The aegis of Minerva/Athena

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Ever since I purchased a Domitian Minerva denarius from @Ken Dorney , I have wondered, "What kind of bizarre garment is that on Minerva's back?"

Domitian Minerva denarius.jpg
    Domitian, AD 81-96
    Roman AR denarius; 3.43 g, 18 mm
    Rome, AD 91
    Obv: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR XI (error; should read TR P XI), laureate head, right
    Rev: IMP XII COS XV CENS P P P, Minerva advancing right, brandishing a javelin and holding a shield
    Refs: RIC 156; RIC² 724; BMCRE p. 336, note; Cohen 269; RCV --

Here's a closeup:

Domitian Minerva closeup.jpg

Well, thanks to a tip from @Nemo , who describes the figure of Minerva on a similar coin in @Orfew 's Domitian denarius thread as "Minerva standing right ... aegis draped over back with snakes around," and some googling, I now have a much better understanding of the iconography of this coin.

Now, aegis (αἰγίς) literally means "goatskin" in ancient Greek, and that's what Zeus' aegis was made of, and at first I thought the spiky things on the garment on Minerva's back might be the legs of the goat used for the skin. But Nemo's coin description says "snakes around," so I checked the online version of Liddell & Scott's Greek Lexicon, which goes into more detail:

Aegis 1.JPG

That clearly states that Athena/Minerva's aegis is bordered "with a fringe of snakes."

So, a bit of googling found these images, front and back, on pottery in the collections of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York and the Museum of Fine Arts Boston, respectively:

Aegis 2.jpg

Aegis 3.jpg

So, snakes they are!

Post anything you feel is relevant, of course!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Excellent write-up!

A number of years ago I did similar research and came to the same conclusions - aegis adorned with snakes. You have illustrated and explained it very thoroughly in your post!

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Here's her Greek counterpart sporting a lovely shawl aegis:

[​IMG]
    KINGS OF MACEDON, Antigonos II Gonatas
    277/6-239 BCE, struck after 270 BCE, Amphipolis mint
    AR tetradrachm, 31mm, 17.06 g
    Obv: head of Pan in center of Macedonian shield, lagobolon over shoulder; shield decorated with stars within crescents
    Rev: BASILEWS ANTIGONOU, Athena Alkidemos walking left, brandishing thunderbolt and shield; helmet left, EMP monogram right
    Ref: SNGCop 1200v, EMP (maybe); R. Martin, "A Third-Century B.C. Hoard from Thessaly at the ANS," ANSMN 26, 536 (same obv. die).
    ex Demetrios Armounta Collection

Athena looks very, uhm... physically fit on this coin :D. Look closely though... it's like an Escher drawing. Is her aegis draped across her back or across her front? Is she throwing the thunderbolt with her right arm or left? I think it is mean to be on her back, right arm throwing, but the way her elbow is shown looks like her left arm.

5. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

How true...

The nicest Aegis I can contribute with (the only one I guess :D)

[​IMG]
    Domitianus, As Rome mint, AD 85
    IMP CAES DOMITIAN AVG GERM COS XI, Laureate bust of Domitian right, with Aegis on left shoulder
    MONETA AVGVSTI, Moneta standing left, holding cornucopia and scales. SC in field
    11.08 gr
    Ref : Cohen #325, RCV #2807v

Q

Marsyas Mike, Orfew, bsr045 and 14 others like this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

AEGIS:

Pontos Amisos Gorgon Aegis-Nike AE21.JPG
    Pontos Amisos Gorgon Aegis-Nike AE21

7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Here's Minerva's aegis on the reverse of a Cordius Rufus denarius. Are those tasselly things around the fringe of the aegis supposed to be snakes, or just ties?

RR - Cordius Rufus Helmet 2076 new.jpg

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Interesting coin, Cuke! Moneta looks rather elderly :D

CT-Cuke-ElderlyMonetaWithWalker-Edited.jpg

Marsyas Mike, Smojo, bsr045 and 23 others like this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Funny! But @TIF, not all as elderly types use a walker (at least not yet).

bsr045 likes this.
  10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

:) :)

Q

bsr045 likes this.
  11. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Long before the Roman emperors took up the practice of wearing the aegis the Baktrian Greeks used this mysterious concept for their own fashion.

On this drachm of Menander we see Athena wearing a medium-sized aegis about her chest. Notice that the same style of dot is used on her shield and on Menander's helmet. Yes, he has an aegis-themed helmet!
    s7601.jpg

Although I don't have any there are some very impressive Baktrian tetradrachms with hats that are more obviously made of aegis material.

Later he goes full heroic. On this drachm Athena drapes the aegis over her arm while throwing a lighting bolt. Menander has taken off that stodgy hat and is in full "beast mode" with spear and an aegis covering his left shoulder.
    menander-aegis-both.jpg

12. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

No most of them use a scootmobile these days, Domitian was one of the first who used one, according to this picture:

aabb.png

Orfew, lordmarcovan, Volodya and 17 others like this.
  13. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

14. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Some more Indo-Greek example:
    Antimachus II:
    AntimachIIAESquareWeb2a.jpg

Another Menander:
    MenanderHelmetedBop16iW.jpg

15. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Hadrian Sestertius Roma 117 AD Fortuna
    521Hadrian RIC543.jpg

Hadrian Denarius Roma 132-34 AD Justitia
    349Hadrian RIC214.jpg

16. Okidoki

Hadrian Denarius Antioch 119-22 AD Aequita standing
    275Hadrian Antioch BMCRE 3.jpg

EGYPT, Alexandria. Hadrian Tetradrachm 123-24 AD Eagle standing
    305 P Hadrian Emmett836.jpg

17. Okidoki

Hadrian Denarius 134-38 AD Minerva standing Eastern mint
    796 P Hadrian eastern mint Strack36var.JPG

18. Roman Collector

That's knee-slappin' HILARIOUS!

19. Roman Collector

I found a great website with more info. Check out Bill Welch's page about the aegis.

20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted