The Botanic Garden. 1820 through 1995.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Shrews1994, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

This one here is beautiful! CM181205-110328003.jpg CM181205-110341004.jpg

Paul M., NSP, Paddy54 and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Those are pretty silver dollars. Very underrated, I've got two of them in the original packaging.

4. Shrews1994

5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Not to cut your thread into another direction, but I notice your last picture shows the beginnings of peripheral toning, due to how and where it was stored. I own the very same coin, still in its original government-issued packaging, and it is utterly without any whiff or hint of toning. It is fully blast white. Here is my problem concerning toned coins - why should this one here be as desirable, much less more so, than mine? When someone can adequately explain that to my satisfaction, I'll shut up about disliking toned coins, but not a single day sooner.

Nice coin, by the way, Shrews.

Shrews1994 likes this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Oh, how I love that coin.

I ordered 2 of the sets with the matte finish nickel for $29 or $39 each from the mint and flipped them for $270 each as soon as they arrived. I used the profit to buy an 1901-S Quarter in AG3 (nice, just wear) for my Barber set. Turns out, I lucked out on that deal, so every time I see a Botanic Commem, I'm reminded of the 1901-S that completed my Barber set

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yes. Not only a nice design, but that particular example has nice subtle toning around the edges. Which I happen to like.

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Hers isn’t more desirable than yours. The overwhelming majority of modern commemorative collectors want blast white coins because they want a matched set. Furthermore, light brown peripheral toning does not increase eye appeal and will be neutral with respect to grade & price. When you move into classic US coinage, a much higher % of collectors want original skins & eye appeal. Sometimes, toning satisfies both wants.

The only the the toning does for this coin is provide a measure of security that the coin has never been dipped. Anyone who has ever owned the Botanic Gardens or Jefferson commemorative sets in OGP knows that this brown peripheral toning is typical, unless they took steps to stop it.

Either way, it is a beautiful coin and one of my favorite modern commemorative designs.

Paul M. and Paddy54 like this.
  9. V. Kurt Bellman

That's right. This coin may have (probably did) formerly hung out with a 1997 specimen nickel, but not all of them did.

10. Shrews1994

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

download.jpg Both the 94 and 97 sets that had the two matte finished nickels were great sets.
    The both of the dollar coin's toned over time just like the one the op has posted.
    The nickels I do believe were the lowest minted of the Jefferson series.
    The two commemorative dollars I agree are two of the nicest modern commemorative minted.
    The op specimen is very nice....and came from the set as that is the unc. P mint Silver dollar 58,505 as the proof was 189,671 mintage.
    The 1997 s Prestige set Botanic dollar set 80,000 mintage.
    The Botanic garden is right off 395 right behind the U.S.Captial in D.C.
    images.jpg
    images-2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  12. V. Kurt Bellman

Both were also sold separately in the velour clamshell. The Botanic Garden is just off the steps of the west front of the Capitol, just to the President-elect's left as Presidents since Reagan have been inaugurated.

13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Shrews1994 and Paul M. like this.
  14. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Here’s how the dollar is presented in the Botanic Garden Set along with the 1997 satin finish nickel. It really is a nice design. 6CC9DBD6-BE0F-4723-B32A-CDE5A4120C6D.jpeg

E99DDC22-07FE-4937-9AF2-844B25F5CD5E.jpeg

79DB266F-0AFD-44C4-9C50-11095891CD98.jpeg

Shrews1994 and Paul M. like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted