The "Coin Uno" or "Follow the Leader" game (World Coins edition)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 23, 2016.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Ten years ago, I started this pointless but fun (and never-ending) game over on Collectors Universe. Since then, it has received more than 4,000 posts and is still going, making it arguably my most successful message board thread to date.

I originally called it "Coin Uno" because it's like the old "Uno" or "Crazy Eights" card games, where one follows either with the same suit or the same number. Someone posted a spinoff version on the NGC boards and called it "Follow the Leader" instead of "Coin Uno". That might be a better title, I'll admit- so I'll imitate my imitator.

Here's how it goes:
    • Simply look at the most recent coin posted.
    • To post one of your coins next, you must either post a coin from the same country OR with the same date. Let's stick to dated coins from after 1500. Please, no undated pieces.
    • Also, since this is the World Coin edition and we're likely to get a number of different languages on the coins, be sure you tell what country your coin is from so the following person will know what to play from.
    • You may use coins dated in non-Western systems (like Arabic Hejira dating or Japanese "year-x" systems, for example), but only if you also post the equivalent AD date so that the next person will know what to play from.
    • Coins with dual- or triple- or multiple-date combos appearing on the coin count as "wild cards". For example, if I played this German commemorative with an "1813-1913" date on it, then next player could then post any coin from Germany or any coin with either an 1813 or 1913 date on it. (In this example, the coin is from Saxony, a German state, but the next player would not need to be so specific. Just any German coin or any 1813- or 1913-dated coin would work.)
    • Tokens and medals are fine, as long as they are dated and their country of origin is known and posted for the next person to follow along with.
    • United States coins may be played here (the USA is part of the world, after all).
    And I think that's about it. Just "follow the leader". There's really no end to the game, or point, except fun. It's basically like a "free-for-all" coin picture post, with just a few rules rather than total randomness.

Follow the leader!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

sel w, old49er, Curtisimo and 2 others like this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Great Britain 1928-D, 6 pence, in BU grade... amazing design.

DSC_8444.jpg
    DSC_8448.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You talking about me?:D I'm guilty. It's all fun. I started a Follow the Lead here on the US coin side as well. Folks enjoy having a place to post images without all the need to say much.

6. lordmarcovan

Hey, Larry! I didn't realize (or had forgotten) you'd done one here already, so I just aborted my US Coins version. You picked a better title with "Follow The Leader". ;)

Since this one plays a tiny bit differently (country or date instead of type or date), I'll leave it up. :)

7. lordmarcovan

8. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Hard to read the date but 1696 crown of William III

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

1683 3 pence.jpg
    1683 Three pence. PCGS XF-40

10. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

1951- three pence - Australia DSC05112.JPG DSC05111.JPG

11. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Oh, my bad, went by denomination not date or country, Sorry!

12. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Lets try this one. 1826 Great Britian. DSC05115.JPG DSC05114.JPG

13. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

1797 Two Pence. Thing's huge
    s-l1600-4 copy.jpg s-l1600-5 copy.jpg

14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

15. lordmarcovan

We don't have to stay stuck in Britain, y'know. Somebody could play off the date instead of the country.

But it's Great Britain or 1792 to me, and I don't have anything dated 1792, offhand, so I'll have to play off Great Britain.

Great Britain: silver "South Sea Company" shilling of George I, 1723

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's Great Britain or 1723 to the next player, then...

16. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

We keep going too old haha. I don't have many coins from the 1600's

spirityoda likes this.
  17. lordmarcovan

Well, it's not 1600s in play right now, anyway. It's Great Britain or 1723.

Since I don't have any other 1723 coins to post and maybe change countries with, here's another to bring us more "modern".

[​IMG]

So again, we're at Great Britain or 1901 to the next person.

18. 01mikep

01mikep Well-Known Member

Here is a 1901 German Empire 1 Mark coin minted at Hamburg with 500K made.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

19. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

20. lordmarcovan

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  21. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

1901 Kiang-Su 5 Cash Y-158 PCGS AU53 "EIVE" Cash
    1901r2.jpg 1901r3.jpg 1901r4.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted