Featured THE CELATOR(S) SKILL - SESTERTII OF TRAJAN DECIUS

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Blake Davis, Mar 7, 2018.

1. arashpour

arashpour Well-Known Member

thanks @Bing is it not a bit heavy for this? and are the cracks normal? Because i heard some fakes made by pressing and cause cracks on flan.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Two of the ones I showed earlier weigh in at 4.3 and 4.39g each. Cracks were also normal in the original processing of official coins as they appear in this coin:
    Trajan Decius 5.jpg
    TRAJAN DECIUS
    AR Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: IMP C M Q TRAIANUS DECIVS AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    REVERSE: DACIA, Dacia standing left, holding draco standard or vertical staff surmounted by ass's head
    Struck at Rome, 249 AD
    4.39g, 22mm
    RIC 12b
    Ex CNG eAuction 328, Lot 761
    Ex. Seaby with handwritten envelope and tag

dlhill132, Johndakerftw and Cucumbor like this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Weight of individual coins seems not a concern under Decius. They vary a lot. It might be interesting to see a study testing alloy to see if the heavy ones might have more base metal so all were closer to the same actual silver weight. Has this been published? There has been a terrible tendency for metal studies to be published as an average of all dates and mints within a reign while it is obvious to a collector of Septimius Severus that there were sub-groups regularly better and others lesser. When dealing with rare coins or those with a market value, it is hard to find coins for destructive testing and surface tests are not really accurate enough to be of value. I have insufficient interest in the question to compromise coins for the testing. I suspect the future will see development of what is an MRI for coins allowing interior 'diagnosis' without drilling holes. I can wait.

5. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

Decius is not my specialty, which is late Roman and Byzantine, but I will add 2: a sestertius and a double, that I acquired from a good friend who has collected
    Decius since 1966.
    2017.16o.JPG 2017.16r.JPG 2016.014c.JPG 2016.014d.JPG

6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Fabulous write up and OP coins. Some others have posted aren't bad either :)

I do like the style on this one : in hand, and with a magnifier, the portrait of Dacia on the reverse is really stunning IMO

[​IMG]

Following is my sestertius of his and a few of the Divi series. Celators by the time of Decius, weren't used to engrave those old emperors portraits, but still, some of them are very representative and consistent with what one would expect even from a lifetime issue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Q

7. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Better late than never. This one was struck in Mesopotamia. Reverse shows standing Tyche who is pouring liquid on altar. Palm tree and branches everywhere. BMC 24.
    AE 25 - Nearly 15 g. Decius O          BMC 24.JPG Decius Tr R     Rhesaena.JPG

Johndakerftw and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted