shows do that, tho...

14. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

they don't cater to investors because typically investors do their homework before they buy and their primary motivation is profit.

They will find none on The Coin Vault

15. coin-aholic

coin-aholic New Member

16. Robert Winters

Robert Winters New Member

The hosts of the show sound like shady car salesmen. They do lie occasionally. I bought 24 coins from them and I am very pleased. Their prices are competitive and I am surprised to see so many negative comments. Art & Coin TV and Silvertowne are great also.

17. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

Robert,

As an exercise, take some of your 24 coins and see what they are being advertised for in The Numismatist or Coin World and compare those prices to what you paid. If you are talking about gold or silver coins bought a couple of years ago (or more), go to your local library and look at the advertised prices in the back issues around the same time period you bought your coins.

I'd be very interested in the comparison. Anybody care to guess the % price differentials?

18. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

I just turned it on yesterday out of pure boredom. I was amazed at the prices that they can sell their coins for! They had a 1921 MS-64 NGC for $150. :eek:

NGC's price guide shows a price of almost 1/2!!

19. Robert Winters

Robert Winters New Member

I only buy pf & ms 69. Coin Vault has some good deals. I would not buy everything they sell. 1921 what ?

20. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

Whoops! Forgot to mention the Morgan dollar part...

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

$150 for a '21 Morgan? Where's the gun? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted