Featured The Besieger - Demetrius I Poliorketes

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TheRed, Feb 28, 2018.

1. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

It's time for another long-winded post by TheRed.

With the death of Alexander III the Great in 323 BC, the contest to control the Macedonian Empire saw the rise of some fascinating men and women. While my favorite of the Diadochi is Seleukos I Nikator, one of the most colorful, charismatic, and ultimately tragic people of the period was Demetrius I Poliorketes.

His father was one of Alexander's generals and satraps, Antigonus I Monophthalmus. Demetrius served under his father as a general on both land and sea. Upon capturing Athens, Demetrius had himself declared a divine liberator and reputedly installed his harem in the Acropolis. One of the most famous incidents from his life was the siege he conducted against the city of Rhodes. For a year Demetrius tried to take the city, devising incredible siege engines. One such engine was a massive iron plated siege tower called Helepolis that stood 130 feet tall and mounted numerous catapults. Despite his ingenuity, the city of Rhodes withstood the siege and Demetrius returned to the mainland in defeat. The siege engines became a tourist attraction and visitors to the island paid to examine them. The people of Rhodes also constructed the famous Colossus to commemorate their victory.

In 302 BC father and son were defeated at the battle of Ipsus and Antigonus I was killed. Demetrius, after many twists of fate, eventually made himself king of Macedon in 294 BC. While he could win battles, he was unable to secure the spoils, and was eventually driven from his kingdom by the forces of Pyrrhus, Lysimachos, and Ptolemy. He took his army to Asia where his forces, after plundering a number of provinces, were eventually decimated by plague. Bereft of treasure and soldiers, Demetrius was captured by Seleukos I Nikator. Instead of being executed, has was imprisoned in luxury in Syria and allowed to live out his life surrounded by wine and women. After a career of over 20 years, Demetrius died in 283 BC and his remains were returned to his son. While unable to hold onto the throne of Macedon himself, Demetrius established the Antigonid dynasty, and his son would rule the kingdom for almost 40 years. In fact, the Antigonid dynsty would rule Macedon until king Perseus was defeated by the Romans at the battle of Pydna in 168 BC.

The coins of Demetrius are some of the most interesting and aesthetically pleasing of all the Diadochi, especially his tetradrachms. The coin I recently acquired is a more modest bronze.
    Demetrios I Poliorketes .jpg
    Demetrius I Poliorketes AE11, 298-295 BC Cilicia, Tarsos mint, 1.817g, 11.2mm.
    Obv: Male head (of Demetrios?) right, wearing crested Corinthian helmet.
    Rev: Prow right, apluster right behind, A X below.

Please feel free to post any coins you feel are relevant to Demetrius, the kingdom of Macedon, or the Diadochi.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Although the Β Α inscription seems to indicate Alexander the Great, there is a good chance these shield/helmet bronzes were issued by Demetrius. They seem related to the towns he held.

1177LG.jpg
    "In the name of Alexander the Great?" Circa 293-286 BC? 4g 17mm
    The symbol on the left of the helmet is a Rose (!!!)

Richard Ashton believes the rose issue is from Sardes, based on the number of specimens in regional Turkish museums. Martin Price had assigned the rose variety in his “Miletus or Mylasa” section.

Salamis in Cyprus was apparently the most prolific mint for this type. Perhaps the chronology of the issue can be suggested from the history of Salamis. Demetrios I of Macedon defeated Ptolemy in a naval battle in 306 BC and captured Cyprus. Kaunos, another mint for the type, was on the mainland near Rhodes; in 305 Demetrios besieged Rhodes and it makes sense that he would have had some kind of base near Rhodes to launch attacks from. As Demetrios held Salamis and probably Kaunos it would be satisfying to connect him with this issue. An explanation involving Demetrios would also make sense if the rose symbol referred to the Rhodes campaign.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice bronze & addition TR.

5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Awesome right up! Demetrius Poliorketes is also one of my favorites of the post Alexander fellas. I believe Plutarch compared him to Marc Antony due to their love of wine and woman (and the 2 being their down falls). My fav has too be Pyrrhus. The guy beat up the Romans when no one knew just how Great they were to become...even if in his "Pyrric" fashion. Ptolemy was kind of a nerd and not much of a commander. Lysimachos and Kassander come off as jerks (though I love their coins). Antigonus I, the one eyed (as you noted) Demetrius pop, was also a favorite...though you left out my favorite part of the story. Supposedly the Rhodians (tearing it apart and using it's pieces) turned the abandoned helepolis into the Colossus of Rhodes (a statue of Helios)!

Sadly, I have no Demetrius. But here's pops with the famous Macedonian Gorgon shield...
    20180228_145519.jpg 20180228_145543.jpg
    Antigonus I
    Gorgon shield obverse
    Helmet reverse
    14 mm
    4.4 gr
    316-301 BCE

And I'll throw in my fav since they we're contemporaries...

20180228_145615.jpg 20180228_145629.jpg

Pyrrhus!
    Sicily, Syracuse
    AE 23/24
    10.25 gr
    Athena Promachus reverse

Marsyas Mike, TheRed, Jwt708 and 13 others like this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thanks for that nice summary, @TheRed!

I have no coins of Demetrius I but like many of us here on CT, I do have one from his son:

[​IMG]
    KINGS OF MACEDON, Antigonos II Gonatas
    277/6-239 BCE, struck after 270 BCE, Amphipolis mint
    AR tetradrachm, 31mm, 17.06 g
    Obv: head of Pan in center of Macedonian shield, lagobolon over shoulder; shield decorated with stars within crescents
    Rev: BASILEWS ANTIGONOU, Athena Alkidemos walking left, brandishing thunderbolt and shield; helmet left, EMP monogram right
    Ref: SNGCop 1200v, EMP (maybe); R. Martin, "A Third-Century B.C. Hoard from Thessaly at the ANS," ANSMN 26, 536 (same obv. die).
    ex Demetrios Armounta Collection

Marsyas Mike, Ajax, TheRed and 15 others like this.
  7. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Here's Demetrius I Soter. Newell 55.

Demetrios I    TyrePalm.jpg Demetri R       Newell 55.jpg

Marsyas Mike, Ajax, TheRed and 6 others like this.
  8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coins all. I really enjoyed hearing about the history of the diadochoi from Erich Gruen, professor of ancient history at UC-Berkeley. He wrote the book The Hellenistic World and the Coming of Rome, which I highly recommend, as well as being a highly regarded scholar on the Augustan period and the early empire.

gruen.jpg

TheRed, RAGNAROK, Alegandron and 2 others like this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My two are the same design but one is an AR tetradrachm and the other AE13. How many of the bronzes equaled the value of the tet when issued? There are many variations of the tet but mine is low grade and missing most of the minor details in the field necessary to distinguish it.
    from CNG:
    Demetrios I Poliorketes. 306-283 BC. circa 300-295 BC. Nike alighting atop prow of galley left, blowing trumpet she holds in her right hand, and holding stylis in her left /Poseidon Pelagaios, nude, standing left, throwing trident held in his right hand, mantle over his left arm

In his book, Early Hellenistic Coinage, Otto Mørkholm states that this obverse type "has been connected with one of the greatest works of art of Antiquity, the Nike of Samothrace in the Louvre, but the general opinion is now that the statue is somewhat later in date and there is no direct connection between them. This, of course, does not exclude the possibility of the coin type having served as model or inspiration for the statue."
    g92187bb3051.jpg g92190bb0778.jpg
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=38272

TheRed, Ajax, TIF and 9 others like this.
  10. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

11. Ryro

I finally took a pic of my latest love and figured this would be the thread to post it in. It's my new Demetrius Poliorketes (the Besieger)!!! Thanks again @ominus1 Monophthalmus (Monominus1phthalmus #newnicknamecoined)
    20180314_175442.jpg 20180314_175514.jpg

Demetrios Poliorketes
    Æ15. Amphipolis, circa 294-288
    BC. Macedonian shield with
    monogram in boss / BA-ΣΙ,
    crested Macedonian helmet,
    bunch of grapes in left field.
    Newell, Demetrius 130. 4.24g,
    17mm

12. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

haha!..i'll keep an eye out 4 that!:jimlad:

Ryro likes this.
  13. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Here is a 12-11 mm "bronze half":

DemetriusPoliorcetesAE12.jpg
    Head of Demetrius right wearing Corinthian helmet with bull's horn (weak, straight up above the ear)
    prow right, above B A

Sear Greek 6775 variety. SNG Copenhagen Macedonia 1192, struck at Tarsos 298-295.

Marsyas Mike, Ajax, TheRed and 6 others like this.
  14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice write-up @TheRed ! Well done.

I have various examples of the Diadochi...
    and I do have Demtrios I Poliorketes, although it is not a great example:
    Makedon AE 15mm Demetrios I Poliorketes 294-288 BCE Zeus Athena.jpg
    Makedon AE 15mm Demetrios I Poliorketes 294-288 BCE Zeus Athena

His Father, Antigonos I Monopthalmus:
    upload_2018-3-18_7-55-9.png
    Makedon Antigonos I Monopthalmus 319-305 BC AR Drachm Magnesia and Maeandrum Mint 3.9g 16.5mm Herakles lion-Zeus
    Served as one of Philip II's (Alexander's Father) Generals. When called upon by Alexander, he served to protect Alexanders supply lines from Makedon through Persia during Alexander's War with Darius III. Antigonos the "One-Eyed"

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Marsyas Mike, Ajax, TheRed and 7 others like this.
  16. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I like the coins of Poliketes. I really like the tetradrachm which looks like it was inspired by the Nike of Samothrace now in the Louvre. Mine came out of the hoard that was being dispersed about 10 15 years ago. I also have a portrait t demetriospoli2.jpeg demetriospoli3.jpg etradrachm as well.

17. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

That is a great Pyrrhus, I've always wanted one of those. I think he is one of the most impressive of all the Diadochi and his military exploits were unrivaled. No less than Hannibal thought of him as one of the greatest military minds. If only he had had greater resources he might have been able to really threaten Rome.

There is a really fun book of historical fiction about the siege of Rhodes that makes for an enjoyable read. It's also pretty cheap as a used paper back.
    220px-Bronze_god_of_rhodes.jpg

ominus1, Ryro and Alegandron like this.
  18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I agree @TheRed . It is why I jumped on my Pyrrhus a few years ago...

upload_2018-3-18_14-22-57.png
    Syracuse Sicily Pyrrhus
    Epirus 278-276 BCE
    AE Litra 11.4g 23.3mm
    Herakles Nemaean Lion scalp -
    Athena Promachos thunderbolt shield
    SNG Cop 813, SNG ANS 852

It is all for History!

Marsyas Mike, Bing, ominus1 and 5 others like this.
  19. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

"Long winded"? No: long remembered, more like! I love to steal your writeups and put them in my database. :) (With due credit, of course!)

Here's my budget version of the portrait tet, issued in preparation for the invasion of Asia Minor. My notes on it say that it is the first portrait of a living human as a god. Not sure if that's true...

Wow, @Terence Cheesman's is phenomenal!

Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 1.01.29 PM.jpg

20. Ryro

Thanks and RIGHT!?!? How cool was that guy. His 2nd (he lost the 3rd battle he had with them) "victory" over the Romans is the reason we call it a "pyrrhic victory".

Definition: "A Pyrrhic victory (/ˈpɪrɪk/ ( listen) PIRR-ik) is a victory that inflicts such a devastating toll on the victor that it is tantamount to defeat. Someone who wins a Pyrrhic victory has been victorious in some way, though the heavy toll negates a true sense of achievement or profit."

He and the Romans had both sustained massive casualties (Plutarch gives #s of 15,000 Romans and 13,000 Greeks).
    Once the battle was over, and the Romans had been chased off the battlefield, one of his generals came and congratulated him on the hard fought victory. His response, classic, "If we are "victorious" one more time, we shall be utterly ruined!"
    Did he really say it. I don't know. But man what a sound bite it would have made.
    I'll have to check the book out. I love historic reads (hopefully it's on audible).

21. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Reviving this thread because I just got my very first Demetrios I Poliorketes - a humble little bronze.

Mine has the aphlaston to the left of the prow, and looking at these online, I was a bit puzzled by attribution - is the head on the obverse Athena or Demetrios? The information on the web shows it both ways (both examples on this thread also have the aphlaston and are described as either a male/Demetrios head).

The other puzzle is the mint - some say Salamis, some Tarsos. Any help much appreciated.

Here is a Roma Auction describing this coin with Athena on the obverse and minted at Salamis: https://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotv...&Lot=252&Val=5bae4d6fcca381f723cdd57ae17ea643

Macedon - Demetrios I Poliorketes - AE head & prow Apr 2020 (0).jpg
    Macedon Æ 13
    Demetrios I Poliorketes
    (c. 306-283 B.C.)
    Salamis Mint (or Tarsos?)

Helmeted head of Athena (or Demetrios?) right, with bull's horn / Prow right; BA above, aphlaston to left, [monogram] and X below.
    SNG Alpha Bank 954-5.
    (1.79 grams / 13 x 10 mm)

Alegandron, ominus1, TheRed and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted