The ANACS Grade the Graders Ike 1973 P MS Dollars (20/20)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by cplradar, Aug 14, 2021.

?

What grade would you give this coin - Anacs grade will be revealed. Grading the graders

Poll closed Aug 21, 2021.
  1. MS61

5.9%
  2. MS62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MS63

17.6%
  4. MS64

23.5%
  5. MS65

41.2%
  6. MS66

11.8%
  7. MS67

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. MS68

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Last one are you sure ? LOL :hilarious::hilarious:
    Thanks for sharing !:happy:

micbraun and fretboard like this.
  4. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

are you sure it's over?
    Now that this exercise is finally complete, the Question: exactly what is the hoped for conclusion to this multi-post exercise?

5. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

To be brutally honest, I lost interest halfway through. Each image has the same peach color and lack of luster. Undoubtedly, the coins look different in hand but guessing the grade became immaterial. JMHO

micbraun and fretboard like this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

chascat likes this.
  7. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

The hope is to evaluate the ANACs grading standards for mondern IKEs

8. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

A noble undertaking; I certainly "hope" you are able to acquire a statistically significant sampling to overcome the possibility of your hope becoming an exercise in futility.

cplradar likes this.
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Twenty coins is a nice sample size. These threads have helped me understand the standards that ANACS uses on these, a bit better.

capthank likes this.
  10. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

11. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Nothing negative whatsoever about your comments other than a reply in general to your reply/point. Then it's to find and analyze the Ike grading standards for PCGS...and then for NGC...and so-on. What's with all these TPGs having their own grading standards, anyway...what happened to the ANA standards, or at least a common/SAME set of grading standards used by ALL the TPG's...? Needs to change.

12. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Looks like one of those usually invisible (but visible here) counter or roller "wheels" (whatever) went across the reverse...automatic rejection to the "details" heap :woot:. More seriously, whether it is or isn't, nothing wrong with the coin to render it ineligible for a straight grade, so will say 64...but higher if not for the mark, whatever it's from.

capthank likes this.
  13. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Good eye. I like Ike's and this exercise is helping me put together a high grade set hopefully.

14. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I know that looking over so many similar coins this can be tedious. Imagine what it is like for the graders and the TPG company. It has already enlightened me about some things with regard to these coins, specifically that they are hard to grade because Planche chatter is so noisy and needs to be considered for the grade. Grading Morgans is much easier.

capthank likes this.
  15. capthank

I agree.

cplradar likes this.
  16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

With all of the bag marks and scratches, I wouldn't even give it an MS grade, but maybe that's just me. Only choice for me was MS61 as nothing lower was listed.

17. capthank

I think graders take into consideration the total population so anything in grade from 60 to 65 is good as far as I am concerned. I just won 120 Ike's in auction and look forward to going through them for better grades and varieties.

cplradar likes this.
  18. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

19. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Looks clean to me, but my eyes are not what they once were. Nor is any other organ system!

MIGuy likes this.
  20. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

That’s what I said when looking at one of the first coins. I was “corrected”, told they were produced like this and the pictures don’t show the luster. Go figure.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  21. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

ms-65

cplradar and chascat like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted