The Chinese Coins from AMCC Auction 2

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Quant.Geek, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Well, I snagged the Northern Song lot of 20 coins in the auction. Seemed to be quite popular and going through the pictures, its clear that it was a lot of coins from @Ken Dorney. Couldn't be happier as its an under-represented time period in my collection:

[​IMG]

I also picked up the Wang Mang Da quan:

[​IMG]

Overall an outstanding Auction! There were some other coins I was interested in, but unfortunately, I stretched my spending limit this month and such had to keep it a minimum :(

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

4. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Seems I already had a Da quan and now I have a twin :rolleyes:

Imperial China, Wang Mang: Da Quan Wu Shi (7-14AD) 50 Wa Shu (Hartill-9.1)

Obv: 大泉五十 Da Quan Wu Shi (Large Coin Fifty)
    Rev: Blank

[​IMG]

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL

6. Alegandron

WANG MANG

China Wang Mang 7-23 CE Xin Dyn AE 5 Zhu 23mm Huo Quan H 9.43.jpg
    China Wang Mang 7-23 CE Xin Dyn AE 5 Zhu 23mm Huo Quan H 9.43

China Wang Mang 7-23 CE Hsin AE Cash Xiao Quan Zhi Yi H 9.14.jpg
    China Wang Mang 7-23 CE Hsin AE Cash Xiao Quan Zhi Yi H 9.14

7. Alegandron

This is one of my smaller ones:

upload_2019-11-17_8-17-27.png
    China Cheng Han Xing Kingdom 200-100 BCE Li Show of Sichuan FIRST to use a Reign Title on coin 17.6mm 0.89g Hartill 12.7b

8. EWC3

EWC3 (mood: stubborn)

The first few coins on the second row are (of course) issued under the political control of Wang an Shi, back around 1069-74. I think he holds the world record for coin production - or perhaps did until overtaken by the USA around the 1950's?

I remember Roger Bland made quite a big thing at talks about the later Romans - at peak - kicking out a million coins a day. I pointed out from the floor one time that since Wang an Shi managed 5 billion coins a year, that was much more, near to 14 million a day.

However, the full point I was trying to make fell on stony ground - so I will try spell it out here. Wang wanted to produce enough copper coins to put an end to serfdom, enough coins so all goods and services could be bought and paid for in cash according to market prices (like also Sher Shah and Akbar, later on in India)

Turning that around then - maybe even the later Romans did not really produce enough coins...........

Rob T

Quant.Geek and Severus Alexander like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted