The Coin(s) After the Storm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Nov 23, 2017.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I've had to slow down all expenditures and really shouldn't be buying any new coins, but sometimes that's just too dang hard. I admired the tet when Eng posted it a couple of years ago and am glad to have it for my collection-- very nice coin, nice pedigree :). As for the A-Pi drachm... yeah, I've wanted it every since stevex6 showed it. I know he's glad it went to a loving home :D.

PhilipI-tet-AlexandriaHoldingSerapis-RT.jpg
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Philip I
    Regnal year 4, CE 246/7
    Billon tetradrachm; 23mm, 13.4g
    Obv: A K M IOV ΦIΛIΠΠOC ЄYC; laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
    Rev: Alexandria standing facing, towered head left, holding bust of Serapis in right hand, vertical scepter in left; L Δ (date) across field.
    Ref: Emmett 3469.4; Dattari 4856 and 4857; Förschner (Frankfurt Museum) 973-975; Curtis 1320; Savio (Museum Osnabrück) 1895-1896; Dattari-Savio plate 257, coins 4856, 4857, and 10518
    ex Eng Collection
    ex Zach Beasley
    ex Keith Emmett Collection
    ex Decus 1986

Steve and I jokingly call this the Runway Models reverse. Look at those sassy strutters!
    APiDrachm-SerapisDioscuri-RT.jpg
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Antoninus Pius
    Regnal year 8, CE 144/5
    AE drachm, 33 mm, 23.2 gm
    Obv: [legend]; laureate draped bust right
    Rev: Serapis, wearing modius, standing facing; flanked by the Dioscuri who are also standing facing, heads turned towards Serapis, and each holding a flagellum ; [L] H in exergue
    Ref: Dattari 2864 (RY2); Dattari-Savio plate 148 coins 2864 and 8724; Emmett 1670.8; Not listed in Milne.
    ex Stevex6 Collection

I love this coin's reverse which seems to be an overt attempt to combine Egyptian and Roman myths and deities. First, there is Serapis who in and of himself is a mixture... a designer deity devised by Ptolemy I and his advisors. Ptolemy hoped that this new god would combine Egyptian and Roman deities, helping make his own presence and rule more palatable. It worked, and the cult of Serapis spread well beyond Egypt. On this coin he is flanked by Castor and Pollux, thoroughly Greco-Roman figures.

Antoninus Pius issued a vast array of interesting reverses in his Egyptian coinage, many of them with native Egyptian, syncretic, or mixed deities. I wonder why. Was there unrest in Egypt during his reign? Was he trying to make them feel more a part of the Roman Empire? I haven't read any history of Egypt during his reign, have any of you and if so can you point me to some references?

After 74 days, electricity at my home has been restored. No cell signal, no internet... but maybe next year. Living without power and water wasn't really that hard, but without internet? So frustrating.

dlhill132, Nyatii, Carthago and 42 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great coins Tif. Hopefully back to normal soon.

TIF likes this.
  4. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Cool coins! I love Alexandrian issues.

Very glad to hear you have power back, that is a big step in recovering from a disaster.

:) :) :)

TIF likes this.
  5. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

If electricity has been restored in 74 days, then the Internet might well be active before Christmas. Glad to read your great posts just like before the hurricane. Cheers..

Kasia and TIF like this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Great to hear from you and cool scores!

TIF likes this.
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

Good to see you TIF and you getting new coins. these are trying times, more for some than for others. Good show and stay strong!

TIF likes this.
  8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

So very nice to have you back @TIF !! I hope everything quickly returns to normal for you!

Terrific coins with wonderful Egyptian devices !!!

Curtisimo, LaCointessa and TIF like this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Good for you @TIF ! Water, electricity... glad they are coming back. Internet access, I hope soon for you. Hopefully, you are able to get more access at work and elsewhere. Such a tough year for you. Thinking of you all the time...

I got this Egypt from Steve, and I know you have one also...

upload_2017-11-23_14-2-19.png
    RI Trajan AE Dichalkon Laureate hd L Rhinoceros walking L LI-Z yr 17 CE 113-114 12.9mm 1.25g Emmet 719 var. (normally rhino right)

Mikey Zee, chrsmat71, Bing and 8 others like this.
  10. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Quote TIF :
    ''After 74 days, electricity at my home has been restored. No cell signal, no internet... but maybe next year. Living without power and water wasn't really that hard, but without internet? So frustrating''.

So happy to hear you are doing well, TIF, and getting enjoyment from your coins.
    Those are some great new additions:).

But....no electricity for 74 days........?!!! how did you manage!?
    We were going crazy after 5 days without A/C.
    I really admire your endurance.
    [/QUOTE]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Carthago, Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  11. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Happy to see you back @TIF I hope some normalcy will be restored soon.

TIF likes this.
  12. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Your wit and insight is widely missed -- hope you get Internet service back soon.

TIF likes this.
  13. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Great to hear your ok, I absolutely love that A-pi Drachm it's stunning!

Thanks,
    Jacob

TIF likes this.
  14. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

So glad to hear from you TIF! I'm happy that you finally got electricity back!

Awesome coins!

Erin

TIF likes this.
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

How soon we become dependent on the 'new'. My generation counts itself as oppressed because we once stayed overnight in a place without air conditioning. The next will be amazed how life could exist before Ethernet.

I have a drawer full of old magnifiers. The lighted magnifier app on my phone really makes them 'so last millennium'.

David Atherton and TIF like this.
  16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yep I do and would post it here but that’s beyond this phone’s ability (or user ability, plus the ephemeral single bar of cell signal...). Yours is nicer :)

Well thanks, but I didn’t really have any choice. It remains horribly humid and the usual east to west Tradewinds have abandoned us! It’s freaky. Often by this time the “Christmas winds” are gusting.

I just realized that Serapis is radiate on this coin. Fabulous— another Serapis syncretion! I’m going to change the description to Serapis-Helios :)

TJC likes this.
  17. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

That is a great coin! The worried look on Trajan's face is appropriate opposite the rhino.

TIF and Alegandron like this.
  18. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Great coins! Your sniping me on the first one and both of us homing in on the second one made it seem like old times again :D. I'm glad they're both with you and to see you posting again.

I had zero wi-fi over the course of a week until a few days ago. I had some spotty 3G but still whined bitterly like a child... it's embarrassing how quickly luxuries become necessities :oops:. I can barely imagine having no internet at all... sure hope yours gets restored soon!

TIF likes this.
  19. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

TIF = Tough Independent Female

Like the coins especially the Antoninus drachma.

No water, did you jump in the sea every morning dressed up as a Sicilian waternymph (can remenber a pic of you with a crab on your head :))

All the best, Andres

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I daresay.........welcome back, dear Lady. :)

TIF likes this.
  21. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Ouch... sorry :oops:. Yep, back to life as usual! :D

I have high speed internet at the office but when I’m there I’m busy with pesky work :shifty:. Typing this reply on a cell phone, hassling with finding and typing brackets and such while hanging off the balcony trying to catch a wisp of cell signal... sucks the fun right out of it. Took ~20 minutes, much of which was spent chasing signal.

Edited to add that a gentle breeze is now blowing out here on the balcony! This is exciting news :D

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted