The best George III Coin to buy

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by PersianGuy, Nov 24, 2009.

1. PersianGuy

PersianGuy my.will.is.good

My son has a great interest in King George III of England, so much so that he asked me to buy him the movie "The Madness of George" for Christmas and is a walking encyclopedia of his life and reign...

I thought not only would I get him the DVD, but I would buy a coin minted during his reign with his likeness on it. Having ZERO experience with English coins and wanting to find something reasonable (under $100) and of a decent grade... (actually something quite circulated would be best, as it would add character I think)

Can anyone recommend which series/denomination/grade would I be best to look for? Whats your personal favorite etc?

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

4. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Agreed.

5. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

6. PersianGuy

That token sounds really interesting! Used in London gambling houses of that period. I would prefer to buy him an official coin tho, that halfpenny is pretty amazing (and affordable!).. Thanks!!

7. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

I think I would have to go with the old penny

[​IMG]

8. davemac

davemac dave

:high5:
    i like what your doing for youy son
    so pm me and i will send you one of his coins
    dave

9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Madness of King George is a pretty funny movie.

Of course I'm biased, but by far my favorite King George III coin is the 1787 shilling. I got this one for $85, and its in excellent condition.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. PersianGuy

I agree, I love this coin!! I think he will too.

11. PersianGuy

so since I've sort of decided on the 1787 Shilling ... and just checked Ebay (and Heritage) to see what's being sold. Is there a site (maybe based in The UK) you guys recommend which would specialize in English coins?

Thanks!

12. davemac

davemac dave

:(i am sorry my offer to is not a shilling
    but was something that you would not feel guilty about
    letting your son play with
    dave

13. PersianGuy

I missed your earlier post Dave, sometimes the forum scrolls down too fast. Thank You!

14. davemac

davemac dave

i know what that is like
    your welcome
    dave
    :high5:

15. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Get a 2d cartwheel.

I got this one raw from Allen Berman at Coinfest last month. Now it's in a holder to protect its condition & sharp edges.

Attached Files:

16. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

George owned it

My grading teacher Bill showed me a George III coronation medal. When I graded it, I asked him what the significance of the medal was. He said “That is the coronation medal of the guy that owned the United States”.

Of course, it wasn’t called the USA when George owned it.

17. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

You might also consider a few Conder tokens that were minted to celebrate his monarchy. There are several that pay homage to the good king. Bill McKivor's site probably has a few that are affordable at thecoppercorner.com

I wrote about a particular King George III piece and posted some nice pics here:

http://www.cointalk.com/t44789/

His history is fascinating and a great time period in history to study. Your son picked a good place to focus a collection.

18. PersianGuy

Fascinating post! Beautiful token.. LOVE the detail. Thanks!

19. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

The 1787 shilling has been on my list of coins to buy for over 5 years now, I'm searching for a well toned exemple, the bust is so powerful. If you pick one of these up make sure to pick up the smee of hearts variety. you can see the hearts on physics-fan3.14 exemple.

great coin

Draft saved Draft deleted