The ANACS Grade the Graders Ike 1973 P MS Dollars (20/20)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by cplradar, Aug 14, 2021.

?

What grade would you give this coin - Anacs grade will be revealed. Grading the graders

Poll closed Aug 21, 2021.
  1. MS61

5.9%
  2. MS62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MS63

17.6%
  4. MS64

23.5%
  5. MS65

41.2%
  6. MS66

11.8%
  7. MS67

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. MS68

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

I agree! Same Standard.

Mac McDonald likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

The "mark" is common among mint state Ikes and doesn't effect value, only appeal. I believe the stripes are planchet flaws which were normally tossed out on the proof and most silver strikes...any comment here from Ike collectors?

Mac McDonald likes this.
  4. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

I have 20 uncirculated 1973 Ike's with no marks.

5. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I sugges t you get them graded then because they can be marketed for suprising values.

capthank likes this.
  6. capthank

Should I get all the 1973 D business strike, 1973 P business strike and 1973 S proof graded?

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

No on the proof issue.

chascat likes this.
  8. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I am excited to see your results with the business strikes. the proofs are mundane.

chascat likes this.
  9. capthank

The reverse on the Brown Ike's don't have the three islands but I'll pick the better business strikes and see what I get. I'll have a LCD help me select which ones to send in. Thanks

10. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

The 1973-D in my registry set is the closest I’ve seen in hand to a proof-like. What is truly remarkable about it is how clean the bust is. It is virtually mark free. The entire surface of the coin has a glossy, mirror-like finish.

CFF3F5D3-75E0-4805-A512-1CECD0AE89E8.jpeg

My 1973 Philly is probably one of the finest “65” specimens in existence. Lots of luster present with virtually no marks as well- a truly unusual characteristic for this issue.

C383B915-451F-4A8A-B7BA-86CDA87B47B2.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  11. chascat

Those are truly gem quality Ikes...a very rare find!

Ike Skywalker likes this.
  12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Check the sales prices and see what grade you would need to make it worth it. The 73-P youd need a 65, I think the 73-D you need a 66.

13. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

I agree.

14. chascat

I think the both could make an easy 66 today.

15. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

That is fairly common (although against the fact that there are millions of them) in terms of the surface, and more than a couple of the ikes I put up are similar is the surface. It is just not obvious because of the size and detail of the images. Howevere, I would not call it booming luster. I'll get back to this a little later, and maybe post a small video of the coin(s) in question. Definetely more proof like. clad steel is an alloy that resists flow.

16. capthank

Auction Ikes 2.jpg I will have my LCD advise me as what might grade well enough to be worthwhile. My latest auction purchase is disappointing because of the Auction House carelessness with shipping me the coins. View attachment 1351643 View attachment 1351643

MIGuy likes this.
  17. capthank

18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Just as a heads up, most LCS cant grade moderns nor do they care about them

19. capthank

He is in our coin club and is very helpful. He sent in two of my Chinese 1 oz Gold Pandas and they received higher grades than he expected. Of course I will have one or two club members help also. Thanks.

MIGuy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted