The beat goes on. Ladi dadi da

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

As one who is known to hyperbolate (just go with it, he’s on a role) his own hyperbole, If I round up from three weeks to a month, forgive me. Time has slowed down immeasurably

upload_2020-3-29_15-52-33.gif

and a package I’d ordered from Artemide, in Italy:nailbiting: no less, took three solid weeks to show up in tracking, stretched its legs a bit in New York and inspections, and finally arrived yesterday. I had been told that nothing was being shipped out of there. So it was a big surprised:woot::)
    The coins had been won on Feb 29 and in transit for long enough that, from what peer reviewed doctors say is the length that COVID-19 can stay alive on Metal or plastic (3 days), I felt safe in opening the package to remove the treasures inside and throw away the packaging directly into my outside dumpster. Immediately went and washed my hands for 30 seconds,

Ran back to make sure everything was intact and looking good...
    And it was looking real good!
    The main “target” of the batch I will be excluding from this post, so she can have her own grand reception:kiss::snaphappy:
    But the 40 euro snack pack of buddies that came along symbolizes one of my favorite rushes:wideyed: of the hobby. Identifying strange and unique Greek coins:pompous:
    Had a nice overcast day yesterday, so here’s their pics and the best I could muster with an iPhone 7:

7AE7E9FD-0267-4A1E-B3A8-77AB84DAC104.jpeg

The brute from Bruttium! A rather menacing looking helmeted Mars hunk of metal was certainly the initial factor that drew me to the lot. I’d wanted one of these beasts:punch: for years! And this guy is just so hard to show off in pics due to that screaming:rage: green patina:troll::

67A7D983-0623-4729-883B-CEF60354C25C.jpeg 2D4D5623-7DA8-48EF-94E5-93B20385BF32.jpeg BRUTTIUM. The Brettii.
    Ae Didrachm (214-211 BC).
    Obv: Helmeted and bearded head of Mars left.
    Rev: BPETTIΩN.
    Nike standing left, erecting trophy; star between.
    SNG ANS 38.
    Condition: Good very fine.
    Weight: 14.3 g.
    Diameter: 23 mm. Ex ArtemideAste

Next up seems almost certainly from Syracuse. I thought for sure this was Hiketas II, but since then I’ve seen some “second’s democracy” coins that look very close. Insights are appreciated.
    A864A0B4-D0A8-4E36-81B6-8D64340EF3FD.jpeg D33E6D29-B3E7-4F68-B426-3726A0F86E44.jpeg

Here we have a tiny, heavily circulated, crystallized, unknown male wearing a crested helmet, kithara/lyre.
    24A6B919-3886-41A4-9F3F-B675303A4A22.jpeg
    8FD706A6-667B-4CCD-8AD0-1D32AB1ADB7B.jpeg
    Possibly Karia, .09gr 10MM
    ECD7955A-EE36-4F35-B0C5-22412A9D8CA6.jpeg 27EBC540-44E1-4786-BB5D-AEBFBA012BCA.jpeg

Head (Herakles?) Barley w/ 1 pellet
    .04 gr 8MM

Thoughts, corrections, anything related and recent acquisitions are appreciated!

Sulla80, Ajax, Pavlos and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Looks like you have a "bronze disease" challenge on the Syracuse coin that needs urgent attention.

Stevearino, dougsmit and Ryro like this.
  4. Ryro

I almost posted about that. I was certain from the original pic that it was BD. Adding to the aggravation of an extended wait (I wanted to get the Sicilian into distilled water asap!)
    When I received it I found the light green was not flaky. Nevertheless, due to the neon green coloring and purpleish red around it(usually a sign of previous flare ups) it is taking a distilled water bath, will get a scrub and the good old bad thad especial.

Stevearino, Curtisimo and Alegandron like this.
  5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I believe that little Athena/Lyre silver is from Lesbos. That type came in various denominations, including bronze. 0.9 grams makes it an obol. Compare to others at acsearch here. A very rare coin in any grade.

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Awesome line up, Dude! A plethera of coolness. Somehow, I had no concerns with that little Sicilian... but the cautious distilled bathing of that Baby, is always prudent. Well done!

The Bretti-Brat is my favorite... You know me; the Punic Wars always excites!

BONUS POINTS! All are BCE, none of that "Modern" CE schtuff! Nice!

And, super-congrats / good-feelings that the coins wended their way through the Shipping / Customs / New York black-hole OBSTACLE COURSE! Great feeling that they are in the new home!

I will toss on a Bruttium Second Punic War...

upload_2020-3-29_20-52-35.png
    Bruttium, Carthaginian Occupation
    AR Half-Shekel.
    3.26g, 19mm, 12h.
    Punic mint in Bruttium, circa 216-211 BC. Struck during the Second Punic War.
    Obv: Wreathed head of Tanit left
    Rev: Horse standing right; solar disk above, Punic letter 'ayin' below.
    Ref: SNG Copenhagen 361-3; HN Italy 2016.

I think the 'O' under the Horse's belly means: "HANNIBAL WAS HERE!" in-die graffiti :D :D :D

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  7. Ryro

Thanks JA. I had seen those in my search but the only ones around the same size were the bronzes and mine is AR. I thought these https://www.acsearch.info/search.ht...s=1&thesaurus=1&order=0&currency=usd&company= looked more alike, but I couldn't find any this small...

Alegandron likes this.
  8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Ryro likes this.
  9. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Thanks. Now I'm gonna have that Sonny & Cher tune stuck in my head for the next three days.

Fun thread otherwise.:)

Ryro likes this.
  10. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Ryro likes this.
  11. Ryro

What a wonderful catch and identification, Pavlos! How cool! Thank you so much. What I thought was the bottom of the lions jaw from Herakles hat is actually the horn that Apollo Carneius wears!

12. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

@Ryro An interesting mix - your coin from "Syracuse" looks a bit like mine from Bruttium ;)
    Bruttium Nike.jpg
    Bruttium, The Brettii, circa 211-208 BC, Reduced Semuncia AE
    Obv: Winged bust of Nike left
    Rev: BPETTIΩN, Zeus driving fast biga left
    Size: 3.30g, 15.5mm, 12h

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  13. Ryro

Mine looks like the homely step cousin of yours. Nevertheless, I think youre on to something!

Sulla80 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted