The beauty of coin collecting

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by OldSilver, Mar 14, 2012.

1. OldSilver

OldSilver New Member

Hey everybody. This post requires no response, its simplly me ranting. I was just looking at large cents on ebay (not that i would ever buy such an expensive coin from the bay) and i had a moment where my awe of these coins was taken to the next level (not just of large cents, but older coins in general) i think it is so amazing to be able to hold something in your hand that was made over 150 years ago. And the fact that it is something that was used everyday and has so much history in it just makes me drool from awe. Personally i think that the USA always has and still is the greatest nation of all time. Being able to see (or maybe even hold at a coin show) a coin that was standard issue in the beginning of our countries coinage history just makes me appreciate coins so much more. And to see how they have been everchanging throughout the years is so cool to me. This is all just my opinion about why coins are great. Feel free to share your opinion as well. And remember to appreciate coons. The ones you have, and the ones you plan to get, or wish for.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

I'd say that about 70% of my collectors drive is from the history. I am currently visiting my sister in Kentucky and drove through Hermatage T.N. Had no Idea that it was where Old Hickory grew up/lived. Just thinking about those large cents that were around in his day...

4. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

I would hate to do this to you OldSilver...but, but, you should really check out Chris McCawley's website of old coppers. If you like large cents now, you'll really love them after you check out his inventory!

5. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

My father collected coins and I never showed ANY interest in it. He's gone now and with his collection I've added to it continuing what he started 60 years ago. I often think how fun it would have been to discuss the hobby with him, and chat about this or that coin! Man-o-man do I ever miss him...

6. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Although my dad is still here, this statement really hits home for me. He gave me his entire collection a few years ago, feeling his mortality. I also never had any interest in it for the first 35 years of my life. What a shame. What a great common factor to be close with your dad. :(

7. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I do notice that when a person collects coins purely for enjoyment its usually the history of the item that drives them. In a way its kind of like antiques, a well worn coin is a part of history. It might have been used by someone famous or during an important time.

8. Johnny Ringo

Johnny Ringo Member

My dad resented me for collecting coins...also for joining gymnastics & lacrosse and skiing...

I was a,talented wrestler and that's all that mattered to,him
    Everything else was a distraction

I got a,scholarship,for,it witch was nice but there was a price to pay

9. Johnny Ringo

Johnny Ringo Member

On happier note I brought his grand daughters to him last weekend...

He saw my red book witch also,serves as my data base (so I never leave home without it)

So he gives me this pinnocio piggi bank that has been his bed room door stopper since I,was a kid....and tells me to look through it.

I,found three hole wheaties!!!! Thre pennies worth 15 cents each !!!!

But I do live them and they will have a place in my collection.

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I like the OP used to be in awe of the history of the pieces and collected US coins for about 20 years.

However, if you think that history is impressive, try holding a coin with Napolean Bonaparte, William the Conquerer, King Henry VIII, Cleopatra VII, Octavian, Alexander the Great, Ghengis Khan, etc. The world literally is your oyster if you broaden your horizons. :)

Chris

11. largecent37

largecent37 Coin Collector

I just wish that coins could talk. Imagine the stories they could tell after so many years!

12. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

i'm right there with you. i'm getting further and further away from usa coins and more into ancient and medieval ones. much more history with the coins.

13. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Are you soliciting Ancients again? ;)

I agree, I had a dealer come into my coin club and I had nothing but questions to ask him about his ancients and he had nothing but answers and more to give right back to me. Such an interesting bloody history to coins :yes:

14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Just throwing it out there man. :)

Hey, I have about 40 books on US coinage, I studied it fairly well as well. Not saying anything at all is wrong with it, just saying the opportunity has to stop at our shores.

15. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Not trying to badmouth it at all, but It came onto me as sounding like I was with my mom looking for a car last month. Haha. I do appreciate the history and beauty of the Ancients though. :)

16. splintercellsz

splintercellsz CTs Local DJ

I collect for the history, and the amazement at how many different coins were produced, etc. I just love it.

17. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I buy large cents on Ebay all the time and have regularly paid less than what I could find them anywhere else. I don't know how many R-3 to R-5 examples I've picked up for under $40. Take another look and maybe pick a few up so that little piece of history is literally within your grasp. It may open up a new avenue of collecting for you to enjoy.
    Guy

18. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

I don't know how many R-3 to R-5 examples

Education time Coleguy, what are these examples?

19. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Some stories would be interesting & some not so interesting.....

Do you have a BU Morgan dollar in your collection? It would probably talk about being stuck in the middle of a canvas bag inside a dark & cold treasury vault for about 70 years. Then it would describe how it was freed to experience life in a coin collector’s album for about 20 more years before it became imprisoned in a plastic slab.

20. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Im fascinated by the history as well. Ive always collected US a little Canadian and a little British coinage. But Ive got several books on ancients arriving at my door today.
    Not that I need more to buy, but I would like to not be completely ignorant of what all these cool looking ancients are out there. Alot more of a time period to cover to say the least.

Ill probably dabble in them a bit just as I do with foreign stuff. Ancients are cool. I used to not give them a passing thought.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk

21. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Large cent varieties with rarity ratings of R-3 (scarce) to R-5 (rare 31-75 known). Many sellers on Ebay don't know or don't bother to look up the varieties so they sell for common prices. In fact, just recently an N-5 1825 was picked up on Ebay for almost nothing...the only known example of this variety. Not by me, unfortunatelly.
    Guy

Draft saved Draft deleted