The Bronze Imperial Coins of the Family of Septimius Severus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Blake Davis, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Blake Davis

Blake Davis Well-Known Member

The “IMP IIII” Moneta type - I would insert the RIC number but I am doing this from work - is almost impossible to find - yours is one of the few examples I have come across.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Blake Davis

Thanks for posting this - i would love to see another example or any coins but I have also had no luck navigating the site -

4. Blake Davis

Curtis - I just picked up an example of a Caracalla sestertius - RIC 398(b) - half the obverse inscription is not visible but it just so happens that I have a die match of the obverse, with Securitas on the reverse. This positively identifies the coin as 398(b) - and I have yet to find another example, although I have not checked out the database at the British Museum. There are coins claimed to be 398(b) on acsearch.info, but on closer examination all but (perhaps - a CNG example) one is not. I will be doing an article on this and one other aspect of the sestertii of Caracalla - the immediate change in his portraiture once Geta was executed - this weekend and hopefully you will find these interesting enough to comment. I had thought that the days of being able to find affordable interesting Severan sestertii were over since I had not been able to find anything since January but clearly not quite yet! Blake

5. Blake Davis

I have looked at this over and over again - an utterly gorgeous example - Blake

6. Dafydd

Dafydd Supporter! Supporter

Some superb coins here and a great OP.
    This is an interesting coin and relevant , I have shown this before.

upload_2022-8-21_22-25-50.png

Geta, as Caesar, 198-209 AD. Æ As, 23 mm, 5.74 gm. Struck 203-208 AD. Obv: Bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind. Rev: FELICITAS SAECVLI SC Septimius, Caracalla and Geta seated right on platform, officer before; citizen standing left at foot of platform. RIC IV 126; BMCRE 834; Cohen 41.

cmezner, paschka, Curtis and 2 others like this.
  7. Dafydd

8. Dafydd

Here are the images without the links.
    upload_2022-8-21_22-35-52.png
    upload_2022-8-21_22-36-17.png

9. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

Blake,

I look forward to seeing the photos of your two new Caracalla bronze coins.

10. Blake Davis

Curtis - when you say Paris what collection is that in? Is it the French National Collection - I'm not sure that exists, or in Louvre?

11. Blake Davis

I have been tied up with work but i will post these tonight - I have the article worked out in my mind. I am also going to do an article on something I am sure you noticed about the portraiture of Caracalla once Geta was gone - the neutral portrait was replaced by the snarling fiend memorialized in statuary - Cassius Dio mentioned how much Caracalla liked it when someone commented on his nasty facial expressions. And, as I sure you have noticed, this is vividly expressed in the sestertii before and after the death of Geta.

12. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

"Paris" may be taken to mean the French National Collection, housed in the French National Library (Bibliothèque Nationale) in Paris. The collection was rehoused about 20 years ago, but I think still remains within the walls of the same building, the French National Library.

paschka likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted