The Caduceus (kə-ˈdü-sē-əs)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Carthago, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

According to the Dictionary of Roman Coins by Stevenson, the Caduceus, or Caducei when plural, is a wand or rod, entwined at one end by two serpents, each of whose bodies folds again in the form of two half-circles, whilst the head passes above the wand. It was an attribute peculiar to Mercury. Prudence is generally supposed to be represented by these two serpents, and the wings which are sometimes added to the Caduceus, are the symbols of diligence, both needful qualities in the pursuit of trade and commerce, which Mercury patronized. It was also the symbol of peace and concord, which that deity is related to have received from Apollo in return for the lyre.

A fabulous sculpture by Jean-Antoine Idrac (1849 - 1884. France) of Mercury inventing the Caduceus in the Musée d'Orsay in Paris.

131965172bb670a37dcc76f90c456fe0.jpg

And some coins:

Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius Scipio and and P. Licinius Crassus Iunianus. Denarius, Africa 47-46, AR 3.95 g. Q·METEL·PIV SCIPIO·IMP Lion-headed figure of Genius Terrae Africae, standing facing, clad in long robes, holding ankh in r. hand; at sides of head, G·T· – A. Rev. P·CRASSVS·IVN – LEG PRO·PR Victory standing l., holding caduceus and shield. Babelon Caecilia 51 and Licinia 21. Sydenham 1050. Sear Imperators 43. Crawford 460/4. Ex RBW and HP Hall 1950.

Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius Scipio Africa Denarius NAC 5-2012.jpg

C. Caesar Octavianus and Marcus Antonius. Denarius, mint moving with Octavian 39, AR (19mm, 3.99g, 7h). CAESAR – IMP Head of Octavian r. Rev. ANTONIVS – IMP Caduceus Babelon Julia 60. C 6 var. Sydenham 1327a. Sear Imperators 302. Crawford 529/2c. Ex Bruder Egger Sale 43 1913.

Octavian & Marc Antony Denarius 529-2c NAC 5-2014.jpg

Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius Scipio and P. Licinius Crassus Iunianus. Denarius, Africa 47-46, AR (19mm, 3.89g, 10h). CRASS·IVN – [L]EG·PRO·PR Turreted female head r.; above and below respectively, uncertain object and rostrum tridens. On l. and r. respectively, ear of corn and caduceus. Rev. METEL·PIVS – SCIP·IMP Trophy between lituus and jug. Babelon Caecilia 52 and Licinia 22. Sydenham 1049. Sear Imperators 42. RBW 1603. Crawford 460/3.

Q Caecilius Metellus Pius Scipio 460-3 NAC 2015.jpg

Marc Antony with L. Plancus. Early summer 40 BC. AR Denarius (4.01 g, 6h). Military mint traveling with Antony and Plancus in central Greece. Lituus and capis / Sacrifical jug (loutrophorus?); winged thunderbolt and winged caduceus flanking. Crawford 522/4; CRI 255; Sydenham 1191; RSC 22

Marc Antony Denarius CR 522-4 CNG.jpg

Please feel free to post your coins with Caducei

Jwt708, Mikey Zee, Cucumbor and 21 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Macedonia, Lysimachos
    Coin: Bronze
    None - Helmeted head of Athena right.
    ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΛΥΣΙΜΑΧΟΥ - Forepart of Lion leaping over spear head right; monogram and caduceus behind
    Mint: Lysimachos (305-281 BC)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 2.26g / 14mm / -
    References:
    • SNG Tuebingen 969
    • Lindgren I, 907
    • Weber 2731 VF #L2465

dlhill132, Jwt708, Mikey Zee and 14 others like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

As usual, those are some stellar coins, @Carthago!

I have an interesting caduceus to offer. In Roman Egypt, syncretism was was common. This coin shows the god Hermanubis, a creation of Roman Egypt melding Greek Hermes and Egyptian Anubis. Both had similar roles as conductors of souls and interlocution between mortals and gods.

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Philip II as Caesar
    Regnal year 4 of Philip I, CE 246/7
    billion tetradrachm, 22 mm, 12.8 gm
    Obv: MIOVΦIΛIΠΠOCKCEB; cuirassed bust right, bare head
    Rev: Hermanubis standing facing, head right, winged caduceus in right arm and palm branch in left hand; jackal left at feet; L-Δ
    Ref: Emmett 3592.4(Caesar); Milne 3676

Often portrayed as a jackal-headed man carrying a caduceus, on this coin he appears as a regular man with a jackal at his feet.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]
    Geta (209 - 211 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: L SEPTIMIVS GETA CAES, draped bust right.
    R: FELICITAS TEMPOR, Felicitas standing left holding caduceus and cornucopia.
    Laodicea, 198 - 200 A.D.
    2.7g
    18mm
    RIC IV 95, RSC III 44, BMCRE V 144

6. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Gordian III sestertius (31mm, 20.87g), ric 310. Felicitas standing left holding caduceus and cornucopia.

gordianIII_310.jpg

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Demetrius I Trichalkon with ELEPHANT
    200-185 BC
    Diameter: 29.5 mm
    Weight: 12.61 grams
    Bactrian Kings, Demetrius I, bronze Attic trichalkon of:
    Obverse: Head of elephant with bell hanging from neck
    Reverse: Caduceus.
    Reference: Bopearachchi-16, Mitchiner-1086, SNG ANS 209

elephant.jpg

8. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Here are some:

Phil (35).JPG
    Phil (56).JPG
    Phil (65).JPG
    Phil (78).JPG

9. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

and some more:

Phil (147).JPG
    Phil (160).JPG
    Phil (165).JPG

10. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

You meant to write "syncretism" I think...

Both of my Othos are of the reverse type with caducei:

8c - Otho AR denarius.jpg
    OTHO Jan. - Apr. 69 A.D.
    AR Denarius (3.54 g.) Rome 69 A.D. RIC 4
    Obv. Bare head of Otho r. Rev. PAX ORBIS TERRARVM Pax standing left, holding branch and long caduceus

8d - Otho AV aureus.jpg
    OTHO Jan. - Apr. 69 A.D.
    AV Aureus (7.26 g.) Rome 69 A.D. RIC 3
    IMP M OTHO CAESAR AVG TR P Bare head right. Rev. PAX ORB - IS TERRARUM Pax, dressed, standing l. holding branch in r. hand and caduceus in l.

11. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

g068.jpg
    Marathos
    174 BC
    AE 22
    Obvs: No inscription. Ptolemy VI right as Hermes, Laur. and draped, caduceus over shoulder.
    Revs: Phoenician inscription, Marathos standing holding in right arm aphlaston. Phoenician date to left.

12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

LOVELY coins carthago!

here's an ugly coin i thought had a caduceus, but it is a staff af ascleupis...which only has a single snake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

looks like a dollar sign on the lower left.

so according to wikipedia, the modern medical symbol is a caduceus instead of a rod of asclepius because someone made the same mistake i did...and it just stuck?

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yes, thanks for catching that typo. I'll correct it.

14. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

A couple more I just remembered. Here, Sulla is holding a caduceus on the reverse:

Phil (66).JPG

and Victory holds one here:

Phil (97).JPG

15. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

One of the first RR imitations I purchased, part of my imitations collection dispersed in Gemini IX in 2012. The obverse derives from C. Vibius Pansa, the reverse with caduceus from C. Norbanus :

[​IMG]

16. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Thrace, Abdera.jpg
    Thrace, Abdera

CILICIA KORYKOS.jpg
    CILICIA, KORYKOS CITY COINAGE

C NORBANUS.jpg
    C NORBANUS

C Norbanus 2.jpg
    C NORBANUS

Q. SICINIUS.jpg
    Q. SICINIUS

dlhill132, Jwt708, Mikey Zee and 12 others like this.
  18. Bing

D Junius Brutus Albinus 1.jpg
    D. JUNIUS ALBINUS

Augustus 7.jpg
    AUGUSTUS

Claudius 3a.jpg
    CLAUDIUS

Vespasian 10.jpg
    VESPASIAN

ANONYMOUS Roman Republican 1.jpg
    ANONYMOUS
    Æ Quadrans

19. Bing

One more:

Julia Mamaea 2.jpg
    JULIA MAMAEA

20. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I'll see your Julia Mamaea denarius, Bing, and raise you two sestertii, one with Felicitas standing and one with her seated. She, of course, holds a caduceus in both examples.

Mamaea Felicitas Standing.jpg

Mamaea Felicitas Seated.jpg

21. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Over here the two are different symbols, and used differently. In fact, the German Wikipedia says that the Caduceus (Hermes Staff) is sometimes used by medical institutions in the US which apparently mix it up with the Rod of Asclepius. ;) While I don't have any ancients that I could show here, let me add that the Royal Dutch Mint (KNM) uses the caduceus as its mintmark.

muntteken.jpg

It was introduced precisely 200 years ago http://www.knm.nl/Het-muntteken/nl/page/417/ and is still used on Dutch coins.

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted