The Best of Coin Talk Ancient Style!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I only joined in March of this year ..at that point I only owned a single uncleaned 10 coin lot, a book (Van Meter's Handbook of Roman Imperial Coins .. purchased from Forvm) and I think a few LRBs I had won from Forvms member's auction.
    I learn something from almost every thread posted here and I really appreciate the help I have received.
    My favorite threads have been the Coin Imperator Tournament - which was awesome.. especially @ancientcoinguru .. her write ups and coins were very special.
    Another thread(s) I have enjoyed following was @Bing - his long (now fulfilled) quest to fill his awesome cabinet of Marc Antony Legionary Denarius. Inspiring... any post by @dougsmit is also a must read.
    A few members that have really helped me out are @Orfew, @ancientcoinguru, @Ryro, @Curtisimo, @Orielensis, @ominus1 and many others - thank you!

I also have to admit that I love any thread where @dougsmit gets cranky... :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That was a fun thread and one of my favorite scores of all time. :) I ended up taking Doug's advice with that Diadumenian... I received the Sear thumbs up, and eventually sold it. That one and perhaps a dozen more are no longer part of my collection, but I still have the bulk of that lot and some of them, like the ex-jewelry Otho, Tiberius 'tribute penny', Hosidius Geta, and Hadrian Aegypto denarius, I've grown so fond of that I'll probably never part with them.

Theodosius, Ryro, TIF and 1 other person like this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Tell us your favorite one, if you dare. :troll::D

Ryro, TIF and Clavdivs like this.
  5. Clavdivs

I am not taking the bait... :happy:

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Those are my favorites, too. :) I get cranky easily when I see posts that I feel will drive off potential new members who are serious about the hobby. These include time wasters like, "I don't know but hope someone else does" and "My coin is in no way related to the topic but I have not posted today so here it is again." What bothers me most are the ones about how much reading we do but we only skim threads reading one word in ten so we miss major points as well as important details.
    So very often we have people here expertising coins from photos "Looks good to me, but I know nothing" but some accepted a photo of a plaster cast as a coin from my collection. Labels only work if read. The speed reading skills taught in grade school that allow enjoyment of five novels at a time don't fare as well in some cases.

On several occasions we have pointed out the Ignore feature of CT software that allows us not to see things that bother us. We also have the option to 'soft ignore' posts that don't add to our enjoyment of Coin Talk. I hope to be able to use 'soft ignore' more skillfully in the New Year. Our friend TIF selected her name 'This Is Fun' for a reason. Some of us are here to have different kinds of fun than others. I promise you that I will continue to be cranky every bit as much in the new year. You just won't know about it as often. Those with serious questions are welcome to use Private Conversations.

7. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I am a 'newbie' to CT. That is relatively speaking, compared to "oldtimers" like Bing......

I must say, since I am that quirky guy who dares to also collect, "modern" stuff.....by that I mean coins that were struck after the Fall of Constantinople in 1453....means that I also post on the "world" and "US" forums. By far, you guys/ gals devoted to ancients are the most passionate, articulate and nicest people to share the hobby with.:)

I was always a history buff, but I have learned a lot about ancients that I never knew about before I joined.
    Its nice also to see the coin types that i personally do not collect, all coins are beautifull to admire. Its because of this that I started expanding mu interests into Imperial/ RR AR Denari/ also my get into Provincial Tetradrachms (after seeing Triton XXII) selection.
    I remember when I first saw Cucumbor's ID and noted "Dombes", had i not have had a coin from there, I probably would not have known that he has a fantastic Dombes collection. Ancient Joe, who has a truly magnificent collection, reached out to give me that "sage advice", I certainly thank him for that. I love Bing's passion for RR coins. Doug is not grumpy, he has a great knowledge of the hobby, and his posts are very informative. Curtisimo has to be applauded for his great CT contests, thanks for a great idea, its like a modern version of the "games". My hats off to Severus Alexander for his successfull foray onto the auction scene, well done. For all the other members, I am proud to be one of you.
    John

8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Golly, love you too Dougie:kiss:
    I already owned up to misreading the post (even took shiz from dogbreath;) over it). I never said that I thought that pic was the coin. I thought you had lost the coin that your friend gave you and only had the pictured cast. Thanks for the vote of confidence buddy.
    As well, comparing my literacy to a grade schooler is far too complimentary. It's at a preschool level and we all know it. Rather than "someone" being passive aggressive, just PM me.
    I thoroughly enjoy your posts and will do better at reading them and not just drooling over the pics (I subscribe for the articles and pics #Coinboy).
    Now, back to a thread that was designed to help new folks see how fun coin talk is and reminding some of the more tenured folks of the fun to come...
    giphy-5.gif

9. Clavdivs

@dougsmit I hope you took my comment in the fun manner in which it was meant. After years of answering the same questions over and over from newbie's like me - I am actually surprised with your restraint... and certainly appreciate your help. But when we have that poster who seems to change usernames every month or so start leading the discussion down the garden path - I know the hammer is coming! Those hammer posts are pretty entertaining..

10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

For me the best moment here at CT was when the ancient section got really active, to the point we had to split from the world section before we'd have it swallowed

Thread, well, there are many, but the most memorable are probably @Curtisimo's tournament threads all along this fall and last year's. That was fun, educative and we saw quite a lot of reasonnably good stuff :)

A coin. I think the one that's stands out will be, again, one of @AncientJoe's collection, the best crocodile I've ever seen

[​IMG]

Q

11. Aunduril

Aunduril Well-Known Member

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Lol / ROFL. You know, I like you... I will always give you some “shiz” :D

13. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Aww shucks, Aunduril - thanks for the shout out :)

Aunduril likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted