The Coin Vault on TV

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by m. gill, Jan 4, 2010.

1. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

sure... why not share :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NotSure

NotSure I'm sure I'm NotSure

Friends don't let friends buy from Coin Vault........or HSN........ or QVC.

4. NotSure

NotSure I'm sure I'm NotSure

Throw in the word 'heirloom' anywhere in there and you have a winner!

5. T.cavello

T.cavello Junior Member

I only buy at two local coin shops,who I know well and trust for more than ten years.I also buy from the U.S.Mint.

6. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

thanks, but i'll just support my local reputable coin dealer.

7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Dont do it!!

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

As long as you marked them COPY in accordance with the requirements of the Hobby Protection Act, you could possibly get away with it. For a non-incusable item such as this the word COPY would have to be in san-serif letters one inch high and the word would have to be 3.3 inches long.

After re-reading the HPA I have come to the conclusion that MOST of the copies being sold on TV are actually not in compliance. We normally think that the word COPY has to be 2 mm high by 6 mm long, but that is the MINUMUM size! The actual law says 2 mm or not less than 1/6th of the diameter by 6mm or not less than 1/2 of the diameter. If the item is more than 12 mm in diameter the second size requirement (1/6th by 1/2 ) is the one that applies. This means that that gold buffalo with 31 mg of gold they are advertising needs to have COPY on it 5.45 mm high by 16.35 mm long. They don't come close to that.

Wait I take that all back. The 2mm by 6mm is legal. They don't make it clear in the language of the law. The 1/6th by 1/2 requirement is for those items LESS than 12 mm in diameter. So 2mm X 6 mm COPY is fine for your $500 tribute note according to the law.

9. ADH

ADH New Member

From what I can tell, they are using the Littleton catalog. It looks a lot like it when they point to it on camera. And they are higher in price than our beloved Coin Vault!

10. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

Littleton is so ridiculously overpriced but you get what you paid for or better.

11. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

Haven't watched the shows, but while viewing ebay I saw a 'sealed roll' of Presidential Dollars. I never saw such packaging before. I asked the packaging question. The seller was an heir to their parents estate and they were HSN MS70 coins. It is sad when seniors are taken advantage.

12. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

But....but...it's in a "Red Oak" presentation case...RED OAK!

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

And the "fat guy" is so convincing.....

14. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

Red oak is just... Oh! Oh! It comes with a free roll of pennies for $9.95 shipping! What a steal!

15. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

Ok, Ok, I'm changing my mood from inpain to amused!

16. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

OK - Now I'm amused.

17. ADH

ADH New Member

If one is lazy, then this works I guess, I have seen worse. About Littleton, show me a real deal and I can beat it by a major percentage. I guess it is part of being an insomniac. And yes, they all sound convincing, but if the US Mint would sell to the American public, then these guys would be out of business. But our own tax dollars make it so we can not buy, except for minor annual sets and items which do not sell.

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Wouldn't it be hilarious to find out if the "fat guy" is a member of this forum? Oh dear, perhaps he is?

19. Plantguy7

Plantguy7 Roll searcher in training

I'm definitely going to have to check out this show - it sounds like a lot of laughs haha

20. eealopez

eealopez Junior Member

I talked with my bank manager the other day, she wasn't sure, but would check if the main branch would set aside new rolls for me to purchase. I seem to remember where individuals set up relationships with their bank managers to order the yearly coins--usually a small fee is involved. Anyone else know about this? I'll let you guys know what my local banker is able to do for me. . .

21. ADH

ADH New Member

I was able to set up and get the Presidential dollars and State and Territory quarters, and the 2009 pennies, but they are not allowed to order the new quarters, as "you get what they send you"! I still get the Presidents and a friend in Dallas sends me the D mints. Same goes for the pennies, nickels and dimes starting this year, no special orders. Just Presidents! I buy a $250 batch of the Sacajawea coins as they are one of the face value items they sell at the mint. Problem is that you only get one mint. At least if I do not keep them they spend and shipping is free.

Draft saved Draft deleted