The Best Money in Christendom

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ycon, Jun 26, 2018.

1. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

When I first posted about the coinage of Benvenuto Cellini, I wrote that my next holy grail was the testone of Alessandro de' Medici. Today that coin arrived in the mail, from DNW. It is more beautiful in hand (aren't they always) with the toning in the fields appearing much more even.
    Image1forWeb.jpg
    Tuscany, Alessandro de Medici (1510-37), Testone, ALEX ANDER M – R P FLOREEN DVX, bust of Alessandro l., Rv. S COSMVS – S DAMIANVS. Cosimo and Damiano standing facing. , 9.95g/12h (MIR 103). Plugged, otherwise very fine, rare. Dies by Benvenuto Cellini.

I didn't exactly expect to get this coin so soon, or for such a good price. I think I benefited considerably from the venue, which mainly specializes in British coins and did not describe any of the extraordinary things about this coin, while starting it at an extremely low opening bid. Its placement nestled near the end of the auction may have helped me a bit too. Nonetheless it is the most expensive coin I have purchased by far, and I'm not sure there will ever be another coin I am willing to spend that much on.

Cellini describes the coin in his autobiography (LXXX):

"No sooner had I dismounted that I went to visit Duke Alessandro, and thanked him greatly for his present of the fifty crowns, telling his Excellency that I was always ready to serve him according to my abilities. He gave me orders at once to strike dies for his coinage; and the first I made was a piece of forty soldi, with the Dukes head on one side and San Cosimo and San Damiano on the other. This was in silver, and it gave so much satisfaction that the Duke did not hesitate to say they were the best pieces of money in Christendom. The same said all Florence and every one who saw them. Consequently I asked his Excellency to make me appointments, and to grant me the lodgings of the Mint. He bade me remain in his service, and promised he would give me more than I demanded. Meanwhile he said he had commissioned the Master of the Mint, a certain Carlo Acciaiuoli, and that I might go to him for all the money that I wanted. This I found to be true; but I drew my monies so discreetly, that I had always something to my credit, according to my account."

He also describes it in his treatise on goldsmithing:

"In Florence likewise did I make all the moneys for Duke Alexander the
    first of that name; they were 40 soldi pieces. And because the Duke was
    curly headed, the people called these coins the Duke’s curls. On one
    side was his head, and on the other St. Cosmo and St. Damian."

Alessandro was the first Duke of Florence, a title which was created by his cousin (or possibly illegitimate father) Clement VII. His father, Lorenzo II was the son of Lorenzo the Magnificent. His mother was likely Simonetta da Collevecchio, a Medici servant of African descent, making him one of the first black rulers in Europe, and also earning him the nickname "il moro." Alessandro was made duke at 19, after Clement had made piece with Charles V, following the sack from Rome, and the latter had assisted in quashing the newly reinstated Florentine Republic. As part of the alliance he was married to the natural daughter of Charles V, Margaret of Austria. However, his rule proved tyrannical, and he was at assassinated at the age of 26 by his cousin, Lorenzaccio-- who compared himself favorably to Brutus. He was succeeded by another distant cousin, who became Cosimo I de' Medici.

The artistry of Cellini's coin is incredible, distinguishing it as one of the finest Renaissance numismatic portraits, and as Cellini's masterpiece in coinage. He perfectly captures Alessandro's likeness, which can be seen here in paintings by Pontormo (top) and Bronzino (bottom).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note, too, the family resemblance (and identical schnoz!) shared with Clement VII-- ample and pointed, (ahem) evidence supporting the rumors of parentage.

[​IMG]

It can be seen, too, in my coin of Clement. Though do to the double strike it is less pronounced than in many other examples.

3569823l.jpg

Rome. Clement VII (Giuliano de’Medici), 1523-1534. Doppio Carlino
    , AR 5.01 g. CLEMENS·VII PONT· MAX Bearded bust left with ornate cope with figures of saints and medallion. Rv. Mintmark of Giacomo Balducci. QVARE – DVBITASTI (Matthew 14:31) Christ lifting St. Peter from the Sea. Muntoni 43. Berman 841. Rare. VF, profile of Clement slightly doubled. Dies by Benvenuto Cellini.

