The Campgate: A Call for a Cultural History

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gavin Richardson, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Again, it may be too distant to know for sure. From my readings it is most probable the legions had permanent winter camps which they would return to at the end of "fighting season". It would seem possible, if not probable, these winter quarters were constructed of non-portable materials.

dlhill132, Sallent and TIF like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

IMHO, regardless of what exactly the reverse represents (city gate, camp gate, or watch tower) you original thesis should not be affected - all three possibilities are advertising safety and security. A very fascinating idea about the human mindset in times of perceived crisis, both ancient and modern!

dlhill132 and Gavin Richardson like this.
  4. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Though it does not talk about campgates, there is a book by Cullen Murphy that has a chapter called "The Borders" - Are We Rome? The Fall of an Empire and the Fate of America

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  5. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

I've always thought the reverse was a city gate.

More importantly, as mentioned above, these gates (from either a camp or city) or signal towers represent security and safety, probably from the frequent and destructive barbarian invasions.

Camp.gif

Put my vote down for city gates.

City.JPG

The picture above is the Porta Nigra, the large Ancient Roman city gate in Trier, Germany.

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That looks very interesting-- thanks for mentioning it! Next up on my reading queue :)

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

City gates minus the towers at Pula, Croatia
    Croatia Italy Vacation 042.jpg

8. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Hmm... Coincidently, I picked a modern Campgate out of a pile of junk world coins this weekend! 1919, the year after WWI ends...

In case someone doesn't make the connection, depicted on the reverse is the same Porta Nigra pictured a few posts above.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Also see here. :) Now the Porta Nigra was most probably a "prestige" building. Of course it served as a city gate too, but according to most experts, Marcus Aurelius had it built for that purpose (representation) except it never got fully completed due to some lack of funds ...

Christian

dlhill132 and Gavin Richardson like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted