The British Are Coming!!!Post British Empire Empire Coins.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by jello, Jun 23, 2013.

1. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I love half crowns! I rated this one as AU, though it looks better than that in this picture. When my new digital microscope comes (and I learn how to use it), there should be some better pix coming.

1887 GB Half Crown obv.jpg 1887 GB Half Crown rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That's a beautiful half crown.

4. mark240590

mark240590 Rule Britannia !

These two arrived in the post yesterday. I am over the moon with the Bahamas halfpenny I've wanted a nice grade one since I got my F one years ago !
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

H8_modern, jj00, jello and 1 other person like this.
  5. mark240590

Last night I won a genuine TBo over crowned C Stampee so now I have 3 types :)
    I love it when you can see the undertypes on these. I also just missed out on a Montserrat black dog from the same seller as I was asleep !:(
    [​IMG][​IMG]

jester3681 and jello like this.
  6. mark240590

Nice New Zealand token today and an E&D 1 guilder tough to get in decent grades unless you have muchos ££££ I'm happy with this one
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Nice NZ Token!

8. mark240590

More E & D pieces arrived today from America
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jj00, jello, PaddyB and 1 other person like this.
  9. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

I thought I would post some of my 17th Century Crowns for your delectation!

1677 Charles II Crown - he was the son of Charles I who was beheaded as part of the English Civil War:
    1677 Crown.jpg
    1687 James II Crown - brother of Charles kicked out for being too Catholic:
    1687 Crown.jpg
    1692 William and Mary Crown. Wiliam had a distant claim to the throne but was protestant and so preferred by Parliament. Mary was the daughter of James II and so their marriage gave some legitimacy to Williams claim. Note the 2 over upside down two in the date - even the die makers found this circular date format confusing!
    1692 Crown.jpg
    1695 William III Crown. After Mary's death William continued on his own. He was famous for his big nose!
    1695 Crown.jpg

I love all these coins but I find the reverse design of the William and Mary Crown one of the most pleasing of all British coins.

10. mark240590

Awesome pieces Paddy. I have to agree with you there the same goes for the shilling. I've wanted a nice grade one for quite some time but they're very pricey.

Here's another I forgot from Eastern Aden, countermarked on an East India Company 1/4 Anna.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

H8_modern, PaddyB and jello like this.
  11. mark240590

Had to collect this from the PO today. Chuffed with it the iPhone can't capture how nice it is nice UNC with a few bag marks :)

[​IMG][​IMG]

jj00, jello and PaddyB like this.
  12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Those are great, Paddy!

PaddyB likes this.
  13. PaddyB

I do so love the British tradition of the "Car Boot Sale" - not sure the right terminology in the US?
    These picked up today at my local:

CBS group.jpg CBS group b.jpg

I know what they are of course, but maybe I shall leave it to you to have some fun identifying them?

jello likes this.
  14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

We call them "Flea Markets". Wish my Flea Markets sold coins like that. We usually have usual junk world coins or over cleaned/priced u.s. coins.

15. PaddyB

Yes - we have flea markets too, but they usually come with tables provided and often indoors. The Car boot is where you pull up in a field or large car-park, open your boot (trunk in American) and sell whatever you have brought along. They generally happen on Sunday mornings in the UK.
    I take along my spare coins and, because I do the same ones fairly regularly, people start bringing me their spares to sell or trade. Great way of doing business!

16. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

1871 Prince Edward Island Large Cent, mintage 2,000,000 at the Heaton mint;
    "PARVA SUB INGENTI", translates as "The small beneath the great"

1871 Prince Edward Island Large Cent Rev MS64.JPG 1871 Prince Edward Island Large Cent Obv MS64.JPG

17. yarm

yarm Junior Member

18. rooman9

Very nice, I love these Victorian obverses from India. What's the grade? 64?

jello likes this.
  19. yarm

yarm Junior Member

64RD, was part of a group of red examples that appeared recently.

rooman9 likes this.
  20. rooman9

A great coin, also just noticed the nice die cracks.

21. mark240590

Another month before my big lull in expecting over the next year !
    Got a nice Ceylon plantation token
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you know I've been buying a lot of West Indian stuff recently and he trend hasn't really bucked so far
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also got this Ionian islands lepton to upgrade my old one
    [​IMG][​IMG].
    I also picked up another South Shields halfpenny excuse my hands I've lost my cotton gloves D'oh ! That's 5 I have now..
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I then bought another guilder.. Not the greatest grade but they're hard to get so i would rather have something than none. And the group after I got from one seller too..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The above group includes some anchor money 1/4 is the 1822/1 overdate and the 1/8 is the 1820 scarcer issues, the 1/16 is just an upgrade.

H8_modern, jj00, jello and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted