The Bruck Thread

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Mar 5, 2015.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Inspired by Doug's recent post, I scanned a figure with some of Bruck's excellent drawings of LRB reverse types. Tiere = Animals in German. Each of these reverse types feature some type of animal.

For the purposes of this thread, I've added red numbers to each type, to make it easier to reference. The rules are: post your BEST example of any type on this diagram. So, if you have all 19 types illustrated here, you can post 19 coins. As you all know, some of these types are shared between several emperors, others are unique to one, others are commemoratives. If you know which types are shared between which emperors, or which are unique, please post that as well. If you don't, let's figure it out together.

After we've all had a chance check off as many types as we can, I'll post a new diagram from the book. Let's see if we can get them all! (This is going to take a while.)

bruck1.jpg

I'll start with #11, an VRBS ROMA commemorative, and #19, a follis of Licinius II. The follis is pretty rough, but it's the only example I have of Jupiter with eagle and captive. (I need an upgrade.) Can anyone tell me which other emperors used reverse type 19?

urbs.jpg

liciniusii.jpg

Pishpash, zumbly, stevex6 and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Great idea Big John, would Licinius l be of the other Emperors?? i don't have all nineteen, but the ones i do have i'll post in a few..

4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

here's are a few of mine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pishpash, randygeki, zumbly and 4 others like this.
  5. John Anthony

Yes, and to my knowledge, the others are Constantine I and his son, Crispus.

6. John Anthony

Nice coins, John. Looking through Bruck, I think he meant #19 to be with or without captive, since the eagle is the animal element. In that case, I have a much better example of the type in Licinius I...

licinius.jpg

Pishpash, randygeki, Eng and 5 others like this.
  7. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

So far, I've got these 3 reverses. The last one is a barbarous issue. Charles Phoenix R.jpg PosthumR.jpg Barbar R.jpg

Pishpash, randygeki, zumbly and 5 others like this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Type 15

Constantius_II_24_opt.jpg
    CONSTANTIUS II AE3
    OBVERSE: DN CONSTANTIVS PF AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: FEL TEMP-REPARATIO, soldier spearing fallen horseman who is wearing Phrygian helmet, reaching backwards. ASIS zigzag in ex.
    Struck at Siscia 348-350 AD
    2.20g, 18 mm
    RIC VIII 243

9. Bing

Type 7
    Constantius Gallus_opt.jpg
    CONSTANTIUS GALLUS Centenionalis
    OBVERSE: D N FL CL CONSTANTIVS NOB CAES, Bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Helmeted soldier to left, shield on left arm, spearing fallen horseman; shield on ground at right. Horseman turns to face soldier and raises right arm, dot SMKA in ex.
    Struck at Cyzicus 351-354 AD
    5.40 g, 23.9 mm
    RIC-VIII, 97

10. Bing

Type 10
    Julian_II_3.jpg
    JULIAN II Majorina
    OBVERSE: D N FL CL IVLI-ANVS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: SECVRITAS REIPVB• dot, bull right, two stars above, •palm branch-CONSPA-palm branch in ex.
    Struck at Constantinople 3 Nov 361 - 26 June 363 A.D
    7.95g, 29.48mm
    RIC VIII 164

11. Bing

Type 11
    Urbs Roma 2.jpg
    CONSTANTINOPOLIS COMMEMMORATIVE AE3
    OBVERSE: VRBS ROMA, bust of Roma left wearing imperial mantle and plumed helmet
    REVERSE: She-wolf left with twins, two stars above, dot GSIS dot in ex.
    Struck at Siscia , 334-335 AD
    2.73g, 19mm
    RIC VII 240

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'm away from home now making it harder to find things to post but I like the idea here. Personally, I would prefer using charts from the second part of the book to limit the number of coins suitable. There must be 10,000 animal types included in the 19 general ones here.
    rx6410bb2219.jpg

Pishpash, zumbly, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  13. John Anthony

Nice work so far everyone! Here's a collecting tidbit about the VRBS/Wolf types. If you're working on a mint set, you will need 13 coins, one each from Trier, Lugdunum, Arles, Rome, Aquileia, Siscia, Thessalonica, Heraclea, Constantinople, Nicomedia, Cyzicus, Antioch, and Alexandria. Although Sirmium was active at this time, RIC does not record any VRBS ROMA emissions. Does anyone know if that's been amended since?

14. John Anthony

I've got to amend my earlier comment about the emperors that issued the Jupiter+Eagle types. I've come across two more: Constantine II and the usurper Martinian. I'll give RIC a thorough reading and report back, so that we're not missing any. In the meantime, here is #13, Phoenix on Mound...

phoenix.jpg

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

#1 Honorius
    rx8060bb1170.jpg
    If you follow up on the second section of Bruck you will see my coin shows the distinctive reins of Cyzicus. This is page 75 in the translation. Is it also in the German?

16. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

nice SIX pack :D

John Anthony likes this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

#14 Constantius II - This is like Bings #15 except it is the larger AE2 size.
    rx6335bb3004.jpg

Pishpash, randygeki, zumbly and 6 others like this.
  18. John Anthony

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Bing posted a perfectly good #7 which is FH3 with the soldier's leg behind the horses rump. Bruck separated the version (#8) where the soldier has his knee on the horse as shown on this AE3 FH3 from Rome.
    rx6425bb2711.jpg

Pishpash, Okidoki, randygeki and 5 others like this.
  20. John Anthony

It would appear the VICTORIA AVG LIB ROMANORVM types are unique to Magnentius and quite rare. Have you got one of those, Doug?

21. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

JA. Just as you asked. Here's Jupiter with a bird. Licinius I .. Lic R.jpg Lic O.jpg

Pishpash, Okidoki, randygeki and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted