The BEARDED challenge

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

I'm amazed every time I start a new "Challenge" by the generosity of CT's members and also by the wide diversity of coinage which is posted here. Most of the time, Roman and Greek coins are showed in those threads. For some time I have been brainstorming myself to find a subject that can expand the sampling when we emphasize a certain iconographic characteristic. I believe I found one. The beard. We all know it is for millenium a symbol of virility, a sign of wisdom, strength, sexual prowess and high social status for men. (I would especially not be accused of sexism by women suffering from hirsutism, but the female disciples of Annie Jones are rather rare).

[​IMG]
    A picture taken in 1900 of Annie Jones, a bearded lady...

In Ancient civilizations in Mesopotamia, India and China, it was common to wear a long beard. Even Assyrians and Phoenicians proudly wore it. For the Hebrews, there was even a law forbidding the shaving of this masculine attribute :"Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard" (Leviticus 19:27). Herodotus (II, 36) says the Egyptians shaved the hair both of the face and of the head. For the men it was a sign of mourning or of slovenliness to let the hair and beard grow. For this reason Joseph, when taken out of prison, shaved before being brought into the presence of Pharaoh. (Gen.41:14) However, false beards as well as wigs were worn by the Egyptians. For a Greek, a real man had to have a beard. The Spartans punished cowards by shaving off a portion of their beards. Alexandre the Great imposed an impeccable shave on his army! Obsessive mania? Hair phobia? Nothing of that ! In reality, it was a clever ploy so that enemies had the least amount of grip possible in hand-to-hand combat.

[​IMG]
    An Egyptian false beard

Beards remained rare among the Romans throughout the Late Republic and the early Principate. Celtic and Germanic tribes were in fact called "barbarians" ( from barbarus 'stranger', and barbe 'beard' in french). Even if Augustus let grow a beard in mourning for the death of Julius Caesar, Hadrian was the first emperor wearing a beard, according to Cassius Dio (the greek biographer Plutarch pretend he did it to hide scars on his face ). Until the time of Constantine I the emperors appear in busts and coins with beards; but Constantine and his successors, with the exception of Julian II, are represented as beardless.

[​IMG]
    Julian as portrayed by Giovanni Battista Cavalieri (1583)

So now the time for the Challenge : show us your examples of bearded character or deities on coins.
    Welcome to Roman, Greek, Parthian, Baktrian, Indian etc... collectors !

P.S. And don't forget: "The beard does not make the sage".

Maximianus Herculius

CF56085A-44FA-41A2-9F07-7845B762E608.jpeg

Septimius Severus
    6CC44161-83B4-4ED2-91BE-3401285E08AB.jpeg

Tetricus
    C0E5D077-101D-42DE-9E3D-FAD350ABE3DD.jpeg

Licinius I
    D9022843-9510-48F4-9976-FC9B940674CF.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..here's two good beards...:) Marcus Aurelius Lucius Verus ..the 6 good emp. silver complete 001.JPG Marcus Aurelius Lucius Verus ..the 6 good emp. silver complete 002.JPG Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus denari

Theodosius, galba68, Bing and 14 others like this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

1/ Constans III
    2/ Marcus Aurelius/ Lucius Verus/ Eupator 2cbfeb901ad8b139950cc8a0cb2a9aba.jpg 4a05d0f1195e34ccb796b3427292ec06.jpg ffb6bff87c18776267b70c320089bd2f.jpg e958770a0c7f80ad79f10acf444a847e.jpg IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0072.JPG IMG_0073.JPG
    3/ Constantine IV
    4/ Zeus
    5/6/ Diocletian/ Jupiter
    7/8 Constantius I Chlorus

5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Tacitus and Gallienus with neck beard:

P1220132.JPG P1160927b.jpg

Theodosius, galba68, Bing and 15 others like this.
  6. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Marcus Aurelius with a bad beard day:

BF187C3B-E499-40D6-B6B4-F17B6FA0C057.jpeg

Theodosius, galba68, Bing and 13 others like this.
  7. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Hey @panzerman , I have to admit:nothing's better than a gold beard !

8. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I know, not an ancient but I have plenty of beards in my collection. This one and my Avatar are probably my favorites.

GerBru170501.jpg

9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

1) Neck beards should not be allowed
    2) That Byzantine beard is ZZ Top worthy
    3) Since I studied Egyptian Archaeology, I wear a false beard every day

[​IMG]

10. panzerman

Thanks! I myself have never grown a beard, probably look younger without beard.

11. TuckHard

TuckHard Well-Known Member

-216--206 BCE (circa) AE Chalkous of Katane 4.42g.jpg
    Circa 216-206 BCE
    Greek city-state of Katane
    Present-day Catania, Sicily
    AE Chalkous
    Obv: Busts of Serapis and Isis
    Rev: KATANAION to left, Apollo standing left with column to the right, holding a branch and bow​

Bing, Roman Collector, Ryro and 14 others like this.
  12. svessien

svessien Senior Member

This is Severus Alexander with a somewhat special beard:

52E2BABA-E2C5-47A6-BD75-E343133C3ADC.jpeg

13. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Neither do I. The furthest I've gone is to grow a mustache a few years ago for Movenber. My wife didn't want to kiss me for the whole month, so I gave up...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  14. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I can't grow one. It comes in in a tri-colored fashion - blonde, red, and brown and is quite sparse.

15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Acheloos or Man-Faced-Bull with Beard

[​IMG]
    Sicily Gela AR Litra Horse-Achelous 0.63g 13mm 465-450 BCE HGC 2 p 373

16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

These always reminded me of ZZTop with cropped beards...

[​IMG]
    Celtic Imitation Philip II 2nd C BCE AR Drachm Kugelwange type- Danube Valley - pecunum auction

[​IMG]
    Celt Imit Philip II 2nd C BCE AR Drachm Zeus Horse pellet-in-annulet above Kugelwange type- Danube Valley - Kostial 508 OTA 204

17. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Here are a few prominent beards:

Zeus, on a Syracuse 16 litrai:
    16litrai.jpg

Dionysis, on a Thasos hemidrachm:
    Thasos.jpg

Heracles, on a Metapontum stater:
    HeraclesMeta.jpg

Serapis, on a provincial bronze:
    Serapis.jpg

18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Parthians:
    Mithradates II
    op0060bb1460.jpg

Vologases VI - beard overlaps circle of dots
    op0350bb0803.jpg

19. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

A few of my favorite beards...

upload_2020-3-2_17-25-4.png

upload_2020-3-2_17-27-30.png

upload_2020-3-2_17-28-33.png

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Would someone run through why we see Constans II and Constans III ID's both coming to power in 641? I see more than one reference to III. Is there a dispute on this?

21. panzerman

According to revsions in ERIC-II
    Constans II 409-11AD was the son of Emperor Constantine III/ Augustus in 409-11
    Thus the Constans II ( outdated books) is now
    Constans III
    Mr. Saurez has many new additions/ revisions in ERIC-II/ so older references are now obsolete.
    John

Draft saved Draft deleted