There is now only one more coin of Cellini's I hope to get. He writes about four more in his autobiography, but three are exceedingly rare, being found only in museum collections. I won't write anymore about the last one now-- I don't want any competition!

In honor of my new favorite post your favorite coins!

ominus1, Chris B, Cucumbor and 24 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Congratulations on this wonderful acquisition. I really enjoyed reading about Cellini and the coins he designed. I wish you luck on getting the next target coin.

Here is one of my favourite coins at the moment. I recently posted about finally getting a lifetime portrait denarius of Julius Ceasar. This coin was issued ten years earlier by Brutus one of the chief plotters and assassins.

This is an important coin because it identifies Liberty as one of the prime motivations behind the actions of Brutus. He was worried that the dictatorship of Julius Caesar would lead to the end of Liberty.

Marcus Junius Brutus (54 BC). AR denarius
    (20.36 mm 4.04 g.). Rome.
    Obv: Head of Libertas right
    Rev: The consul Lucius Junius Brutus walking left between two lictors, carrying axes over their shoulders, and preceded by an accensus; BRVTVS in exergue.
    Crawford 433/1. Sydenham 906. RSC Junia 31.
    Purchased March 23, 2017 from Munzenkontor Kornbum on MA-Shops

Brutus new.jpg

4. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Congratulations on winning such an attractive coin @ycon I can see why it was a grail coin for you. The bust of Alessandro is truly a masterpiece.

I just picked up a copy of Papal Coins by Berman and am really impressed by the quality of renaissance Papal coinage. I would love to pick up a few coins of Julius II.

ancientcoinguru and ycon like this.
  5. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Congratulations on such a fine and important coin- and thank you for the interesting write up.

I guess my favorite (this month) is a Nero as countermarked for Galba. I recently posted it, but it's probably the best thing in my collection:

Nero w Galba countermark May 2018 (1).JPG

Nero / Galba Æ As
    (63 A.D.; c/m 69 A.D.)

NERO CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG GERMANICVS, laureate head right / [GENIO AVGVSTI], Genius, naked to waist, standing half-left, holding cornucopiae, [altar left]. RIC 125
    Countermark: ΓAΛBΛ (GALBA in Greek) Howgego GIC 526
    (9.77 grams / 27 mm)

Galba Countermarks:
    "GALBA in Greek Letters (Martini Pangerl Collection 92). This countermark occurs also on Provincial coins and is Howgego as GIC 526. (These) coins are in
    the grey zone between official coins (so called Thrakian mint) and provincial coins of the Balkan region" (Museum of Roman CM)

TJC, ancientcoinguru, Andres2 and 9 others like this.
  6. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

What an absolutely phenomenal coin, ycon!!! That would be the centrepiece of virtually any collection, it compares favourably with some of the best examples on acsearch. Congratulations!!! Just... wow. :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

Instead of posting my favourite coin, I'll post something related, my only coin from a Medici (note the Medici crest below the papal keys on the obverse):
    Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 11.31.40 PM.jpg
    It's a giulio of Pope Leo X, aka Giovanni de' Medici, son of Lorenzo the Magnificent. I believe he was instrumental in fostering the career of Alessandro's alleged father, Lorenzo II.

(@Orfew: that's a beautiful Brutus, I would love to have one like that! I also like how your photo of the inclined reverse makes it look like the stately senator and lictors are rushing pell mell down the hill! :D)

TJC, Jwt708, ancientcoinguru and 7 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

WHile I do not know much about this period in history, you have a wonderful coin @ycon ! It looks great, and the slight doubling makes a really interesting feature!

My favorite coin for the moment:

Rome finally joins the world with their very first issue of a Silver coin. This marks some of their beginnings to going on to be great. Prior to this issue, they were only a bronze based coin economy. Now, with a Silver issue, they begin to gain wealth and growth.

RR Anon AR Heavy Denarius - Didrachm 310-300 BCE 20mm 7.28g Mars-Horse Romano FIRST minted.JPG
    RR Anon AR Heavy Denarius - Didrachm 310-300 BCE 20mm 7.28g Mars-Horse Romano FIRST Silver coin minted by Rome, Sear 22, Craw 13/1

Hrefn, TJC, Jwt708 and 8 others like this.
  9. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

What a wonderful coin! Congratulations on acquiring such a treasure. In my youth I read on a whim Cellini's Autobiography and enjoyed it thoroughly. You have inspired me to re-read it (if I can find it on my bookshelves......)

10. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Best Money in Christendom ? Reminded me of Judas, in the Bible, with his 30 pieces of silver. Do we know anything about those coins (whatever religion we follow or don't follow !)?

11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Some folks think that the 30 pieces of silver were Tyrian shekels, or perhaps Syrian tetradrachms with the preponderance of folks thinking it was the former as Tyrian shekels were used to pay the temple tax in Jerusalem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrian_shekel

By the way, great portrait on the OP coin.

12. Bert Gedin

Thanks for those clues, ancient coin hunter. You just might be on the right track.

13. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Beautiful coin and fun and fascinating historical essay, @ycon ! I always have difficulty picking my favorite coin but I'll post two of my favorites. I imagine that it would be similarly difficult for a father to pick his favorite child (although I don't know for sure because I have no children. My wife and I married rather late in life) This coin has a connection to Christendom in that it may be of the type mentioned in the Scriptures as Tribute money.

Tribute_Penny_w_Thorns.jpg

This is one of my favorite Judaean coins

EIGHTH SHEKEL.jpg

TJC, ancientcoinguru, Ajax and 5 others like this.
  14. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

@Severus Alexander I love that coin! The trident is the fugger bank mark. In old sources (that often conflate the administrative position of mintmaster with the artistic one of die engraver) it's sometimes attributed to Giulio Romano. I've never been able to find other evidence that Giulio Romano designed or engraved coins, but they're some of the first truly renaissance coins in their artistry.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  15. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Thanks!! It's a junk-box coin compared to your OP, but I was thrilled to get it. I didn't know about the alleged Giulio Romano connection, I will have to look into it! I agree that the Fugger connection is very interesting, and ironic in association with the Medici crest... but I won't say any more here as I was thinking of doing a main post on this coin. ;)

ycon likes this.
  16. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

@ycon, both your OP coins are beauties! It's hard to choose a favorite, but this is one of my favorite medieval coins.

Jeanne of Provence and Forcaiquier.png
    1362-1382 FRANCE, Provence
    Jeanne, Countess of Provence and Forcalquier
    AR Sol Coronat 2.49gm - 26mm
    Obv: Crown over two lis Rev: Arms of Anjou and Jerusalem
    Reference: Rob.5982 B.852

TJC, Ajax, Orfew and 4 others like this.
  17. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I have her successor’s son, Louis II. C3F051A5-6140-4F89-91A6-A83D686EC92D.jpeg B6372CB0-3E56-4BAC-9A70-B63EEA7DFB50.jpeg

TJC, Ajax, Orfew and 3 others like this.
  18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very cool new addition @ycon . In my coin collection my "favorite" is always changing which seems typical. Here is my current:

[​IMG]
    Septimius Severus, 193 - 211 AD
    Æ 8 Assaria, 32mm, 15.31g, 8h; Thrace, Pautalia Mint.
    Obv.: AV K A CEΠTI CEVHPOC ΠEP; Laureate head of Septimius right.
    Rev.: OVΛΠIAC ΠAVTAΛIAC; Fourfold coiled serpent with erect head right.

TJC, ycon, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  19. Bert Gedin

Jw708, You say your "favorite" is always changing. Like the sake on your coin, always coiling ?

Draft saved Draft deleted