The 70 Point Sheldon Grading System

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by jody526, Jun 3, 2007.

1. timothytrout

timothytrout UberCoinN00b

What exactly ARE the old standards? I'm new to this, but based upon the base 10 numerical system we use - also arbitrary, but it has attained mass usage - I would say that a 100 point grading scale would make sense. Like measuring temperature in Celsius. . . but then again, why would we do that?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

So how much does it cost to have coins graded, I heard on one of the auction channels that it cost $30 bucks a coin, is that true?

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It depends on the coin and the grading tier you decide to submit it under. Grading fees are determined what tier you choose and the value of the coin. The more expensive the coin, the more it cost. But it can basically range anywhere from say $10 if you get a bulk discount to several hundred dollars - per coin.

As for the old standards, you'd have to read Brown & Dunn's grading standards. They were the first, published back in 1949. Not having a copy at my fingertips right now they went something like this - AG - G - F - VF - XF - Unc - and that's it.

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah, I remember those when I was younger, alot younger. In fact when I got back into collecting I was shocked to find this new grading system. As someone said above, comic books and baseball cards had been done so the grading of coins was just a matter of time, and money. :vanish:

6. jessash1976

jessash1976 Coin knowledgeable

Does anyone have a Sheldon list for Large cents handy. I would like to go through mine, to see if I have anything of worth.

7. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

hmmmm...somebody has breen doing some reading???

:secret:

8. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

9. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

My 1971 Red Book lists them like that. Do you recall what year it changed?

Say...it says here I can buy a "Unc" 1916-d Mercury dime for $675 (WooHoo!) :D

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

1977 - and it evolved from there.

11. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

It's still a BUFFALO

Humm....my 1962 15th Rdition Yeoman's lists the 1916D for a meager $400.

12. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

It pays to get the key dates early! ;)

13. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Just curious about how this relates to paper?? Same system??

14. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

great thread. theres copies of both the books EARLY AMERICAN CENTS and PENNY WHIMSEY on ebay which i might bid on in the next few days.

15. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Anybody????

16. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Over my head

Actually, parts of this did go over my head. I am very new to the numismatic world. I just like coins, always have and always will. Since my interests are starting to cost me more money than I can really afford, I felt it was time I become a little more informed.

17. Texas John

Texas John Collector of oddments

Some people manage to be heroes and scalawags in a single lifetime. Breen was a pedophile, as was the H in DHL. Woodrow Wilson was a racist, Henry Ford an incorrigible antisemite. JFK was a drug addict, it goes on and on.

Shakespeare wrote that the evil that men do lives after them, while the good is oft interred with their bones. Luckily, that isn't always true, and the good deeds of evil men can live after them, too.

18. Owle

Owle Junior Member

Since the coin crack out experts can estimate grade by the 1/10th, it would be good to have a 700 point scale. The transition would be a lot easier than a change from 1 to 100 scale, and it would allow unlimited potential for future generations of enthusiasts! So instead of a coin being a MS 62.7, it would be a MS627. A dollar figure could be assigned, expanded coin dealer newsletter price sheets and CW "Trends", more work for the folks at the other pricing guides too.

As the coin industry continues to evolve with artificial intelligence increasingly powerful and "human", qualitative analysis will get more and more refined.

19. Owle

Owle Junior Member

So true and insightful. If you do a moral, ethical, racial or psychological analysis of any given person you can find flaws. We enjoy this game a lot more when it's the stars that are being profiled. When it is your neighbor next door who was found to have been a closet terrorist or found with a gun cache that would be sufficient to arm an entire gang of wackos, it is a lot less fun. But when the arrests are made in such cases it never ceases to amuse when the neighbors are interviewed and with shock and disbelief, each and every one says they regarded the fellow as a decent bloke, couldn't have imagined he/she would have been this type of person. There but for the grace of God go I. Another friend of Bill W..

20. Strikeluster

Strikeluster New Member

This is why I buy the coin and not the slab as well as raw coins all the time. Its all a bit of risk sometimes I win sometimes not. Friend of Bill W. Hear to.

Steve

21. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Are you sure that's what you want ?

Are you sure you want ten times as much pricing data ? In the vast majority of cases, we don't need that kind of resolution; there isn't that much change in one point of grade in most cases.

Price variance from coin to coin, day to day, and deal to deal is much more than 1/10th of a point.

Draft saved Draft deleted