The Celator, online

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bob L., Aug 16, 2016.

1. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

Just want to make sure fans of The Celator magazine, which folded in 2012, know that issues are being digitalized by Wayne Sayles and uploaded here:
    https://community.vcoins.com/author/thecelator/

Thus far issues from 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2008 are available.

I've been in touch with Zach Beasley (the issues are accessible through VCoins' Community page, which Zach plays a big part in) and he informs me that, "When everything is done, all of the issues of The Celator will be on the site."

Fantastic news, imo.

TJC, zumbly, Ancient Aussie and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I noticed this recently and was thrilled!! What a wonderful thing for Vcoins to do for collectors :)

5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Yay! I've always regreted I didn't collect ancients when The Celator was a thing. I would have loved to have a subscription to it. I'm thrilled vcoins is making it available to us. Amazing generosity vcoin's part.

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Boy oh boy, I'm really looking forward to eventually reading all of these Celator issues! Right now I'm on the oldest posted issue (Vol 18, No. 1, January 2004) and there is a great article about campgates in which the author postulates that they represent signaling stations. Very interesting!

7. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I had subscribed to it from the first issue. Had all of them, plus the Best Of issues. Sadly I sold them off as I didnt have the shelf space. Anyway, it will be great to have access to them again. It will be entertaining to see my old advertisements!

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'm also happy to see this start. I have never seen any of these issues having dropped out before 2004. I lived for the arrival of the Celator when it first began in newspaper format but as much was for the ads as the articles. Before the Internet, those offers of price lists were golden. I wonder how many of those dealers are still in business. I saw some. If anyone reads this, would it be possible to have a list of highlights of each issue on the menu page. As it is, you have to enlarge the cover to see what was advertised as in that issue. Of course an overall index would be great, too. Some of us will be embarrassed if you read what we wrote back then. Thanks to vCoins for the resource.

Now a suggestion for CT ancients fans. As you find articles you found valuable advertise them here on CT. Don't just say there is an article of something but review it telling us whether you got something out of it or if it was just so dated as to be worthless. Speaking of worthless:
    http://wgs.website/celator/SmithArticle(Apr1994).pdf
    One of the articles I had published in 1994 was on how to convert photos into line drawings which could be used for such things a illustrating letterheads and business cards. I hope no one used it to design a tattoo of a coin but you never know. Considering what has happened to digital imagery in the Celator's 25 years it is pretty funny now. Remember in those days only Big Dogs had a computer with a hard drive and many of us felt lucky to have two floppies.

9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh wow, that's awesome...thank Bob!

10. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

11. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

That is great! I just bought a complete run from RBW's library that I'm cycling through my father to read and enjoy. I have no shelf space either and there's a lot of cubic feet of them.

Funny story. When Kerry, the last editor/owner of the magazine, ceased publishing it I approached him to see if I could buy it. My intention, really, was to get all of the rights to the article archive and digitize it for some sort of distribution...but I would have charged for it because I have a little black capitalist heart beating in my chest! :vamp:

Kerry wasn't interested in selling at the time. This works out better for me...and everyone here! :happy:

12. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Don't miss the bi-monthly column called The Other Side! Can't quite remember who wrote it--it's on the tip of my tongue--but it was always my personal favorite part of the magazine.

Carausius likes this.
  13. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Thanks to Wayne and vcoins for making these available.

I read them every month for years and still have several shelf-feet worth of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted